android
Old 01-31-2010, 11:47 PM

Default Sony X-1060 with Shure 530ee

Its very important to know how the Shure 530ee iem's sound on the Sony X-1060 with/without EQ)
I will be using CDs as my source and recording in AIFF or ACC I hope I have the formats name correct.
The music selection is Classic Rock/80s music.
My main concern is SOUND Quality.
I have picked these phones because they are very efficient therefore low volume =loud sound.

These are the Iems I want feedback on from people that actually own the shure/Sony X-1060

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Banned

I don't think you'd be disappointed.

For a long while I couldn't decide between the SE530, the ie8s or the EX700s. Eventually I went with the ie8s. Combined with the X they sound stellar. I'd imagine the Shures to sound as good, but I haven't heard them.

I have heard of people using SE530s with their P3s and they sound excellent, requiring little in the way of EQ adjustment.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The SE530 hiss quite a bit with pretty much every portable player I've used them with. They're too low impedance and have insanely high sensitivity. If that's no concern to you, then they should be ok otherwise.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I don't think you'd be disappointed.

For a long while I couldn't decide between the SE530, the ie8s or the EX700s. Eventually I went with the ie8s. Combined with the X they sound stellar. I'd imagine the Shures to sound as good, but I haven't heard them.

I have heard of people using SE530s with their P3s and they sound excellent, requiring little in the way of EQ adjustment.
Hi,

I just but a pair of Audio Technica AT-ESW9 to use with the X, but am planning on buying the IE8s too.

Can you tell me whether there is any hiss with them? I hate the hiss with the stock ones and I do not have it with my AKG K450, so would like to know how it is with IE8s.

Used in the past: Rio Carbon, Creative Zen Vision M, Sony NWZ-A818
Just-a-Photograppher's Website

Old 02-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Banned

Absolutely none at all, not that I can discern.

Listening to Dylan's Oh Mercy atm, there is absolute silence between tracks and no hiss within the music.

Best iems I've had, although I've not had many to compare.

Listening to Time Out of Mind just about blew my head off with the X and ie8s, such is the mystery of how that album was recorded and produced.

Last edited by Dreamnine; 02-01-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Absolutely none at all, not that I can discern.

Listening to Dylan's Oh Mercy atm, there is absolute silence between tracks and no hiss within the music.

Best iems I've had, although I've not had many to compare.

Listening to Time Out of Mind just about blew my head off with the X and ie8s, such is the mystery of how that album was recorded and produced.
Geee, I want them so badly! I have just forked out 150GBP for the ESW9s, so will have to wait a month or so, but they will be mine

Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The IE8 do hiss with all portable players I've tested too, but much less than the SE530. I wonder if they really don't hiss with the Sony X... I've often asked on forums if players or amps hiss with certain phones, and the answer was almost always "no, no hiss" from most people. Needless to say, I was usually disappointed, because there really isn't much hardware out there that is absolutely black with low impedance/high sensitivity IEMs. Seems people don't really notice hiss until someone tells them it's there. Good for them, but I'm hyper-sensitive to that flaw of almost all players and portable amps.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Banned

It'll be worth it. I spent nothing over Xmas and New Year - hardly went out because Edinburgh was just like a Narnian glacier... But I was pretty sure I was getting these over other choices and like Scott Walker, I've no regrets...

Old 02-01-2010, 03:01 PM

I use the 530's with the X. I'm not an audiophile so I can't compare with other setups but to me they sound great!

My last player was a Creative Vision M, which hissed less with the 530's but there is an obvious improvement in sound quality using the X.

I only notice the hiss in between tracks, or when it's fading out. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Enjoy!

Old 02-01-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
It'll be worth it. I spent nothing over Xmas and New Year - hardly went out because Edinburgh was just like a Narnian glacier... But I was pretty sure I was getting these over other choices and like Scott Walker, I've no regrets...
Haha, I spent 900 right before and after Christmas and now 150 for the ESW9s so I really have to wait a bit for the IE8s, but I am set to buy them, sooner or later

Old 02-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Smile Stunning

They sound just stunning with my X1060 and as for hiss its a non issue for me.

Regards

Old 02-03-2010, 07:37 AM

I use the 530s with the X. For the most part I just don't notice the hiss. If there's any ambient noise, even though the 530s are good at noise isolation, it tends to blank out the hiss. I do listen to audio books at night, at a very low volume. These times, I do find the hiss a bit annoying, and have an inline adapter that I bought from eBay that cuts it out. I wouldn't use the adapter in normal circumstances, as it also give the sound a somewhat 'dead' quality. I don't use any EQ as the sound out of the box is great.

Bottom line, my personal opinion is that I wouldn't want this combination if listening to a lot of quiet music in quiet environments, but otherwise I don't notice the hiss.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 AM

I thought only the stock headphones supported the NC feature? Would NC work with the headphones you guys are discussing?

Old 02-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akvasu View Post
I thought only the stock headphones supported the NC feature? Would NC work with the headphones you guys are discussing?
No. Only the stock headphones support the NC feature. As you say. The SE530s are an example of in-ear phones whose sound isolation properties are better than noise cancellation. IMHO.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joplin View Post
Its very important to know how the Shure 530ee iem's sound on the Sony X-1060 with/without EQ)
I will be using CDs as my source and recording in AIFF or ACC I hope I have the formats name correct.
The music selection is Classic Rock/80s music.
My main concern is SOUND Quality.
I have picked these phones because they are very efficient therefore low volume =loud sound.

These are the Iems I want feedback on from people that actually own the shure/Sony X-1060
I've had the sony x with the shure se530. The sound is pretty good. But I'm a basshead and the shure's have slightly less bass than I would like (the clear bass setting distorts the music on the se530) so I'm going to sell them. Beautiful mids though. They play very loud on the X but other phones don't (like the hfi-780). I returned my Sony X mainly because it wasn't loud enough for both the car stereo and my Hfi-780 (had to turn the volume on max just to get decent enough volume). If you like decent bass but not too much then the combination is great and probably unbeatable. If you are a basshead and midhead (new term lol) then I would suggest the hippo vb first (great bass and good forward mids is what I've heard, I just ordered a pair) then the ie8 (if you like more of a midbass hump and decent mids). And if you like mostly great mids and treble with ok bass then I would suggest the phonaks for cheaper than the 530s.

Note: I would actually wait for the nwz-a846 though (unless you like touch screens and want slacker and youtube). Hopefully if comes out soon somewhere where they ship to US. I can't wait. This is my dream player.

Last edited by h1a8; 02-07-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:05 AM

Wow these headphones cost more than the player itself! Any cheaper prices 'phones that you guys recommend?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:42 AM

Hi - How are the Klipsch image s4 headphones? They have good reviews on net and are better priced than Shure offerings.... Have you guys used them on any players?