android
Old 01-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Buddy

Default So let's say you run the Zune team...

... and your vice president comes to you and says, "Give me three apps for Zune HD that will have the absolute greatest impact on customer satisfaction/sales/adoption".

You pause and think. Hmm, YouTube would be good - but it relies on connectivity which not everyone has all the time. Email? Could be good. Killer game or two perhaps? But you need to narrow to three.

I'd probably go with, 1) email client, 2) caching RSS reader, 3) internet radio app (streaming terrestrial radio, not Last.fm style - I want to listen to Aussie radio).

So what about you? What would your three be?

Cheers, Dave.

P.S. DISCLAIMER - this doesn't mean I'm building an email client, a caching RSS reader or an internet radio app. Or maybe I am. I can't tell you - and you shouldn't take anything from this other than it's a fun discussion. BUT... if you guys overwhelmingly tell me I need to build a flashlight app (for example), then that gives me some useful info, right?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-30-2010, 11:47 AM

#1: Youtube, people expect this nowadays.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

1) Calender
2) Notepad
3) YouTube

Those are the only apps I really need. Others of course would be nice. So I take it that we have three apps coming after Facebook?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
So I take it that we have three apps coming after Facebook?
Nope. See my disclaimer. I promise there'll be more after Facebook. Whether it's 1 or 100, I'm not saying.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:30 PM

1) internet radio app for sure
2)Solitaire (may sound random and simple...but honestly...this game is the only game i ever really play on mobile devices next to texas hold em...i figured solitaire would come standard
3)I guess i'll throw out youtube as well...its not a huge deal for me...but i wont lie..the day i got my zune i went straight to youtube.com and was pretty disappointed

apps aren't huge on my list though...the zune is amazing for what i bought it for...music and video and hd radio

Old 01-30-2010, 12:36 PM

Vote:

1. Notepad (would be SO useful)
2. Youtube
3. Pandora or something similar

Old 01-30-2010, 12:42 PM

1. Last.fm
2. PDF reader
3. Not app but make ability to use the device as mass storage. for some people it's important and then they could buy zhd.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:52 PM

1. Youtube ( and the ability to stream it on your TV through the HD AV dock )
2 .Games
3. E-mail client

Old 01-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Banned

1. Youtube- So i Can show my friends at college Videos of Microsoft Products.

2. Book Reader

3. Bing Maps- Love Bing Maps, I will flaunt Bing Maps on my Device in public, get people to ask me whats that little device called and I would say Zune HD, from Microsoft, that Slays all the Ipods.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:02 PM

1. Notepad cant be that hard right?
2. Instant messangers( MSN SHOULD BE ONE) aim too yahoo and myspace
3. A beter drawing app

Old 01-30-2010, 01:10 PM

Apps I would want:
RSS reader (caching)
Dictionary
Not so much as a built-in thing, but text/document reader

Apps I think the public would want:
YouTube
Not too sure about what next.
Games?
Calendar?
News app (caching)?
Map reader?

It does seem apps are a novelty to me. I mean the dictionary can be really useful sometimes. I find the only time I use my Zune is for walking, so I bought this for the media.

Last edited by Jacob; 01-30-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
You pause and think. Hmm, YouTube would be good - but it relies on connectivity which not everyone has all the time. Email? Could be good. Killer game or two perhaps? But you need to narrow to three.

I'd probably go with, 1) email client, 2) caching RSS reader, 3) internet radio app (streaming terrestrial radio, not Last.fm style - I want to listen to Aussie radio).
Well, an email client, caching RSS reader, and internet radio app would also rely on "connectivity which not everyone has all the time". So why is the reliance on connectivity a knock against a Youtube app, and not against the three apps you mentioned?

I'd say as a wifi-enabled media player, supporting YouTube would be a big plus, if not a must. I'm still hoping that eventually some form of YouTube app (either browser-based or stand-alone app) will come out, but I'm not holding my breath. I think there's a reluctance on the part of Microsoft to support it. Even Microsoft's Xbox 360 doesn't natively support YouTube, unlike the PS3 and the Wii.

