android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Q1 / Q2

Old 02-25-2010, 01:23 PM

Default How do I install the firmware updates on Q2 and rectify the hanging problem?

Hello. Need some help from the experts!

I recently bought a samsung yp-q2 16gb and was initially very impressed by it.l now. While the SQ is great its firmware is acting up.

I listen to a lot of flac files and had no issues for the last few weeks. However off late the player freezes/hangs when playing Flac and then I have had to reset it a few times only for it to freeze again when flac files were selected!

I even tried formatting, both quick and complete .it was of no use.

I looked for firmware updates and then when I tried installing the latest 1.2 version. It was not successful! My computer running vista and wmp11 does not recognise the player in the MTP pc connection as it used to,but does recognise it under the MSc connection option.

So as per the instructions I tried pasting it after double clicking on the q2 icon. I pasted the upgrade files (32mb) in the same place where there were other folders such as Music, Datacast, System, Videos. After unplugging the player from the usb, it decided to update the library and it froze! It did not switch off as expected.

I then had to reset to get rid of the freezing/hanging, and again tried pasting the updated firmware v1.20 in the SYSTEM folder this time. Once again did not work. After disconnecting off the usb it froze while trying to update the library.

Next attempt was by installing EmoDio. Again Emodio would recognise the media player only when i was connected in the MSC device connection option. Here i was able to look up the current firmware version (1.19) and then when i tried to update it using the update frmware option, it was a failure. The message I received was on the lines of an 'update is not available now'!

Need some expert help! does anyone know how this freezing/hanging issue can be sorted out and, how the firmware can be updated? Would sincerely appreciate your help! Thanks!

Last edited by bharat; 02-25-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

From what I remember (the 1.20 update was quite a while ago) I had to format the player after dropping the firmware onto it, then re-load my songs. It doesn't go into the system file, but onto the root itself, I think.

I've never had a FLAC on there for more than an hour or two, so I've never experienced the freezing you have.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:46 PM

How do I access the root? do you mean just pasting it where the other folders are present?

The latest release on the US website is as of august 2009 version 1.2 and my player has the 1.19 version and the 1.2 is meant to sort the freezing issue for flac.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat View Post
How do I access the root? do you mean just pasting it where the other folders are present?

The latest release on the US website is as of august 2009 version 1.2 and my player has the 1.19 version and the 1.2 is meant to sort the freezing issue for flac.
Yes, where the other folders are, just not into any of them. Also, I have almost always had mine in MSC, so I haven't had your connection issue either.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:56 PM

Seems by default it selects MTP as the connection option. It was working fine in MTP upto a few days ago and now when connected in mtp the os recognises it for just a few seconds and then poof, vanishes from my computer only to freeze again while trying to update the library.

Oh good lord...don't tell me I have a brick on my hands after spending so much1

Will format it now with the update in the root directory. Lets hopeit works. Thanks for being so co-operative and helpful mate!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Seems by default it selects MTP as the connection option. It was working fine in MTP upto a few days ago and now when connected in mtp the os recognises it for just a few seconds and then poof, vanishes from my computer only to freeze again while trying to update the library.

Oh good lord...don't tell me I have a brick on my hands after spending so much1

Will format it now with the update in the root directory. Lets hopeit works. Thanks for being so co-operative and helpful mate!
It comes in the box set in MTP mode, but you can switch it to MSC and leave it there, it makes things a lot easier. Almost the whole time I've had imne it's been in MSC. Good luck with your format!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:23 PM

Have tried formatting it and as usal once i disconnect the usb it tries updating the lirary and just freezes with the updating library screen! is this a new issue/bug? Its froszen... my brain's frozen...

Oh someone please help this lover of music and the q2!

BTW is there any such thing as MSC specific firmware upgrade file ?

Last edited by bharat; 02-25-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think there's only the one firmware file. Maybe format it before you add the firmware? If that doesn't work, there is a list of all the firmwares here
so maybe a different one might help?

Old 02-25-2010, 02:48 PM

Well I guess there not much else to do. Will give your ideas a ry. Keepin my fingers crossed!JUST HOPE SOMEONE FROM SAMSUNG READS THIS THREAD AND WORKS UP A SOLUTION!!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Well I guess there not much else to do. Will give your ideas a ry. Keepin my fingers crossed!
Good luck! It's a great sounding player, it would be sad if it was bricked.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:52 PM

I think the firmware itself is screwed. Guess what I set it to msc and then switched it off Its not turning back on ....unless..... you guessed it right >>>> RESET!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've been lucky....only had to press reset twice since I had this one. Of course, I've always had multiple players, so maybe I don't use it as much as some other people might.

I guess at this point, I would try one of the earlier firmwares, to see if that works...

Old 02-25-2010, 03:07 PM

Will try mate. Yes you been very lucky guess its martian luck!! Guess will have to go in for a clip+ soon. Is the SQ on the clip comparable to the Q2?

Old 02-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That's hard to say.....depends on the earphones you're using. The Q2 has a great equalizer and sound effects there, so you can make any earphone sound great with it. The Clip+ EQ isn't that great, but with well-balanced earphones it really sounds great. I mostly use mine with the JVC Flats.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:56 AM

Partial success!

Just managed getting the player to update but it still hangs

Realised it could be a user setting issue with windows itself. The upgrade file with the .dat extension was by default assigned the nero program to open. to get around this i created another admin user account and then downloaded the upgraded firmware. After formatting the player the firmware was copy pasted to the root directory of theplayer and then it was disconnected. When powered the upgrade install began and the screen blinked indicating that the install was happening, it went blank after a few mins.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:33 AM

Talking SOLVED!! firmware upgraded

Finally managed solving it (for now)
  1. Reset to get rid of the hanging/freezing
  2. Restart and in the setting options select MSC type of computer connection
  3. Connect it via usb
  4. Completely format the player
  5. Once the formatting's done drag and drop the firmware upgrade to the root directory
  6. Unplug the usb directly without trying the regular procedure of unistalling/removing a usb stick through the task bar
  7. once this is done. First you may see an updating library message that quickly changes to upgrading/installing firmware
  8. The updating message keeps blinking till it gets done. Aprrox a minute or so
  9. It shuts off
  10. Restart it again
  11. Reconnect via usb, transfer your music and your good to go.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good to hear! I would leave it in the MSC mode, and all should be fine. Doesn't look like the firmware will be updated anytime soon.