android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 02-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Why the Next Gen Zune Needs to Also be the Xbox Portable

One interesting thing Microsoft has done in the past year is integrate all of their products together. Microsoft has even merged their Zune, Xbox and Windows Phone team together into one team. With this I believe Microsoft should make the next gen Zune a Xbox portable.

If you look at the gaming industry, Microsoft is the only major player that doesn't have a portable device. It would make sense that sooner or later that Microsoft would attempt to create a portable gaming console that is also a Zune media player. Microsoft already has a lot of industry supports in the gaming business so games shouldn't be a problem for them. I just feel that sooner or later Microsoft will attempt to create a portable gaming console and it is not like they are a new force in the business. Everyone already knows the Xbox name and Microsoft will be able to sell these much more than the Zune. If they are able to keep the Zune experience, then I see no reason why they shouldn't make an Xbox portable.

As I see now, if Windows Phone 7 does well in sales, the Zune will catch on and more Zune will be sold. However, if Microsoft also attach the Xbox name to it, there will be even more sales. And as everyone knows, the PSP Go was more or less a flop so I don't see the PSP as a real threat.

So I believe Microsoft next generation Zune should also be the Xbox portable. This along with the Windows Phone OS will create the ultimate mobile experience IMO. The only downside is that this will most likely be expensive. And if I was Microsoft, I make a Microsoft branded "Zune Phone" that is also an Xbox portable. Now that would be awesome.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
One interesting thing Microsoft has done in the past year is integrate all of their products together. Microsoft has even merged their Zune, Xbox and Windows Phone team together into one team.
Not to sidetrack the discussion, but this actually isn't true.

Here's the statement that Microsoft corporate PR made a couple of weeks ago:

"As Microsoft continues to advance its strategy to bring the best entertainment experiences to all the screens in our lives, a few strategic organizational announcements were made internally this week by Entertainment and Devices Division, President, Robbie Bach.

1. As a natural evolution of the Interactive Entertainment Business, our consumer products and experiences focused on games, movies, television, and music will now all be part of IEB, led by Senior Vice President, Don Mattrick.

2. In addition, Robbie announced the formation of a new centralized E&D services infrastructure team, which will act as a combined resource across the division.

3. Finally, Enrique Rodriguez has decided to move on from his leadership position running the TV, Video and Music business, and he is evaluating his next opportunity. The TVM first-party businesses run by Craig Eisler (Zune and Windows Media Center) will move into IEB, and Mediaroom, the TV platform business, will become a standalone group within E&D reporting directly to Robbie Bach."

Lots of corporate speak in there, but basically games, movies, tv and music consumer experiences (such as Xbox and Zune) are in the IEB (Interactive Entertainment Business) group.

Windows Phone (formerly Windows Mobile) hasn't moved - they're in MCB (Mobile Communications Business).

The Senior VP who runs IEB is a peer of the Senior VP who runs MCB. They both report to Robbie Bach, President of Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices Division.

Why is this important? Just wanted to clarify the comment above that suggested all products have merged together. That isn't the case, and I'd hate knarly rumours to form from this misinformation.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited by DaveMac-MS; 02-18-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Not to sidetrack the discussion, but this actually isn't true.

Here's the statement that Microsoft corporate PR made a couple of weeks ago:

"As Microsoft continues to advance its strategy to bring the best entertainment experiences to all the screens in our lives, a few strategic organizational announcements were made internally this week by Entertainment and Devices Division, President, Robbie Bach.

1. As a natural evolution of the Interactive Entertainment Business, our consumer products and experiences focused on games, movies, television, and music will now all be part of IEB, led by Senior Vice President, Don Mattrick.

2. In addition, Robbie announced the formation of a new centralized E&D services infrastructure team, which will act as a combined resource across the division.

3. Finally, Enrique Rodriguez has decided to move on from his leadership position running the TV, Video and Music business, and he is evaluating his next opportunity. The TVM first-party businesses run by Craig Eisler (Zune and Windows Media Center) will move into IEB, and Mediaroom, the TV platform business, will become a standalone group within E&D reporting directly to Robbie Bach."

Lots of corporate speak in there, but basically games, music, tv and music consumer experiences (such as Xbox and Zune) are in the IEB (Interactive Entertainment Business) group.

Windows Phone (formerly Windows Mobile) hasn't moved - they're in MCB (Mobile Communications Business).

The Senior VP who runs IEB is a peer of the Senior VP who runs MCB. They both report to Robbie Bach, President of Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices Division.

Why is this important? Just wanted to clarify the comment above that suggested all products have merged together. That isn't the case, and I'd hate knarly rumours to form from this misinformation.

Cheers, Dave.
Dave commenting on Xbox Portable Rumour, how ironic, i guess MS is really working on a Xbox Portable.

I'm sure as hell it would sell more than the entire Zune device sales. Who knows it may as well become a fierce competitor to DS and PSP.

Even though i don't consider Ipod Touch a worthwhile gaming device, but they sure have gotten the undivided attention of world.

Please Microsoft, make an Xbox Portable with Zune functionality,Without a touchscreen, and phone functionality, and make it affordable.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

In any case, I feel sooner or later that Microsoft will release an Xbox Portable with Zune on it because those will sell.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Vision View Post
Dave commenting on Xbox Portable Rumour, how ironic, i guess MS is really working on a Xbox Portable.
Or perhaps its just that you guys want to analyse every last tiny morsel of rumour, innuendo and hypothesis, that I thought I'd make things a little easier and clear up a misconception?

Cheers, Dave.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Or perhaps its just that you guys want to analyse every last tiny morsel of rumour, innuendo and hypothesis...
Hey, we work with what we've got.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Hey, we work with what we've got.
And what you don't too... I'd venture.

Makes for entertaining discussion though, if nothing else.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:46 PM

Just wait until Microsoft releases Windows Vacuum 7 Series, based on the Windows Phone 7 Series technology. Not only does it suck hard -- best in class -- it can call people and tell them how much it's sucking as well as post updates to your favorite social sites. The best is yet to come. Sorry, Dave can't comment about this technology, either.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
Just wait until Microsoft releases Windows Vacuum 7 Series, based on the Windows Phone 7 Series technology. Not only does it suck hard -- best in class -- it can call people and tell them how much it's sucking as well as post updates to your favorite social sites. The best is yet to come. Sorry, Dave can't comment about this technology, either.
I hate all the crass, snarky, negativit in these forums, but I found your comment funny nonetheless. lol

Old 02-18-2010, 08:17 PM

Interesting; that post wasn't supposed to be negative or crass in any way. Just trying to spread more vaporware rumors...

Old 02-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Now, would we go to Dyson and have them make a version based on their product but with a bigger power supply, wireless support and bigger repository? Call it the Vacuum 7 Series 30?

Or build it all in house, add rich media and call it the Vacuum 7 Series HD?

Nice post...

Cheers, Dave.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Now, would we go to Dyson and have them make a version based on their product but with a bigger power supply, wireless support and bigger repository? Call it the Vacuum 7 Series 30?

Or build it all in house, add rich media and call it the Vacuum 7 Series HD?

Nice post...

Cheers, Dave.
Dyson reminds me of apple...miele all the way...

Old 02-18-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Comical. Wasn't expecting that.