android
Old 02-15-2010, 07:01 PM

Default Anyone hear any good news so far for the Zune HD

Anyone hear anything good at MWC about the Zune.
Vegeta-You know, on second thought Nappa, catch it catch it with your teeth

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-15-2010, 07:18 PM

You mean the Zune HD?
The MWC is about phones I thought...lots about windows phone 7 with zune integrated but wouldn't expect anything much about zune hd itself.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:43 PM

Yes!

The good news is that we finally have the answer to the much-asked question as to why they didn't fix the font so that a main menu entry didn't bleed off the right side of the screen.

It wasn't an oversight... it was a tease. A quasi-"egg" of sorts. A Redmondesque inside joke.

So, the good news is that no longer will we see people asking why they never fixed that too-big-to-fit font on the Zune.

Enter sheer speculation mode: I suspect that for "Member of The Cabal" the Zune is doing double duty, with its second role being that of Reference Platform. I'd think that with the right firmware/OS build, it would make a nifty development/test platform for applications targeted at the "Non-Zune"-Phone.

BTW, tres droll, insisting that there will NOT be a "Zune Phone" -- and then coming out with THIS thing. I guess that in order to maintain parsitorily correct retro-truthfulness, it's NOT a "Zune Phone" -- rather, it's a "Phone Zune"!

I will be really surprised if the "Zune proper" has much of a market life after the next year or two. IMO the brand (name) is toxic (in the marketplace), and unless it can rehabilitate itself shortly, I expect that the "Zune Feature-set" IN the phone to be discretely rebadged as something other than "Zune."

Personally, based on my read of the florid "review" on Gizmodo, I don't like it. It's just not for me. Can't help but think of it as the "Fire Island Design Camp interface."

Make no mistake -- I do expect that over-the-top interface design to SELL product. It's just that I do NOT expect it to "grow on the user" -- some things look great to a prospective buyer -- glitz, glam, sizzle -- but, when used in real life, day after day, become cloying, overbearing, top-heavy, annoying.

There's a reason that programs that SUCCEED do NOT require the user to work solely via a GUI. Being able to navigate via a sequence of pulldown menu, expanding entry, and dialog box with more options, DOES make it "friendly" for the new user. But, like ANY kind of "training wheels" they become an impediment once the user gets past that initial period.

A program that requires a half dozen mouse moves, menu picks, option choices, blah blah blah -- rather than allowing the user to type a single ^S (to save a file) -- will NOT do well in the long run.

I think I will keep my twenty buck LG phone, which lets me flip it open, speak the word "home" into the mouthpiece, and have it dial my wife. (Or, should the need arise, to say "nine one one" in an emergency.)

The LAST thing I would ever want to happen would be to have a bona fide emergency scenario -- in bad lighting, stressful setting, and so forth -- and HAVE to futz around with a bunch of uber-cute slippy-slide graphical crap before it will LET me dial a number.

Ironically, I read NOTHING about how this "phone" performed AS a phone, after reading about an hour's worth of frothingly ecstatic reviews on a few sites (making me wonder if the reviewers were given "review hardware" gratis [as an aside, when I was writing software reviews, it was SOP for me to be fedexed shrinkwrap NFR retail boxes -- my shelves have thousands of dollars worth of developer software for which I paid nary a cent]).

I now expect the usual crowd of fanboi posers to jump down my throat with the usual accusations of heresy and blasphemy against The Glorious Vendor. And, I expect it to amuse me, as usual. Naturally, I can't know one way or another if that kind of crap is actual astroturf, or true full-blinkermode fanboi *gasm. I generally prefer to assume the former, because I tend to have more respect for an honest whore than for a common slut. But to each his own.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:49 PM

It Still needs to sound like a Zune to be a Zune which has a really good sound quality having more than one company making different phones will have too much of a variety in which DAP they use, Unless Microsoft has strict standards on SQ too.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_k View Post
Ironically, I read NOTHING about how this "phone" performed AS a phone, after reading about an hour's worth of frothingly ecstatic reviews on a few sites (making me wonder if the reviewers were given "review hardware" gratis [as an aside, when I was writing software reviews, it was SOP for me to be fedexed shrinkwrap NFR retail boxes -- my shelves have thousands of dollars worth of developer software for which I paid nary a cent]).
Just to nip any nattering speculation in the bud, while I did in fact receive tons of free products, this did NOT mean that I was bought and paid for (other than my per-article fee). Getting a $1,500-value package overnighted to me did NOT mean that I'd write a glowing review. Or even a POSITIVE review. In fact, there was a time or two I wrote a scathing review -- for which I received a kill-fee rather than publication.)

Old 02-15-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhapimp View Post
It Still needs to sound like a Zune to be a Zune which has a really good sound quality having more than one company making different phones will have too much of a variety in which DAP they use, Unless Microsoft has strict standards on SQ too.
Let's think this one through: MSFT is writing the code -- so, it stands to reason that the code will only function with those DAP/SOC pieces that they WANT it to function with.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:35 PM

Software doesn't make sound qaulity sound better

Old 02-15-2010, 08:52 PM

Argh.

Nevermind.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

We have to wait until MIX10 until Microsoft tells us more about Windows Phone and Zune. Apparently the big news there is that they will talk about apps development. I believe that the Zune HD will become to Windows Phone like what the iPod Touch is to the iPhone. We will also see more phone reveal at MIX10, most likely the Pink phones which are the Sidekicks replacements will debut too.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_k View Post
Make no mistake -- I do expect that over-the-top interface design to SELL product. It's just that I do NOT expect it to "grow on the user" -- some things look great to a prospective buyer -- glitz, glam, sizzle -- but, when used in real life, day after day, become cloying, overbearing, top-heavy, annoying.
That is certainly a fair point. Watching some of the roll out of the interface, I was wondering how much I would actually like to have it as an interface. There was a lot of showiness to it, but I did wonder whether some elements of it would actually be a boon as an end user. I want to see what the guinea pigs that like to ride the bleeding edge of the tech market say before I make any permanent judgments about this announcement.

Much of this is irrelevant to me, though...I've got a phone that covers the features I need and I'm not going to be switching any time soon. So, most of the attention that I've paid to this roll out has been: 1) interest in seeing the development of an expanding sector of the electronics market and more importantly 2) the its pertinence to the future of my ZuneHD player on the firmware/software side.

Furthermore, I'm not going to attempt to read the tea leaves about what this all means for the ZuneHD until Microsoft actually announces or releases an update for it. So for now, I'm just going to wait until that happens.

EDIT: Actually, to break from that last bit about tea leaves, I do suspect that if there is another generation of Zune devices that serve as a PMP only role, I suspect that they would have the same higher screen resolution that Microsoft is mandating as a requirement for Windows Phone 7. But then again, I wouldn't expect them to come out until the fall if at all.

Last edited by Meng Bomin; 02-15-2010 at 09:47 PM.