android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 PM

Default Wil the Zune HD ever play videos on it's internet browser?

I don't have my Zune HD yet, but I was wondering if the Zune HD will ever be able to play Videos on it's browser? If so... when? :3

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-06-2010, 07:35 PM

Nobody can answer that question honestly... sorry

Old 02-06-2010, 09:01 PM

A lot of mobile devices have been getting flash in the recent. Tegra platform also supports hardware flash acceleration. What I'm saying is, it IS a possibility. But with the current attitude towards the Zune HD - 'Music device first, nothing else really matters' - I doubt it will ever support flash or HTML5.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiamhighx View Post
A lot of mobile devices have been getting flash in the recent. Tegra platform also supports hardware flash acceleration. What I'm saying is, it IS a possibility. But with the current attitude towards the Zune HD - 'Music device first, nothing else really matters' - I doubt it will ever support flash or HTML5.
Even though the Tegra platform does indeed support full Flash and HTML5, the HD doesn't have enough RAM to run Flash. It depends on Microsoft to include HTML5 in the browser.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:07 PM

Well the new flash 10 is said to be capable to run on a lot more devices. I don't know, it's stupid that the chip supports flash but doesn't support it at the same time.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Wasn't it disclosed that the Zune and WinMo devices would be getting a FLASH update in the future? I might be mistaken though, as I can't locate the info ATM.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:01 AM

If you haven't yet check this story out about Zune V2. Don't how real it is

http://www.zuneboards.com/?p=vB48921

Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 AM

Adobe has a version of FLASH 10.1M built for Windows CE 6.0 and 5.0. Its minimum requirement is 64MB of RAM on the device. I think the ZuneHD has 128MB? Its called priority. The Zune Team imho wants to implement Silverlight first, FLASH second. Adobe got it working good on Cellphones with less hardware than the ZuneHD has, and it was shown to be working on a stripped down version of CE 6.0 at the Nvidia Tech Show back in 09.

The version of Windows CE on the ZuneHD is in fact 6.0, it supports everything the base version does.

Since MS doesn't want outside independent dev's to hop on board, its very hard to get any primary progress w/o some kind of pitch fork and torch movement happening.

Now, this is coming from someone who loves Zune and its current capabilities, its plenty for what I do.

However, I just feel that Tegra and Zune are capable of so much more. Its why I am trying to unlock it so I can have root access to the OS itself and can install my own updates ect. I did manage to get FLASH 10.1M installed and functional to an extent, but everytime you quit the web browser the unit restarts because its running the plugin as an "app"...

So, truth be told, Zune Team is busy, and with the resources MS has given them, they are doing their best. Its all about the bottom line people.

Question for Dave- Does the Zune Dept even make a profit at the end of the year? Like in 2009, did it make a profit?

Old 02-08-2010, 03:41 PM

^Now that is something Flyoride. Can be interesting to see if you get somewhere! Keep up the good work

Old 02-08-2010, 05:09 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't want flash on the ZHD? I can't imagine how bad it'd be to try to watch a flash movie IN the browser. And the only use I'd have for it would be to watch YouTube videos, and I'd prefer an app instead. No flash needed for the latter.

If it is added, I hope there's an option to disable it. For people like me, the press release announcing it might as well read, "Zune HD browser can now display Flash ads! Browse the web slower and more annoyed with more bugs, crashes, and vulnerabilities than ever!" >.<

Old 02-08-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
Adobe has a version of FLASH 10.1M built for Windows CE 6.0 and 5.0. Its minimum requirement is 64MB of RAM on the device. I think the ZuneHD has 128MB? Its called priority. The Zune Team imho wants to implement Silverlight first, FLASH second. Adobe got it working good on Cellphones with less hardware than the ZuneHD has, and it was shown to be working on a stripped down version of CE 6.0 at the Nvidia Tech Show back in 09.

The version of Windows CE on the ZuneHD is in fact 6.0, it supports everything the base version does.

Since MS doesn't want outside independent dev's to hop on board, its very hard to get any primary progress w/o some kind of pitch fork and torch movement happening.

Now, this is coming from someone who loves Zune and its current capabilities, its plenty for what I do.

However, I just feel that Tegra and Zune are capable of so much more. Its why I am trying to unlock it so I can have root access to the OS itself and can install my own updates ect. I did manage to get FLASH 10.1M installed and functional to an extent, but everytime you quit the web browser the unit restarts because its running the plugin as an "app"...

So, truth be told, Zune Team is busy, and with the resources MS has given them, they are doing their best. Its all about the bottom line people.

Question for Dave- Does the Zune Dept even make a profit at the end of the year? Like in 2009, did it make a profit?
It depends on what else the RAM will be used for. I'm pretty sure the internet browser itself takes up a ton of RAM as well. Don't forget that if you want video too, the video will also take up a bunch of RAM. It doesn't add up.
Additionally, there are the performance issues to be taken into consideration as well. Is it even worth having Flash if ads and crap are going to slow the HD down? I think the better solution would be to let users pick and choose which Flash elements they want to display.
I still think HTML5 is the much better option.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 PM

Wow, I'll be kind of angry if Microsoft makes a v2 already. I've had mine a week now, and was annoyed that I could have saved $20+ if I had waited a few days... But if they just make a whole new one, uhhh....

Old 02-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuneHD? View Post
Wow, I'll be kind of angry if Microsoft makes a v2 already. I've had mine a week now, and was annoyed that I could have saved $20+ if I had waited a few days... But if they just make a whole new one, uhhh....
Don't worry. According to the rumor (emphasis on rumor), the Zune HD 2 won't be available until the final quarter of 2010. Yearly refreshes are the norm for devices like these...

Old 02-09-2010, 06:12 PM

I really hope they do make an updated player. I love my HD, but find myself taking my 80 with me a lot because it can hold so much more. Sometimes I get in a mood for a song and like to have a wide range of choices at any given time. I am not always near a WiFi spot or the streaming option would come in handy. Make a 64GB Zune phone with the ability to stream from the marketplace over 3G. That would be the best option for me.