android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 02-04-2010, 07:55 PM

Default What size/brand microSD card do you use with your clip+?

I recently got my clip+ and I'm really happy with it (as I was with my original 8gb clip). I am now going about upgrading with a microSD card and was wondering what cards you all have had success with, or maybe which cards I should avoid.

Another point of matter is the storage size. While browsing Newegg and Amazon, I've noticed 8GB cards can be obtained for much less than the 16GB cards. As such I'm inclined to buy two of the smaller ones. Anyone of you with more experience in this matter have any advice? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

From what I have read about refresh times, maybe two 8GB ones could be a good idea. I used to use a SanDisk 8GB class 2 card in my Fuze last year, and it worked great. But the Clip+ is a new player,and I haven't had the chance to try one yet.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:43 PM

I use an 8gb SanDisk Class 2 card in my Clip+. However, to maximize battery life, I try to play music form main memory b/c the battery life seems to last several hours less when continuously playing from the microSd card on a full charge. I have only tested this once, so I cannot be 100% sure though.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:42 PM

Ah, the battery life. This has been a concern of mine, given that my plus does not seem to have as much life on a charge as my older model clip. It seems that powering off after listening to the FM radio drains the power quicker than when left on the music side. Weird.

I figured that using the card would be a battery drain, but I think its an even trade-off given the memory capacity in such a small form factor.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I originally tried researching microSD cards and speed, and found lots of inconclusive info. What I did walk away finding and feeling was that SanDisk cards seem to be of good quality and have speeds that often/typically exceed the stated, moreso than cards from many other manufacturers.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:27 AM

I've had the least amount of problems with SanDisk cards from my 4GB Fuze to my 4GB Clip+ to my 8GB Clip+. I use a 16GB SanDisk card and it's loaded with music, leaving about four gigs of free space. I get refresh times of about five or six minutes, which isn't bad, but of course, could be faster.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:07 PM

I have a 16GB SanDisk MicroSd Card and have not had any problems.

Take awhile to load/refresh after I add some some songs, but not a deal breaker.

Make sure to get a card reader to load the card...Makes things faster.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lots of inexpensive and tiny card readers at DealExtreme.com.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:00 AM
ABI Invaluable

I use multiple 8gb cards by pqi and sandisk, they are all class 4 and full give or take 200mb and take approx 2min 30secs to load.

I cant wait for a 32gb cards.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 02-06-2010, 11:27 AM

I use a sandisk 16gb class 2, a generic play.com 16gb class 2, 2x 8gb sandisk class 2 and a 8gb sandisk class 4 with no problems.

I would recommend one larger card, just to avoid the database refresh every time you change the card. Battery life doesn't seem particularly different with an sd card. Most of the stuff I've been listening to is on the card (I prefer not to have to plug the clip into the computer unless I reaaaally have to). Considering that the card and internal memory are pretty similar it's unlikely to cause any huge difference. Unless of course you only have mp3 on the internal and flac and ogg on the external. Then you would obviously see more battery drain on the card compared to the internal.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just got my SanDisk 16GB class 2 today. Filled the card, and then the internal memory, leaving some space available for podcasts, and when I disconnected, I had 3,642 songs, 4 podcasts, and the refresh was approximately 5 minutes and 15 seconds...which was better than I thought it would be.

What's interesting though, is the card doesn't seem to sit as flush as it did with the Fuze I had last year......anybody have both Fuze and Clip+, that could verify that?

Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 PM

I can verify this, it sticks out slightly from the clip+, maybe 1 or 2 mm.

I have an 8 GB SanDisk Class 2 card and the refresh takes about 2-3 minutes, depending on file size/codec. I don't find the refresh time particularly annoying, I could even live with a longer one.

I chose the Sandisk card since Sansa is owned by Sandisk, it just made sense to me that the two would be optimized for each other....

I used to have a no-name 2 GB card that I used with my Fuze. Its performance was abysmal and it died after 2 months.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
I can verify this, it sticks out slightly from the clip+, maybe 1 or 2 mm.
I might think about getting a case for it then, something I never even thought about with my old Clip. Just a little nudge on what sticks out might trigger a refresh, which would suck if you were in the middle of listening.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:25 AM

I have an 8 gig Sandisk and a 16 gig Sandisk. Refresh times are pretty much through the roof, but it's not like it happens every day so I can deal.

Besides, 12/24 gigs on an MP3 player is far more than adequate for what I need. YMMV.

I also cannot wait for 32 gig cards though, I imagine I'd never have to delete any music then!
SoundMagic PL50|SoundMagic PL30|Bang&Olufsen Form 2

Old 04-13-2010, 03:23 AM

My card sticks out very slightly from the player, but nowhere near 1-2mm. I'd say less than half a mm. If it were any more flush with the edge, though, I wouldn't be able to push it inwards to remove it.

Unless you're not supposed to remove it like that.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I might think about getting a case for it then, something I never even thought about with my old Clip. Just a little nudge on what sticks out might trigger a refresh, which would suck if you were in the middle of listening.
Well, Marvin, I can confirm 2 things:

1. A case nicely goes further out than the slight extra that the microSD card does, providing protection from any jostling (although, having said that, my microSD card only stuck out a tiny bit).

2. The spring for the card is pretty extreme--in checking things out just now and taking the card out of the Clip+, my card zinged out of the Clip+, hit a wall 4-5 feet away, bounced against the wall and flew off somewhere that I can't determine; I am now microSD card-less.

Very saddening, although funny in a sad kinda way--I feel like I was just in a very animated cartoon ...

Old 04-13-2010, 03:45 AM

2. The spring for the card is pretty extreme--in checking things out just now and taking the card out of the Clip+, my card zinged out of the Clip+, hit a wall 4-5 feet away, bounced against the wall and flew off somewhere that I can't determine; I am now microSD card-less.

My sympathies. Like looking for a contact lens, I guess.

These machines clearly differ - my card is a devil to remove. No way would it ever spring out easily - it takes two or three tries, and quite a lot of force to get it to come out at all.

I hope you find yours ...

Old 04-13-2010, 03:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Almost always Sandisk or Kingston...I have been unlucky with Polaroid sadly...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, on my Clip+ the card sticks out a tiny bit.

I have a Kingston 8 GB class 4 micro SDHC, a Kingston 4 GB class 4 micro SDHC, and a Sandisk 4 GB class 4 micro SDHC card. I resisted buying a 16 GB card since I really don't need that much storage now, and was waiting for the 16 GB class 4 or class 6 cards to drop in price. When they get to under $30 I may buy one. I have had no problems with the Kingston cards. One thing though. The 8 GB Kingston class 4 card came without a case but with adapters. I have enough adapters, but would have like a case with it(what does a typical plastic SDHC card case cost to make? Is it around 5 cents?).

Old 04-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

With certain brands like Polaroid, Memorex, PNY, etc. the consumer doesn't know who actually manufactured the product, and it is possible that perhaps different manufacturers made different batches of them. I try to avoid rebranded products as you don't know what you are getting. Some batches might be great quality, and other batches poor quality.