android
Old 01-30-2010, 03:09 PM

1. Youtube app
2. Instant Messenger (AIM, Yahoo, MSN)
3. More games

But all of these would be pretty useless if you cant connect to 90% of the wifi available

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-30-2010, 03:14 PM

1) Shoutcast stream. (mp3 and maybe ogg stream? )
2) Pinball. Would fit the screen well.
3) ....
Why no 3? Need to see how the first two work out.

Would pay for #1. Could walk around and listen to my little Internet radio station at home and when out.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
RSS reader and email could be synced from the PC (maybe), and could be downloaded when there is connectivity, and then read later.
I agree. PC-based email and RSS feed syncing is better than nothing. But it harkens back to the good old days of the pre-wifi PDAs from Palm where you have to sync everything form the desktop. On the other hand, the Zune has built-in wifi and it's best to take advantage of it.

Just saying that the connectivity requirement is a weak knock against YouTube, when the built-in Marketplace on the HD also requires connectivity.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:18 PM

One thing I was just thinking... How bout a word processor that can export the files easily... I am not sure how this can be done, since the Zune needs to have the software running to transfer data... Maybe email support... I don't know...

Old 01-30-2010, 03:31 PM

1) RSS reader
2) youtube
3) port of an xbla game like geometry wars or braid or ability to browse through xbla arcade games and buy them on device(even if they cant be played on it)

Old 01-30-2010, 03:42 PM

Old 01-30-2010, 03:49 PM

Youtube.
Youtube.
Youtube.

Without it, it's going nowhere.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:58 PM

Well wouldn't email require connectivity also just like youtube? Unless all you want to do is read old email that you downloaded earlier, I don't necessarily see how you can justify one over the other. My three are...

1) Youtube
2) Calender
3) Pandora or Last FM

As for games I would like to see...

A flight sim or arcade, like ace combat on Iphone
An FPS, something using the new Unreal tech that was demonstrated would me nice

Last edited by kutthoat5150; 01-30-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:08 PM

1. A "jailbreak" app, to allow people to use THEIR property the way THEY want (including USB MSC, access to the WinCE OS for purpose of installing software, etc.)

2. An SDK (a REAL one, not a "some games only" cripplefest).

3. A USB host-mode driver (combined with a five-dollar dongle to enable users to plug in a keyboard/mouse/etc.)

Add those three and you'll sell a LOT more players.

Oh, dang, there I go again, forgetting that the goal is NOT to sell more players. I guess you can tell that I'm no Hahvahd em-bee-yay! Just cannot wrap my wee l'il mind around this "new marketting" approach!)

Old 01-30-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_k View Post
1. A "jailbreak" app, to allow people to use THEIR property the way THEY want (including USB MSC, access to the WinCE OS for purpose of installing software, etc.)

3. A USB host-mode driver (combined with a five-dollar dongle to enable users to plug in a keyboard/mouse/etc.)

Oh, dang, there I go again, forgetting that the goal is NOT to sell more players. I guess you can tell that I'm no Hahvahd em-bee-yay! Just cannot wrap my wee l'il mind around this "new marketting" approach!)
No they won't. Learn their target market. They analyze things they could add, and decide whether it will sell enough extra devices to offset the cost of adding it.
Please read Dave's posts on how business/the Zune team works.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
No they won't. Learn their target market. They analyze things they could add, and decide whether it will sell enough extra devices to offset the cost of adding it.
Please read Dave's posts on how business/the Zune team works.
1. Yes, Master.

2. I repent in dust and ashes for the antizunisher thoughtcrime of "Having an Opinion."

3. I curse my vile excuse for a shambles of a worthless existence, for having had the unmitigated nerve to EXPRESS my opinion.

Bonus (bone-us?) item:

4. Let's say for discussion's sake that I just don't give a damn anymore. I'm getting on in years, I see what side the proverbial bread is buttered on, and I'm willing to whore myself out for The Big Dollar. So, with that being the baseline, how much could I expect to make BY whoring myself out as a Zune Fanboy? How often would I have to post? (I'd have no problem posting the most asinine pro-party-line crap imaginable -- just so long as I'm getting paid for it, natch.) And, most importantly, who would I talk to in order to sign up for this exciting opportunity?

