android
Old 02-16-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunge100 View Post
I am not sure that I follow you. What is so big brother like with Google. They have none of my information. I did open a Gmail account 3 months ago, and have yet to receive an email from google.

Links would help.. Thanks

Cheers..
Lots of info on this all over the web...it's not really suprising...
To summarize: Google is all about consolidation of information. Every email you receive or send is analyzed...the information in your email is then used to allow marketers to sell products to you (look at the advertisements above your emails)...same with google search- it tracks you to see what you are searching for and directs ads at you throughout your visits...google maps...google anything...

I'm not saying it's a bad business idea what they are doing...actually it's genius and it's why they are pulling ahead of MS in many ways....I'm just saying they have all the tools to be big brother and/or help big brother (although it looks like they are fighting with China, it's a game...they originally caved into what China was asking for....same with the US federal government on numerous occasions)...

Read some of their CEO's comments...

We are off topic...sorry.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-17-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Oh I'm here - enjoying the discussion.

This is true - I can't express an opinion on here because then everyone will jump on it as being an indication of our direction (even if my preference is to go in an entirely different direction, but I value my paycheck more than staying true to my passion - not that I'm saying that is the case at all!). And yes, I won't comment on unannounced products, features or offerings.

But... here is my overall guidance. As fun as it might be to bash MS, or to ridicule the company as slow, lumbering, behind the 8-ball, arrogant, etc... consider that we have a business plan, we're following it and we're making considered decisions based on that plan. Can you disagree with that plan? Of course! I bet some employees even do. But I find comments like "I can't believe MS hasn't thought of..." or "they're missing such a great opportunity..." amusing because they assume we haven't thought through our business plan with tremendous effort. Trust me, we have.

We're making bets that may or may not pay off. We're doing things you might or might not agree with. Aspects of Windows phone 7 series may or may not be for you. But these decisions are the result of considered thought and planning. You mightn't agree, but don't think the decisions are/were accidental.

I think we're doing a lot of right things with WP7 and I like how Zune is positioned. Beyond that, there really isn't much I can say.

Cheers, Dave.
Thanks Dave for stopping by. First of all, I just want to say that we,
I'll speak for myself, I am not bashing Microsoft just for the hell of it.
I wouldn't even say that I'm bashing it. There is so much I love about what the company is doing, WP7 looks awesome and I'm excited to see how the Zune is going to position itself in relation to that OS. It's just a few minor points that keeps me from loving it completely, and it's because the points are so minor that they bother me to such an extent. I don't know if posting on these forums does anything whatsoever, but if there is any small chance that my words might affect the situation in any way, then I'll post. If nothing else, it helps me organize my thoughts.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Aspects of Windows phone 7 series may or may not be for you. But these decisions are the result of considered thought and planning.
Speaking of "considered thought and planning", Dave, can you explain the rationale behind the mouthful that is "Windows Phone 7 Series"?

Old 02-17-2010, 08:47 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Speaking of "considered thought and planning", Dave, can you explain the rationale behind the mouthful that is "Windows Phone 7 Series"?
Bingo. It's just going to cause people to shorten it to Windows Mobile 7, and "Windows Mobile" is a bad word right now.

Just say "Windows Phone." Make the "7 Series" a subtitle in a smaller font. It shouldn't be any more apparent than Iphone (OS 3.1.2).

I think part of the branding is not just the OS version, but also the perceived synergy between that and Windows 7, the desktop OS. After the ire that Vista drew, Win7 is currently earning a lot of goodwill for MS, and MS is just trying to lure that goodwill into another market.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Seven is my lucky number. They should shorten it to just that. We'll have iPhone, Android phones and Sevens. Seven could become the new word for "phone".

Or to keep things seperate Win7 could be 7desk. Windows on a tablet could be 7slate. Windows on a phone could be 7go. I dread the day they feel like updating it to Eight.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:23 PM

Windows phone 7 whatever it is won't kill the Zune. Lack of support and enhancements from MS will (and most likely already has) kill the Zune. Lack of apps, lack of app development stream, lack of attention to detail, lack of customer support, lack of MS Love for the device will kill the ZuneHD, not the Windows Phone 7 series.

Just my .02 worth.

Jeff

Old 02-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Seven is my lucky number. They should shorten it to just that. We'll have iPhone, Android phones and Sevens. Seven could become the new word for "phone".
Ha!

Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post

Or to keep things seperate Win7 could be 7desk. Windows on a tablet could be 7slate. Windows on a phone could be 7go. I dread the day they feel like updating it to Eight.
7 series?
But Dave, most, if not all features from WP7 that aren't limited by inferior hardware HAVE to be ported to the HD in order to avoid criticisms about the similarities between the HD and the Touch.
How about that shiny new version of IEM that premiered?
Xbox Live Integration?
Who says the Zune can't break some rules? Rewrite the Zune HD's OS to become more like WP7!
I know how hard it would be, how many resources it would consume, but I think it would be wholly worth it.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:00 AM

Im so buying the win mo 7 phone. I just hope it comes out soon and that its available in canada, and that its under 500$.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMhz View Post
Im so buying the win mo 7 phone. I just hope it comes out soon and that its available in canada, and that its under 500$.
+1
Same with me...I'm still not sure it will be available in Canada immediately...

Old 02-19-2010, 02:11 PM

Yeah I must say... as much as I was planning on getting a new iPod Touch when they come out later this year, the new Windows Phone 7 Series is looking like what the Zune HD should have been, and it will come out shortly before my current phone contract is up. It looks really really nice.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Im so buying the win mo 7 phone. I just hope it comes out soon
Q4 2010 - probably will be Sept-Nov sometime.

