android
Old 02-09-2010, 08:40 PM
General Audio Moderator

Default Bioshock 2

The special edition ps3 version arrived for me this evening , played about 3 hours thus far and am very sucked into to the story already . Already even hung the neat posters that came in the box, will rip the cd tomorrow so i can put it into my dap collection .

The only complaint i have is that the cd was packaged in a cardboard sleeve rather than in game box or its own jewel case ... but other wise the art book , posters, and lp are neat as hell.

Anyhow i am not going to give anything away but the game is even more story driven that the original which is a big plus as i am not an fps fan for the most part. The graphics are slightly updated but not by much, the engine seems to use real time shadows now. Lighting seems a little better as well , art direction is still top notch as is the amazing ost. Anyone else start to play it yet , if so what are your thoughts, no spoilers !

back to playing

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-09-2010, 09:25 PM

That looks awesome! I am not a big fan of special editions though, preferring to buy all of my games on Steam. Incidentally the Steam edition unlocked yesterday and I am waiting for the download to finish, should be ready in 6 hours...

Old 02-16-2010, 06:12 PM

I don't go for collector's editions either with games. Although the posters you get for this look awesome, I recently finished a play through of the first game. Will get this on PC soon.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My son ordered this as well, so congrats on getting it yuki. How is the game play (I stick to Tekken me'self)?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 PM

Now that is freakin cool, I only played the demo for the first game on pc and it was really good so I don't know that much about Bioshock.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Got the Special edition aswell, although my box was slightly different o_O Did you get a PC or console version?

Loving the game aswell, although the FOV is still HORRIBLE! I cant belvie they messed that up again for PC users. Only happens if you have a Widescreen monitor, but heck who doesn't these days? Theres a patch coming, and you can fix it by yourself I guess but I ccouldn't figure it out on my own... So Sort of waiting patiently for that fix to come before I delve too deep.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:56 PM

He got the PS3 version.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:12 PM

I plan to play thru the original again when i get my PC back after my move in a couple days, then i shall be purchasing the second and i can't wait to play it!
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 AM
General Audio Moderator

As the game goes i just finished my 2nd play through and am on my third , the game play mechanics are pretty good .... I normally hate shooters but for some reason this is one i can stand. The story is also very well excuted / written as is the atmosphere.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:01 AM

It's still sitting installed on my pc and im like an hour in, i just cant stop playing fallout 3 at the moment lol.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:35 PM

does it still give you headaches? the original did and that's why i couldnt play it.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:43 PM

How did it give you headaches?

Old 03-14-2010, 05:59 PM

I really don't know why. if you google for bioshock headaches you do get a ton of results. I think it might have to do with the fact it gets too realistic and you are fooled by not having the air blowing around your ears. and your body freaks out.

however fallout 3 did this and I turned the texture quality down some and it seemed allright.

I played with bioshock maxed out. same with fallout 3. however fallout 3 did not make me as sick as bioshock did at max settings.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:11 PM

Fallout 3 has the side effect of making me jizz in my pants.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:21 PM

If you have ever played S.T.A.L.K.E.R., when you walk the screen shakes realistically and that kinda makes me sick after awhile.

I need to get Fallout 3.

@Adub: you must REALLY like that game.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:47 PM

Bethesda Softworks kindly thanks Adub for his comment! This is what they think of him:

Old 03-15-2010, 01:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixedcat View Post
I really don't know why. if you google for bioshock headaches you do get a ton of results. I think it might have to do with the fact it gets too realistic and you are fooled by not having the air blowing around your ears. and your body freaks out.

however fallout 3 did this and I turned the texture quality down some and it seemed allright.

I played with bioshock maxed out. same with fallout 3. however fallout 3 did not make me as sick as bioshock did at max settings.
This is most likely due to the FoV (Field of View) problems in the original BioShock and other well known FPS games (Half-Life 2 had this problem as well). It was made worse by the fact that if you had a wide screen monitor, your field of view was actually made even worse, which is completely contrary to what wide screens are supposed to allow for. When you play a game with a narrow FoV you get the feeling that your kinda drunk or something, because you notice the subtle swings and sweeps of the game a whole lot more, it sort of feels like your playing the game with binoculars. Fallout 3 was better then Bioshock, but you still probably used the 3rd person view alot in the game right? Just so you didn't need to constantly swing around looking for things?

Bioshock 2 (On the PC) actually had exactly the same Widescreen problems as the first one, which is an incredible oversight on their part :P However there are a few easy to use FoV hacks that improve the game greatly on the PC over the console versions, lemme see if I can get a screen grab to compare:

FoV (Original, cant remember what it was)

FoV 100

This screen is taken from the same spot, as you can see you see a whole lot more detail in the world which makes me wonder why they went with such a small FoV? Maybe to induce claustrophobia for some artistic element (Thats like a Rapture sick thing to do to gamers! :P ) These screens are also fro mthe same game, no loading or reseting the game needed, because you can bind the FoV change commands to keys in the game. You might note that the FoV of the weapons and the hands dont change, but thats because they use a separate weapon FoV, which can also be edited, I think.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixedcat View Post
Bethesda Softworks kindly thanks Adub for his comment! This is what they think of him:

Games don't make me dizzy i guess i am special

Old 03-15-2010, 12:27 PM

Bethesda Softworks loves you.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:30 PM

Oh and the FOV thing I got a fix for bioshock and it still made me sick. Might have to do with the atmosphere or somethin.

but the fallout 3 FOV is fine actually.

I can play fallout 3 fine on medium settings.