android
Old 02-07-2010, 04:27 PM

Default Clip+, browsing long lists (speed/ease)?

Hello,

Wondering how fast the Clip+ is when browsing:

1) Long lists of files
2) Lots of folders/subfolders
3) Lots of files (8GB+)

I am talking about screen refresh, as well as speed of finding what you want (convenience shortcuts etc)

Both for tagged browsing as well as folder browsing.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-07-2010, 06:24 PM

To answer 1 & 3:

I just checked out how fast it would take to scroll down a list of 149 files, and it was about 5 seconds. However, if you scroll all the way down and keep holding the down button, the list will go back to the top and scroll all they way down to the bottom again in about 3 seconds. (I don't know why it does this).

To answer 3: The speed depends on deepness of the folder tree, but the speed of just traveling down a long list of file is the same speed as traveling down a long list of files.

Overall, I don't notice any speed difference or lag whether browsing for a file/playlist/etc or trying to look for a system setting to change.

The better you organize the music for the device, the easier it will be to find what you want. If you have one folder with hundreds of music files in alphabetical order and you want to find one music file, then yes it will take some time.

The device has a home button that you can push that will redirect the screen to the root of the menus, which is pretty good if you want to changed the device settings, record something, listen to radio, etc.

Oh yeah, the screen can only display three lines of options/file names at a time so basically if you have a list/option of:

1. kfjdlfjld
2. dfjdljfdlsajl
3. fkljdlkajfdlkfja
4. kfjdlfjld
5. dfjdljfdlsajl
6. fkljdlkajfdlkfja
7. kfjdlfjld
8. dfjdljfdlsajl
9. fkljdlkajfdlkfja
10. kfjdlfjld
11. dfjdljfdlsajl
12. fkljdlkajfdlkfja

The default view when you first enter the screen is lines/# 1, 2, 3. When you press the down button once, the screen will display lines/# 2,3,4 and so forth. Just holding the button down will cause the display to scroll down the list....

The device remembers what section of a list/option you previously selected, so if you decide to go back you won't have to scroll down from the top again.

There is a lot more to be said, and hopefully the other will chime in.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:16 PM

There is virtually no lag in stepping thru' a file or album list. If you scroll, you are more likely to be limited by having to stop to read the display. There's no way around navigating a huge file list on a device this size. I don't have the clip+ so I compromise between number of albums and number of files in each album. I generally play everything in an album, so it's finding the album that takes the time.
I can't think of any design that could make life easier, you would have to input some sort of search key which wouldn't be practicable on the clip design.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:54 PM

get a larger mp3 player if you want to store 8+gb of music at a time and scroll through them all real fast!
(didnt mean to come off as rude btw)

Old 02-16-2010, 05:32 PM

I have 24GB of music on mine, and the scrolling is smooth and fast. It takes about 10 seconds to scroll through the entire list of artists, because the scroll speed accelerates as you hold the button down.

I do wish there was alphabetical scrolling, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultluser View Post
I have 24GB of music on mine, and the scrolling is smooth and fast. It takes about 10 seconds to scroll through the entire list of artists, because the scroll speed accelerates as you hold the button down.

I do wish there was alphabetical scrolling, but it's not a deal-breaker.
I agree with both points and have the same amount of music.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:49 AM

I have 12gb on my clip+ and there is zero lag when scrolling in every form i have tried thus far.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677