Quote:
and that its available in canada, and that its under 500$.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
+1
Same with me...I'm still not sure it will be available in Canada immediately...
Yeah let's hope, unfortunately there hasn't been a confirmation for Canada.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
Also, there's this huge misconception going around these boards that the OS in the Zune HD and Windows Phone 7 are the same. This is absolutely absurd. While both are based on the Windows CE 5.2 kernel, the one used in the Zune HD is stripped to the point of being unrecognizable. It's like the Windows CE 2.0 kernel that was used for some Dreamcast games. That OS was stripped down to DirectX and some other necessary aspects, but there was no way to port some of PocketPC's favorite software to the Dreamcast without a great degree of difficulty due to the differences in the OS. The Zune HD's WinCE foundation is so "gimped" that it really cannot do much outside of media playback.
Wow... mega-discouraging.

Can you give me a link where I can read more about this? I must say it's sad that they're taking this new direction. I recently bought another GPS unit, in part because once I jailbreak it (by running one simple .exe program) I'll be able to use a variety of media readers and utilities that they included with the Win CE installation even though the GPS never used them. Then too, I recall the good old days, when they went and included the (command line) C compiler with Visual Basic without even thinking it worthy of mentioning! I think it was probably close to a year before someone noticed that it was there.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Supposedly, the new Windows Phone 7 will require Zune Software for all syncing, whereas the current WM 6.x uses Windows Mobile Device Center for Vista/7, and Active Sync for XP/Mac OS. But even though WM 6.5 requires WM Device Center, if I didn't want to sync Outlook, I could just plug it in as mass storage and do fine that way. It looks like Windows Phone 7 may not support this.
Prediction: Ten years from now (maybe even less), ALL software and ALL data will be handled that way. Want to run ANY program on ANY computer? Then it'd better be approved by the OS vendor, given the right secret handshake, or it simply won't be allowed to load/run.

Want to copy or save or read data? Then you'd better have a program -- an APPROVED program -- with that capability.

Think this is far-fetched? Then recall how it wasn't THAT long ago -- BEFORE the 911 event, in fact (about halfway through the Clinton adminitration) that they were THIS (-->||<--) close to passing a federal law PROHIBITING the use of ANY encryption that did NOT give the master key to the government. That's ALL encryption -- computers, phones, etc.

Now, think how trivial it would be to require this kind of "security" these days. Just declare that "the terrorists could use" ANY "non-secure" means of data processing, and it'll be trivial to "make us safe."

I don't expect it to happen, though, until the infrastructure is in place, the technology sufficiently developed and tested... but I don't expect that to be any problem, since the fine details are being hammered out today in "consumer electronics" devices.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:07 PM

I know you're a busy guy, so I'll make this multiple-choice, to help lighten your lode:

Quote:
I like how Zune is positioned.
When you say "Zune," do you mean:

1. "The Zune" -- a hardware device.

2. "Zune" as a gestalt, a concept that can be implemented on phones, desktops, or other spaces of your (MS's) choice.

3. "Zune" is just a word, divorced from meaning and concept (like "NT" for example), and if you were to say anything else by way of definition, clarification, or explanation, you would be violating your employer's trust, because that information is confidential, but, if we will be patient, we will see Exciting Things in "the future."

Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
Yeah let's hope, unfortunately there hasn't been a confirmation for Canada.
I'd bet any amount of money Microsoft's going international with this thing. Or at the very least, they aren't going to isolate this in America. This is Microsoft's all-in, their last ace in the hole in the mobile platform market. They're going to have to release in more than just America to regain lost market share.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:07 AM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_k View Post
When you say "Zune," do you mean:

1. "The Zune" -- a hardware device.

2. "Zune" as a gestalt, a concept that can be implemented on phones, desktops, or other spaces of your (MS's) choice.
I mean a hardware device, software and a service.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
I'd bet any amount of money Microsoft's going international with this thing. Or at the very least, they aren't going to isolate this in America. This is Microsoft's all-in, their last ace in the hole in the mobile platform market. They're going to have to release in more than just America to regain lost market share.
Well it's already confirmed with providers for Europe(Orange), I think Australia and other Asian regions...and of course USA...

Just Canada I don't see a thing. We have some crazy BS media companies who cause all sorts of problems for companies trying to make media accessable and open...you can't even buy a chumby in Canada because the parent company of CHUM radio has threatened the small company Chumby not to even try to release it in Canada due to the closeness in the name...I hate Canada in some ways...(in most respects it kicks a**)...

Old 02-20-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
you can't even buy a chumby in Canada because the parent company of CHUM radio has threatened the small company Chumby not to even try to release it in Canada due to the closeness in the name...
I wonder how they would react if the deep-sea fishermen were to sue them?

(I guess you could say one of the parties was "baiting" the other, n'est ce pas?)

Old 02-21-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Also, there's this huge misconception going around these boards that the OS in the Zune HD and Windows Phone 7 are the same. This is absolutely absurd. While both are based on the Windows CE 5.2 kernel, the one used in the Zune HD is stripped to the point of being unrecognizable. It's like the Windows CE 2.0 kernel that was used for some Dreamcast games. That OS was stripped down to DirectX and some other necessary aspects, but there was no way to port some of PocketPC's favorite software to the Dreamcast without a great degree of difficulty due to the differences in the OS. The Zune HD's WinCE foundation is so "gimped" that it really cannot do much outside of media playback.
-----
What Medion is only partially correct.
It is running CE but kernel version is 6.0 Release 3. Source your info plox Medion.
If what Medion is saying is true.. Windows Mobile 6.5 uses Windows CE 5.2. Im sorry Medion, but I have root access to the Kernel on a HTC Touch Diamond2 and on 6.5 it uses a .. WinCE6.0 based kernel.

Last edited by Flyordie; 02-21-2010 at 12:29 AM.