android
Old 01-30-2010, 04:22 PM

Default What are some good wrap around earphones?

Well my sony Mdr-As40Ex earphones just died on my right side. I've had these for about 6 months. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product These are my 2nd pair. My first pair had the same problem in just under 10 months of use. What is up with that? So I need some recommendations for some decent earphones that go around the ear and are sweat resistant. Price is a factor. I'll only pay high price if they are worth it. They should last and have great quality. Is this problem common with these particular earphones? I was thinking of getting the same ones for the 3rd time. So let me know what you guys/gals use that wrap around the ear and can take abuse while exercising. Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-30-2010, 05:16 PM

With a pair of these you can look at almost any iem/canalphone ...

Apologies I don’t know anything about the Mdr-As40Ex other than IMHO sony charges too much for what they sell.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-30-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
With a pair of these you can look at almost any iem/canalphone ...

Apologies I don’t know anything about the Mdr-As40Ex other than IMHO sony charges too much for what they sell.
Hmm... those look pretty nice. How is the quality on those? Are they built to last?

Old 01-30-2010, 05:33 PM

OK I was pretty interested in them until I saw the $139 price tag.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:35 PM

I think Walkgood meant the $9.95 PFE earguides, which fit pretty much every in-ear phone. I think direct links don't work on that site, you have to navigate to them yourself.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:43 PM

Yea, that's what I ment dfkt, sorry for the mishap as I didn't check the link or say anyting about the earguides. But they would certainly open the door to lots of other possible contenders for you.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:47 PM

Oh ok. Whew. So with those guides, what kind of earphones should I get?

Old 01-30-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntrat View Post
Oh ok. Whew. So with those guides, what kind of earphones should I get?
I’m bowing out of any specific recommendations after seeing the price on the sony, but so that others can help you, you should state your maximum budget, type of music you like to listen to, if you like an emphasis on bass, treble, mids or if you want a balance between the 3 and what ever else could help us help you. Although I wouldn't expect the world in that sony price range.

Here are two threads you should look through as well:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...hread.php?t=69
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=15243

Old 01-31-2010, 06:13 PM

I am not an audiophile so sound quality is not top priority for me. I don't even know what treble and mids are. I just know bass and that would be nice on a pair. Long as the audio comes out loud and clear, I'm good. I would prefer to pay for something under $50 because I am afraid if I pay $100+ for some earphones, I'll damage them at work. I occasionally get the cord caught on stuff. So basically I am looking for something with short cord length, sweat resistant, nothing too expensive, and should be able to last at least a year with minimal abuse. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:01 PM

I am leaning towards these Sennheiser OMX 680 sports earphones:

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...rt-line_504042

How is the Sennheiser sports line? I have never heard of this company before. Also how good is that 2 year warranty? If it fails, do I get another replacement?

Old 02-05-2010, 01:15 PM

sorry a little off topic but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I think Walkgood meant the $9.95 PFE earguides, which fit pretty much every in-ear phone.
... are there any alternatives to that brand? Maybe something on Amazon? I tried searching with no luck. I've never had any luck wrapping any of my IEM's around my ears on their own so I'd love to try something like these.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:41 PM

V-Moda and Sennheiser make some ear guides too. Maybe you have some luck finding those. They look less soft and comfortable than the Phonak ones, though. I have the ear guides that came with the Senn IE8, and I don't like them - while I use the Phonak ear guides daily on my Hippo VB. Why not just order the Phonak things off their site? They're shipping from inside the USA.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Thanks dfkt!

Just because I love one-click with Amazon... no fuss with inputting cc info. Just ordered em! Oh and those Hippo VB's too when I get a little extra cash.

Last edited by Machiventa; 02-05-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Tags
earphones, mdr-as40ex, sony