TUVM to anyone who can help me out here!

Old 01-30-2010, 04:33 PM

youtube
paint?!
instant messaging(aim, msn, yahoo)

Old 01-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:

I'm with you m_k, I Agree. At least they should address the SDK part, so that Third Party Developers make up for the shortcomings in Basic Apps Department.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:41 PM

1) IM suit (Yahoo, MSN, AIM, Gtalk) with full Sms texting support.
2) Youtube (would prefer a full flash support)
3) Last.fm or Pandora

I would also agree with others on the Bing support for maps and such. (Or even google or something)

Some sweet games would be nice too, but those apps I would use quite a bit, as long as I was near WiFi.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:43 PM

Going have to have to agree with nightstar on the first 2.
1) Shoutcast stream.
2) Pinball.
3) An FPS (is that even possible?)

Old 01-30-2010, 04:44 PM

I honestly don't have as much of a need for apps on this thing. However since there still isn't an official Xbox Live app on Windows Mobile (despite talk of it back in 2005...), I'd go for that.

1) Xbox Live (w/ friends list, messaging, and browsing of friends achievement history)

2) A creative game that revolves around the music on your device. AudioSurf was entertaining enough for a while. Since I mainly bought this as a media player (and it is second to none at doing that), the only time I would really use this for gaming is if the game itself used my media. Otherwise, I've yet to enjoy any kind of touch screen exclusive games more than my DS or PSP which are usually in my bag.

3) An Indie Games app? There are some games in the Xbox Live Arcade Indie Games section that are actually pretty good. Since these games are built using XNA, it shouldn't be too difficult for developers to port these to the Zune HD. This would take some of the burden of building a stable of apps off of you guys and allow indie developers to utilize a mostly untapped market. Just keep the rating system and overall layout the same so we could still browse through the most popular or highest rated games and the inevitable crap that makes it to the market falls to the bottom.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:44 PM

So I take it from this topic the Zune team are a bit lost for inspiration and ideas?

Folks of ABI...get the feeling you already are the real Zune Team?

Old 01-30-2010, 04:45 PM

Today's Moment in History:

A generation or two ago -- I think it was back in the late 1950s -- radio stations used to distribute promotional radios -- these radios were either given away free, or sold at very low ("subsidized") prices -- because they could ONLY receive ONE station. (Guess WHICH station?)

It did not take long for the FCC to weigh in with a rule prohibiting this, as it was deemed as being not in the public interest. Oh, sure, the STATIONS thought it was in THEIR interest, but, "we, the people" -- via "government by the consent of the governed" -- decided that it was not in OUR interest, and that was the end of that.

Now, I'm not suggesting that the government step in to give Microsoft a spanking. First off, I don't believe in that sort of thing in this sort of situation, and more significantly, the MARKETPLACE can do a MUCH more effective job of delivering the rod where it will have the greatest effect.

In short, tell enough customers to FOAD, and they WILL take your advice -- and their dollars -- and eventually, you'll have the whole sandbox to yourself.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
1. Yes, Master.

2. I repent in dust and ashes for the antizunisher thoughtcrime of "Having an Opinion."

3. I curse my vile excuse for a shambles of a worthless existence, for having had the unmitigated nerve to EXPRESS my opinion.

Bonus (bone-us?) item:

4. Let's say for discussion's sake that I just don't give a damn anymore. I'm getting on in years, I see what side the proverbial bread is buttered on, and I'm willing to whore myself out for The Big Dollar. So, with that being the baseline, how much could I expect to make BY whoring myself out as a Zune Fanboy? How often would I have to post? (I'd have no problem posting the most asinine pro-party-line crap imaginable -- just so long as I'm getting paid for it, natch.) And, most importantly, who would I talk to in order to sign up for this exciting opportunity?

TUVM to anyone who can help me out here!
True Story, this reminds of a Benjamin Franklin Quote

Benjamin Franklin,"Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."

Old 01-30-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
So I take it from this topic the Zune team are a bit lost for inspiration and ideas?

Folks of ABI...get the feeling you already are the real Zune Team?
LOL! I read that as "RED team"!