android
Old 02-06-2010, 07:36 AM

Default I'm going to buy a Zune HD

I'm going to buy a 32gb for 240.00 off amazon.com. The only thing from stopping me from getting one in the first place was the lack of vid codecs. But since xvid/avi support is coming soon via firmware upgrade I'm going to finally buy one.

Are there any things I should know, or beware of before I buy one?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Zune Moderator

Just keep in mind things like you must use the zune software.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
Just keep in mind things like you must use the zune software.

so no drag and drop? wow, okay.

as long as there are no conversion of any kind then I'm okay with it. But hey shouldn't zune hd work wit windows media player? there both made by the same company?

Old 02-06-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeneptunes View Post

as long as there are no conversion of any kind then I'm okay with it. But hey shouldn't zune hd work wit windows media player? there both made by the same company?
It doesn't but thankfully the zune software is pretty awesome...I've used everything from wmp, itunes, creative, etc...and there is no comparison...the zune software is really cool

Old 02-06-2010, 10:19 AM

I can vouch for the Zune software too. Up until now I've been an avid Winamp user, and a meticulous stickler for detail when it comes to ID3 tags etc.
The Zune software was a bit of a paradigm shift for me, but it's added a lot of additional information, not to mention album covers.
And I'm finally coming to grips with things like sync groups etc. Very handy and time saving features.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Princeneptunes: Download the Zune software to see if you like it. If you do, go get that Zune HD!!!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Zune Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Princeneptunes: Download the Zune software to see if you like it. If you do, go get that Zune HD!!!
I was just about to say the same thing.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey, it's getting the video codecs I wanted,....win-win bro!!!

Old 02-06-2010, 03:18 PM

To be honest, if I were you, buying the ZHD for something coming in the future, I'd wait until it actually came out. For example, someone who bought the HD in September expecting to have a Facebook app in November would be very disappointed.
Who knows, something better could come out in the meanwhile.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I'm going to buy a 32gb for 240.00 off amazon.com. The only thing from stopping me from getting one in the first place was the lack of vid codecs. But since xvid/avi support is coming soon via firmware upgrade I'm going to finally buy one.

Are there any things I should know, or beware of before I buy one?
As long as you have the correct time frame in your head. It'll be a few months still before xvid/avi arrives. The estimate was Spring.

Quote:

No drag and drop, unfortunately, so you must use Windows and the Zune software. The Zune software is surprisingly decent though.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiamhighx View Post
To be honest, if I were you, buying the ZHD for something coming in the future, I'd wait until it actually came out. For example, someone who bought the HD in September expecting to have a Facebook app in November would be very disappointed.
Who knows, something better could come out in the meanwhile.

the thing is i can't wait for any longer. I have been without an mp3 player for over a year now due to my cowon d2 dying on me. I'm a music fanatic so i have to buy a mp3 player really soon.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:46 PM

I just got a Zune HD and was really excited, but now I'm very disappointed.

After a run through, the Zune is far more proprietary than the iPod. MS requires that you use the Zune software to transfer files, and it just doesn't install on my notebook! And they're bitches enough to have a proprietary handshake, so even DVD Jon's Doubletwist can't access it. I think I'm done with Zune.

Really disappointed with the Zune because the interface is cool, the chassis is cool, but I can't even get music onto it. Right now I'm thinking of getting some sort of Sony A/S/X series or the Cowon S9. Sandisk has some worthwhile stuff... and all of that has MTP/MSC mode where you can transfer music and videos just like you would a USB stick.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I agree with this. See if it even installs on your computer... and if Microsoft drops development of the Zune software and it no longer works for whatever reason, you're screwed.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
the thing is i can't wait for any longer. I have been without an mp3 player for over a year now due to my cowon d2 dying on me. I'm a music fanatic so i have to buy a mp3 player really soon.
You could buy a cheap Sansa player and Rockbox it until you find something you really like.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klezmer41 View Post
I just got a Zune HD and was really excited, but now I'm very disappointed.

After a run through, the Zune is far more proprietary than the iPod. MS requires that you use the Zune software to transfer files, and it just doesn't install on my notebook! And they're bitches enough to have a proprietary handshake, so even DVD Jon's Doubletwist can't access it. I think I'm done with Zune.

Really disappointed with the Zune because the interface is cool, the chassis is cool, but I can't even get music onto it. Right now I'm thinking of getting some sort of Sony A/S/X series or the Cowon S9. Sandisk has some worthwhile stuff... and all of that has MTP/MSC mode where you can transfer music and videos just like you would a USB stick.
It's not "more" proprietary than the iPod. iPod requires iTunes, Zune HD requires Zune PC software. Does that suck? Depends on who you are. Is it a secret? No. Should you have spent five minutes researching this device before buying it? Yes. There's no excuse to be as baffled as you are over the device not having a MTP/MSC mode and not being able to sync with other software.

If you're just frustrated with your troubles installing the Zune software, make a thread about it here or on the Zune forums and get help.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontkillants View Post
It's not "more" proprietary than the iPod. iPod requires iTunes, Zune HD requires Zune PC software. Does that suck? Depends on who you are. Is it a secret? No. Should you have spent five minutes researching this device before buying it? Yes. There's no excuse to be as baffled as you are over the device not having a MTP/MSC mode and not being able to sync with other software.

If you're just frustrated with your troubles installing the Zune software, make a thread about it here or on the Zune forums and get help.
+1 for the excellent post.
I had some trouble updating the Zune software on the Windows 7 RC, but an excellent tip is to run the program in whatever compatibility mode your computer defaults to if you're running Vista or 7.
Additionally, klezmer, there really was no need to attack Microsoft like that simply because you were disappointed by the Zune HD for whatever reason.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:45 PM

The Zune was a gift, so I'm trying to make the most of it unless it gives me too much grief and I have to unload it.

I think it's perfectly fair to call out Microsoft on this crap!

Old 02-06-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
It's not "more" proprietary than the iPod. iPod requires iTunes, Zune HD requires Zune PC software.
Well... you can get around iTunes with Doubletwist or various other software. To my knowledge you can't get around the Zune Software.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Well... you can get around iTunes with Doubletwist or various other software. To my knowledge you can't get around the Zune Software.
But it isn't supported or condoned by Apple, so it doesn't really count. Are you saying the majority of users will know how to do that? If so, then sure, that conclusion is valid. If not, then no, it isn't valid at all.
I don't think it's extremely fair to 'call them out' on that since you obviously haven't researched very far into the problem.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
You could buy a cheap Sansa player and Rockbox it until you find something you really like.
Sansa.................hmmm.......

Quote:
I agree with this. See if it even installs on your computer... and if Microsoft drops development of the Zune software and it no longer works for whatever reason, you're screwed.
Yeah i signed up for the zune network and downloaded the software. It messed up my organization of my music library a lil bit. I had my music organized by "Date Modified" and grouped by "year". So that I can know which is my new music and which is not. The zune software upgraded the files by adding album artwork to it so I'm not completly mad. Overall the software works and looks neat. Didn't have any problems with it at all.

Plays mostly all of my files except for the ".wma" files.