android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 02-10-2010, 02:18 PM

Default Bug: Zune software won't clear disk space after deleting files from the Zune HD

The last few days I've been trying to find the best software/settings for encoding videos for the Zune HD. As a result, I've been repeatedly adding/removing videos from my ZHD.

After a video video file had finished encoding last night, I imported it into the Zune SW. When I tried to add it to the ZHD, I noticed that I only had about 1.5 gb of free space -- with 7.48 gb being taken from video files. Trouble was I only had about 4.5 gb of video on the player. I double checked all video files, then tried to remove and then re-add a couple of the videos. This just resulted in taking up even more space on the ZHD, to the point that the SW said the ZHD was full. I tried restarting the SW, then my computer, both attempts had no effect.

While my computer was rebooting, I checked the ZHD itself. It was reporting the correct storage space. After futilely trying to fix the problem without taking any major reset actions, I told the SW to "forget this player". This appeared to work (it reset showed the proper storage space), but when I added and then removed videos, same thing happened. The SW refused to clear the space after removing a video from the device.

I'm really at a loss. I'm afraid to take any major actions, like reinstalling the software because I just got the software to finally track my plays a couple of weeks ago after reading and following the directions on this thread on the Zune.net forums. I'm afraid that if I mess with it too much it will get glitched again, and I might not be able to fix it.

Anyone have any ideas?

PS - Not sure if this is has anything to do with it or not, but the video I was trying to add to the SW when it appeared to stop working properly was a different version of a movie I already had in the SW (a smaller file I encoded for device playback rather than AV dock playback).

Zune Software Screenshot

EDIT: The problem appears to extend to adding/removing any media from the device. I just added a podcast, then removed it. The SW cleared the space properly at first, but when I restarted the SW, it reset the free space back to as if the podcast was still on the device.

Last edited by EnragedGnome; 02-10-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: updated the problem

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-10-2010, 03:13 PM

Just tried uninstalling/reinstalling the software. I was happy to see that the SW remembered all my settings/music/everything. However, that might also be why it didn't fix the problem...

Old 02-10-2010, 04:22 PM

I will use this thread as well to mention that suddenly my software started showing the same album and songs from one album as two albums with exactly the same information on both.

For example:

The Faceless: Album: Akeldama (total songs of album = 8), so I have two images of the same album organized like:

Akeldama 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 (numbers represent songs)
Akeldama 7

Don't know what the problem is. This should be checked out as well. I can upload a picture if it is needed.

Also when trying to edit info it says it can't be done at that time and that i should wait a moment to try again.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
I will use this thread as well to mention that suddenly my software started showing the same album and songs from one album as two albums with exactly the same information on both.

For example:

The Faceless: Album: Akeldama (total songs of album = 8), so I have two images of the same album organized like:

Akeldama 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 (numbers represent songs)
Akeldama 7

Don't know what the problem is. This should be checked out as well. I can upload a picture if it is needed.

Also when trying to edit info it says it can't be done at that time and that i should wait a moment to try again.
I occasionally have the exact same problem, but on the device, never the player.

Last edited by bla8291; 02-11-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:19 AM

EnragedGnome, I have the EXACT same problem. It's absolutely bizarre.
I deleted all my videos off my Zune, and it still reported that I had 4GB of videos on there (even though the video section was totally clear).
I then proceeded to add new videos, which added to the total amount taken up by videos. ie, it added 2GB to the apparent 4GB which was "already on there". Except they weren't on there...... because that 4GB should have been deleted.

However when I check the Zune storage details on the actual device, it reports the exact amount of Video files have (lets say, 3 files), as well as giving a correct Free Space estimate.

The only sure-fire way I've found to fix it is to format the player. At the moment it's not a huge concern for me because my player is not too full, but still this is a really silly problem to have.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the various sync options. I'm quite sure that when I had everything set to "Manual Sync" i never had this issue. But now I have the option where when you delete/remove something from the Zune software it automatically deletes it from the Zune. Perhaps it's this function that is only half-way doing its job. Performing the delete on the player, but not updating the Software-side database about how much is on there.

I really hope MS come out with a fix for this. It's annoying not knowing exactly how much space is really taken up by my videos.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:00 PM

For "big" content (like video), I avoid this bug by deleting video content directly on the Zune HD before connecting/syncing. This is quite annoying, and is not a new bug...

Old 02-11-2010, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the replies. This has been really bugging me the last couple of days. I guess I'll just have to remember to delete everything via the device interface rather than the software.

To Nannou, I had my sync settings set to "manual" originally (except for music which was set to "all"). While trying to fix it, I think they're different now.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:07 PM

I'd also like to note that sometimes, the Zune software won't let me delete media from the software itself or won't let me edit metadata at random times.