android
Old 10-25-2010, 12:48 PM

Default Ultimate Ears 350: First Impressions

Ok, so Best Buy officially has the new UE 350 and 500 in stock, two pairs I've been wanting to try out since their announcement back in September. I picked up the 350 today and here is my first impressions, after use for a few minutes (in other words, with zero burn-in time):

They really surprised me. I was expecting, for $50, a bloated, overwhelming bass, as they are advertised on the box as being "tuned with extra bass for deep, thumpin' beats." The bass is definitely prominent, but their sound signature upon first listen is less "warm" (sorry, I know some people hate that word, but it fits here I think) than the Klipsch S4. As far as clarity goes, I will say that despite the very prominent bassy signature, it does not drown out the rest of the spectrum (at least as far as my ears are concerned), and they have pleasingly smooth mids thus far--one of the highlights of the S4. I cannot get into any details here as I am no expert on this. Using the extra small silicone tips, I had no trouble whatsoever getting a comfortable fit, and they are small and lightweight. Overall, these $50 IEM's are a considerable bargain: sound quality upon first listen is very good to my ears. Soundstage is noticeably bigger than I expected (again, similar to that of the S4). As far as detail, instrument separation, etc., I think it is too early to make a judgement as I want to burn them in for some time to see how they sound a couple of weeks from now. I can say this confidently though: these are one of the best $50 IEMs I've yet heard, and I think I may have found a replacement for my S4, temporarily. In all likelihood, the 350's will not be as detailed as the S4 (for this price range), and probably not as detailed as the 500's above them which I have yet to try out. But anybody looking for a new pair of IEMs, go to Best Buy and pick these up if you are looking for a good upgrade from the stock earbuds, these will not disappoint for this price range.

Also, the Klipsch S3, also $50, are coming out next month, so I am looking forward to some serious comparative reviews.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-25-2010, 03:32 PM

To be honest, I never found the S4 to be a particularly good deal for its asking price of $80. My $35 meelelec M6 offers virtually the same objective sound quality (obviously making latitude for personal preference) while boasting much better fit and comfort.

Still, if the UE 350 can compare to the S4 at $50, then it's a step in the right direction for more mainstream brick and mortar IEMs.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 10-25-2010, 04:02 PM

Sounds like they are like S4's with a cleaner high mids/highs, which was my main problem with them. Luckly i got them on ebay for $65 shipping included so they were a great deal so i judge them less harshly.

I'm actually going to pick up some M6 sometime soon per your previous recommendation JxK. They look far more solidly built than the S4's cheap construction, and apparently offer a better mid/highs.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 10-25-2010, 06:30 PM

Adub, right now overstock is having a deal on the M6. If you don't mind the black color (as opposed to the more popular clear) you can purchase them for $18 with $1 shipping.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...7/product.html

I like them alot. The only thing I didn't like was the damnably annoying memory wire, though it's not just the M6. I dislike memory wire in general. Fortunately, removing it only takes a pair of nail scissors and 2 minutes of your time. Then they become very comfortable indeed.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 10-25-2010, 06:39 PM

I had read that the older models of the M6 had really hard memory wire and were a little uncomfortable because of it, and they changed them to be much softer is that true?

Appreciate the link, I'm definitely going to order them from overstock
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 10-25-2010, 06:50 PM

Yeah, they had a very hard copper memory wire which was quite uncomfortable. The new steel memory wire is much better. There's nothing actually wrong with it, my dislike of the memory wire is purely personal preference. And so far as I know, there are no versions of the M6 available with the old memory wire. So you can order without worry.

Edit: I look forward to hearing your impressions. I hope they end up being positive ones.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Last edited by JxK; 10-25-2010 at 07:03 PM.