Since ABI clearly wouldn't be going to MWC in Barcelona, this thread will be using infomation sourced from across the internet (mainly gsmarena
and phone arena)
to keep people informed on the releases of this year in the cell/mobile phone market.
Feel free to put more details as comments, since I'll just drop key facts and links in for now.
And I'm changing this, so its a section for a company. Easier for me to update
-- phone arena
- the big deal has been the samsung bada OS, and specifically the samsung s8500 wave. The Wave has a 3.3-inch capacitive OLED screen with an 800 x 480 resolution, 1GHz processor, 2gb of storage, a 5 megapixel camera (with autofocus and flash, naturally), video at 720p. Wi-Fi, GPS and HSDPA. Bada is samsung's in house efforts at creating a 'smart OS' for the masses. But it looks to be just touchwiz with apps. more here.
- Samsung also showed the I8520. This phone runs android 2.1, carries an in built projector, and there's also an 8 mp camera and 3.7" capacitive OLED screen. pictures here
[list] Then we enter the realms of the mid range-ers. the c3200 monte bar explains itself, with a 2" screen and a 2mp camera. Alongside it is the E2550 Monte slider, which is even lower specced with a 1.3mp camera and a 120 x 160 resolution. The Samsung B3410W Ch@t is a refresh of the Samsung B3410,adding Wi-Fi to the 2.6-inch touchscreen and full QWERTY. The final, so far, is the Samsung E2370. It's part of samsung's tough family, with its claim to fame being a 2000 mah battery .
- The BIGGEST product for this whole show is the windows 7 series. So far its only a very pretty interface and something that bears a marked resemblance to the zune HD, but you can bet that more will pop up between now and the 18th.
Check out the DarkSide's thread for more discussions.
-- phone review
- Sony Erricson showed off some minor improvements. the Vivaz pro takes the SE viva and loses the 8mp sensor for a 5mp one, while gaining a qwerty keyboard.
The Xperia x10 mini and mini pro are both shrunk down versions of the huge device that is the Android running X10. They have dropped down to a 2.55" screen though, and the pro has gained a qwerty keyboard. some videos after the jump
- Acer have also shown a few new toys. There's the neoTouch P300 with a qwerty keyboard and winmo 6.5, plus a 3.2" touchscreen and a 528 MHz Qualcomm CPU. Its P400 brother drops the keyboard for a slimmer waistline.
The betouch e400 has andriod 2.1 and a 3.2 inch display, and a range of colour options.
Finally from acer, there is the betouch e110, an entry level android phone running 1.5 and carrying a 2.8 inch screen.linked here
Prepare for more updates along the week...