Having said that, I'd like to see the following apps (aside from Youtube):

1. personal information management (PIM) suite: calendar, contacts, notepad, with the capability to sync to the desktop or online (Windows Live?)
2. universal instant messaging client: between an email client and an IM client, I think IM would be more useful for me, since I mostly use web-based mail which I think the browser adequately supports.
3. Bing app especially maps - I can do without the voice search since obviously the Zune doesn't have a mic

I don't know whether these apps are enough to increase sales/adoption. But I'm sure a healthy selection of apps on the Zune will definitely help.

If I could add to the list, a caching RSS reader would also be useful. I also thought a DLNA client would be cool to have, but whether it's truly useful is another matter.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djca View Post
Well, an email client, caching RSS reader, and internet radio app would also rely on "connectivity which not everyone has all the time". So why is the reliance on connectivity a knock against a Youtube app, and not against the three apps you mentioned?
RSS reader and email could be synced from the PC (maybe), and could be downloaded when there is connectivity, and then read later.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:40 PM

How about a pinball game? zune hd would be erfect with that. Like the jen pinball game haha. Ohh i just played this game called dark nebula on my brother ipod its pretty kool the zune needs something like that

Old 01-30-2010, 01:42 PM

1. Email Client(possibly sync with outlook, or any other desktop client)
2. YouTube
3. Calendar(tasks, appointments, birthdays, anniversaries...)

Old 01-30-2010, 01:42 PM

Hmmn.. This is an excellent question asked by someone who sounds like he actually listens to what the consumers want. It's good to have you on our side.

Games I would love to see on the Zune HD...

Minesweeper (love this game)
Bejeweled
Solitaire
Mahjong
Farm Town or something stupid like that. The lemonade stand type games
Any game that puts the tegra to good use.

You can have Shell Game back. (what was the thought process there?) lol

Youtube, Calendar, Facebook and notepad are no brainers. We want them! Maps would be cool too.

If you ask me the only gripes I really have with the Zune HD are the lack of apps (which i know you're working on) and the web browser. A better web browsing experience would make me one happy camper.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:50 PM

3 apps? Let's see...

1. Gotta go with a Youtube app. This app is the one the masses really want. LOL there's a petition going on the Zune.net Zune HD app forum for a Youtube app. I really hope we get this soon. I love Youtube.

2. More games

3. Last.FM

Other stuff that I'd love to see...

I'd love to get an app that deals with school. Maybe an app that I can use to make flash cards. Or maybe an app that deals with all the major subjects (English, Math, Science, ect.) with different levels for the subject....afterall I'm in college.
For instance, for Math...the app could include everything from basic math all the way up to college level Calculus, Stats. and Trig. Also it would need to have things like formula charts too.

An app for instrumental musicians. On this app you could have fingering charts for different instruments, and the ability to tune (have to use headphones for that though). For instance, if you were using the clarinet or trumpet and you wanted to tune...you'd hit a button on the app and concert b-flat or concert f would play in perfect pitch. You'd then tune to that pitch. On this app you could also include Guitar chords and things like that.

And some sort of document reader.

Last edited by DeadmanIncWorldWide; 01-30-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:58 PM

Oh and BING MAPS!!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Youtube- and would it be possible to download videos for offline viewing on the theoretical app?

Last.fm, pandora, on of those

And Solitaire as the next game please!!!

Old 01-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned

This is my first time posting here. I hope you people welcome me.
Quote:
... and your vice president comes to you and says, "Give me three apps for Zune HD that will have the absolute greatest impact on customer satisfaction/sales/adoption".

After being asked that, I would say the following:
Zune HD needs the next apps and games under his APPS menu to gather more marketshare if not mindshare
1. An Xbox Live client to check your gamescore, allow you to take part in a Arcade game as an observer or chat with your friend on Xbox Live or in case that isnt feasible put a MSN Messenger client on the device
2. Either develop and port one of the following games to the device: Geometry Wars, Castle Crashers or Halo Universe: Portable Edition (multiplayer action/FPS game mix)
3. a media application or office productivity application. Pick a poison between Email, Notepad One Note, satellite radio (uff another radio), Spotify, Pandora, Last.FM

That will gather audience coming directly from your strong assets in the marketplace.