android
Old 02-13-2010, 07:19 AM

Default x1050 problem with Digital copy

Can anyone help? I bought the missus an X1050 for Xmas. I've had an A808 for years now and get on great with it, so I thought the X series would be leaps and bounds better.

Today she asked me to transfer the digital copy version of Disney Pixars UP onto it, so I dutifully added it onto my PC where it installed 2 .wmv files, one for the PC and one portable copy. I then synced the portable copy onto the X1050 using WMP 11 as recommended. When I tried the file, I got the following message "Cannot play. Please connect to compliant software and update license information"

Does anyone know what to do???

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Banned

Well it sounds like the movie is DRM protected and you can't copy it.

BBC iPlayer wmvs self -destruct after a certain time too and are unplayable unless it's possible to download the license.. Perhaps the only way you can get that movie on is to rip the DVD.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:44 AM

Thanks - I understand it will be copy protected, but this is an official Digital Copy feature that came with the DVD , so it ought to be copyable to the device or else what's the point? Both the PC and portable files work on the PC so I don't understand why the X1050 can't play it.
DVD rip is my next plan but on past experience with Disney DVDs they have a very annoying copy protection that mixes up all the scenes (I use ********* DVD Ripper).

Old 02-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Banned

Then it's maybe the resolution size or something - I'm not very good with video, but have a look around the forums, I'm sure there are threads with what people have been able to get to play ok on the X.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome to DRM-IS-BAD 101.

I don't even bother with those "digital copies" anymore. The movie studios came up with that strategy in hopes of keeping you from making your own backup of the DVD. For a player to be able to play the "player copy" it also has to support WMP licensing, which only a few player are capable of.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:17 AM

That sounds about right!! When are these people going to realise that portable players won't go away. The music industry has got over all this years ago and anyone can buy a CD and rip it with WMP without any issues.

I've just submitted this issue to the Sony support site as well - not that I expect a response but since Sony actually have their own film studios you'd think they'd be leading the way in sorting out this ridiculous issue.