android
Old 02-16-2010, 02:43 AM

Default What's in store for Zune?

With all the news about Windows Phone 7 series, do you guys think that Microsoft will release new Zune Hardware anytime soon? We have a loooong time to wait before we see Windows Phone 7 Series in the flesh, and Apple will most likely be releasing new hardware, as will many other companies.
The Zune HD hasn't been out that long, and until the announcement of Windows Phone 7, there hasn't really been anything compelling people to jump onto the Zune bandwagon.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Zune wasn't going to get apps yet because Microsoft wanted them to be cross-platform with their Mobile Handsets, but now that we have to wait until the end of the year to see the phones, what's in store for Zune? Do we just get to wait with what we have for now?
Are they just going to quit working on Zune Hardware and focus on the UI and software? Will Windows Phone 7 Series bring an end to the Zune player?

With all that being said, what do you guys have to say? I thought this would make for an interesting discussion.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-16-2010, 02:59 AM

It's one of the next mysteries to unfold, right? lol

I know this is said alot, but we'll most likely have to wait until MIX in a few weeks. I think the cross screen/unified appstore and development stories are still yet untold.

I have a feeling that games.msn.com might be coming into the fold as well. Perhaps, via silverlight and made into xbox live capable too.

There are so many things between the WP7, Zune, Xbox, Natal, Development tools, Office... don't forget Windows Live Wave 4. ... sheesh, it's going to be a wild ride from here on out until the end of the year. (actually, just until E3, it's gonna be some serious crazy sauce wrt MS).

Old 02-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Microsoft's goal right now is to integrate all their products which is why the Xbox, Windows Phone and Zune team are merged now.

The best case scenario for the Zune is that it get the same apps as Windows Phone 7 do which is very possible.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 PM

Im kind of seeing the zune hd as the touch and the win7 phone as the iphone. That they co-exist.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylorbear134 View Post
Im kind of seeing the zune hd as the touch and the win7 phone as the iphone. That they co-exist.
I could see you saying that if they were the same except for the phone functionality. But the entire Zune is just one aspect of the Windows 7 phone. The Zune HD is completely inferior and nobody can really say otherwise, because Windows 7 phones have all of the Zune HD's functionality, plus far more.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylorbear134 View Post
I hope youre right! I bought my zune HD last monday and can't wait any longer to have it in my hands.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 AM

Apps! This is confirmed a ton of apps like Facebook will be released with windows 7 mobile sometime in march. Woot!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
Apps! This is confirmed a ton of apps like Facebook will be released with windows 7 mobile sometime in march. Woot!
Windows Phone 7 Series isn't releasing in March, and neither are a "ton" of apps.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
Source?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
Microsoft's goal right now is to integrate all their products which is why the Xbox, Windows Phone and Zune team are merged now.
WM team has not officially merged with the Xbox and Zune teams, though I think it is a logical step.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:26 AM

I personally think you are going to see the wp7 OS come to zune.... IE the panoramas for everything but the phone part (including apps, and xbox live)

Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRead View Post
Windows 7 phones have all of the Zune HD's functionality
That hasn't been confirmed. While I hope you're right we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:57 PM

what is in store for the Zune? More disillusionment I predict. with the slow trickle of anything from MS Zune HD related, I have tired of waiting and wishing for anything new for this device. Funny thing is that I am starting to use my more powerful Zune HD the same way I used my Zune 30.

I find it odd that a company that will rush a crappy OS (Vista), that is the flagship of it's business, to market but take it's time with a 6th tier (guessing) device in their product line. Then again , why should they worry about the Zune since it is so low on their list of priorities?

Last edited by captainzune2; 02-18-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: cause

Old 02-18-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
That hasn't been confirmed. While I hope you're right we shouldn't jump to conclusions.
Since I have no NDA to deal with, I can unofficially confirm the Windows Phone 7 Series will/should have full Zune HD media functionality. Of course, check back in the 6 months when it's fully baked. =)

Old 02-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
Since I have no NDA to deal with, I can unofficially confirm the Windows Phone 7 Series will/should have full Zune HD media functionality. Of course, check back in the 6 months when it's fully baked. =)
Will/should Windows Phone 7 Series have Zune dock ports and HD video out? What's your association with Microsoft?

Old 02-18-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Will/should Windows Phone 7 Series have Zune dock ports and HD video out? What's your association with Microsoft?
My comments are more platform based. I have no exposure to proposed vendor hardware designs, but I personally wouldn't expect a Zune specific connector on a phone... I'd only expect an industry standard MicroUSB connector or similar. I have no idea if some may offer video out.

I don't officially have any ties to Microsoft at this time, so I am free to blab anything I get from little birdies or under the table interaction. (I don't, however, repeat information that I'm told not to... ever.)

Old 02-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRead View Post
Windows Phone 7 Series isn't releasing in March, and neither are a "ton" of apps.
Actually, I think you should re-read what he said. He did NOT, in fact, say that the Windows Phone 7 is releasing in March, but that Windows 7 Mobile is. Now, whether there is truth to that statement, I don't know, but I'm sure i COULD find out if i wanted.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Chickens and eggs.

The Zune 30 was a chicken. A lonely chicken. They learned a little from it though, and soon a few eggs were hatched: The Zune 8, 16, 80, and 120s. None of them could get dates though, so that family line made for good Sunday dinners, but no more eggs.

The Zune HD is another chicken. She now has hatched her first egg: the Windows (Zune) Phone 7. The HD hopes the kid(s) will grow up to be more popular than herself, and support Mom as she ages. The Zune HD will live vicariously through her kids and the attention they bring home.

Time will tell. The chicken/smartphone market is complicated and agressive. The kids will have to be quick and talented to gain attention and stand out. It won't be enough to be just another chicken.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Actually, I think you should re-read what he said. He did NOT, in fact, say that the Windows Phone 7 is releasing in March, but that Windows 7 Mobile is. Now, whether there is truth to that statement, I don't know, but I'm sure i COULD find out if i wanted.
What's Windows 7 Mobile then? I could have sworn that was just the speculative name of what eventually would be called Windows Phone 7 Series.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:36 PM

I think folks might be confused about the new embedded OS branding using "7": Windows Embedded Standard 7, Windows Embedded Compact 7 (was CE), Windows Emdedded Automotive 7, etc.

I know Standard 7 is nearly baked, and at Release Candidate.