android
Old 01-30-2010, 10:40 AM

Default I dont see why people like Sansa Clips

I bought a new 4gb Clip+ about 6 weeks ago. Ever sense I have been spending more time trying to correctly add music to it then listing to it (and I listen to music a lot). First after reading trough the manual a few time I was finally able to get my computer to recognize the device. The second problem and the most on going is it in incapable of being synced properly. As soon as I plug in the device to the computer it automatically starts to sync all the music on my library. And when the music is on the device it switches and splits up the names of certain albums and artists. For example in my library all the music by a rap group "N.W.A." will get split in the device randomly into two groups "N.W.A" and "N.W.A.". It will also split up artists into two groups with the same name for example "Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five" will be split in to two groups that both say "Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five"

more to come

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-30-2010, 10:56 AM

Sounds like a tagging problem.

mp3tag is your friend

Old 01-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

All these issues are user errors, nothing wrong with the actual player. You can't expect the device to undo all of your own mistakes, and get angry with it when it doesn't. The clip doesn't automatically sync anything, your computer does, and only after you've clicked something to make that happen. It also doesn't list anything wrong, it lists stuff as different artists if the names are different. It's your job to make sure they're not different, not the clip. No MP3 player will autocorrect the user's bad tags

Old 01-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, the first time I plugged in my Clip, Fuze, and Clip+ into whatever PCs I owned at the time, they were immediately recognized. Any idea what was wrong with your computer?

What are you using to sync your music? Personally I just drag & drop what I want to move to the player. There's way more music on my PC than will fit on the player, so I am selective.

Yeah, artist names are a nuisance. I try to tag my music carefully, but I'm human and make mistakes. "Electric Light Orchestra" sometimes comes out misspelled (I gotta learn to type better) or as "ELO", or maybe "ELO " (note the space). As IanD said, you have to fix the tagging. Been doing this ever since my first decent mp3 player (a hard drive ipod with a crappy hard drive).

There's an old saying "GIGO". "Garbage In..Garbage Out". Basically the more effort you put in to preparing the music for the player, the better the results. These little toys aren't mind readers after all.

Steve

Old 01-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If yer pc is struggling to recognise it, its most likely the whole MTP/MSC thing. AS for syncing I never do it out of fear for that application to go tinkering with my tagging.
I use tag&rename as my preferable tagging software.
Everyone is right, this has little to do with yer player and more about computers and tags in general.

Also FreeZ5, u might like this little piece of software, Amok Playlist Copy, http://www.amok.am/en/freeware/amok_playlist_copy/
Input yer playlists into it and then it can generate folders with the actual songs in them from that playlist, pretty cool. U end up with yer sansaclip beng a 'playlist player' in a sense, at least thats what mines is.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The easiest sometimes is the best:

-- set the Clip+ USB mode (under its settings) to MSC

-- turn off whatever software you have (WMP?) that is causing the syncing, and simply drag and drop, or copy and paste, to the Clip+.

Voila!

Old 01-30-2010, 05:05 PM

Rather than give you the business like others have

In no specific order, I like the Clip because:
  • Sound quality
  • MSC
  • Size
  • Easy of use
  • You can rockbox v1’s
  • Build quality

BTW, did I tell you how much I like rockbox, haven't run the OF in over a year now

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-30-2010, 05:44 PM

Actually I've had the same problem in msc mode. Where, for instance, "Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds" gets split into "Dave Matthews and T" and "Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds." etc. And it wasn't tagging, it was the way the clip indexed the files. If I plugged the clip in, changed the tag to something else, then changed it back, thereby forcing the clip to reindex, it would work. btw I am a stickler for tagging and they were fine in other programs. It's a definite bug, I suspect it's related to the folder browsing merging bug.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:37 PM

The first problem was solved by the usb mode thing but I can assure you that that it is not my error that caused the mislabeling on the device. I have checked this at least 20 times today alone.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:47 PM

I finally figured out the automatic sinking problem. I and as I said before it came that way it was nothing I clicked to make it like that. I am trying for a 5th time to fix the tagging issue. To do so I deleted all the music on the player an am about to resync. In this process another problem has occurred. I even though I deleted the music and check to make sure it was deleted it still says on my computer have 3.6 gigs of music.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:26 PM

AHHHG I cant resync. Every time I hit the sync button it gives my a list of song and it says already on the device but I looked in all three places windows media player, the folder on my computer, and the device itself and they all say that the device is empty!

Old 01-30-2010, 09:30 PM

This last issue of 3.6gb of tunes being on there could be that it was loaded in mtp mode and then you switched to msc or vice-a-versa, which won't show what is loaded via the other mode on the player, but will show up as used space on pc. At this point, you probably should format in FAT32 to make sure that all's been deleted, disconnect, let it rebuild db, switch mode to desired mode (msc/or mtp) and reload tunes. BTW, make sure you pick a mode and stick with it and don’t leave it in auto-select as this will only cause more problems.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabler1010 View Post
AHHHG I cant resync. Every time I hit the sync button it gives my a list of song and it says already on the device but I looked in all three places windows media player, the folder on my computer, and the device itself and they all say that the device is empty!
Sounds like you are still trying mtp, which sucks and makes you dependant on what software you are using to sync and all it’s shortcomings …

Old 01-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Administrator

What software are you using to sync the music to the player. Windows Media Player?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
What software are you using to sync the music to the player. Windows Media Player?
yes

Old 01-31-2010, 08:51 AM

And to walkgood. I am still on msc. But on a count of me not remembering what mode I started with what should I do?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
And to walkgood. I am still on msc. But on a count of me not remembering what mode I started with what should I do?
See post #12 where it says "At this point, you probably should ..."

Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 AM

^ I like to consider my self confident but I'm new the mp3 player thing and i have no clue what you said.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
^ I like to consider my self confident but I'm new the mp3 player thing and i have no clue what you said.
Hopefully, below will make it clearer:
  • Format - connect player to PC in MSC mode, right click on you player in My Computer (or windows explorer) and choose format, file system FAT 32 (don’t do “quick”), let it do its thing. *Warning, this will delete all your tunes off your player, so make sure they are backed up from player to pc*
  • Disconnect the player - once format is complete, disconnect and don’t touch anything while it rebuilds its data base. Formatting does nothing more than erase all the data on you player (i.e. music files or anything you added), but in turn it seems to fix a lot of issues and clean out the player.
  • Switch mode before connecting again to desired mode (msc/or mtp), personally I prefer MSC. BTW, make sure you pick a mode and stick with it and don’t leave it in auto-select as this will only cause more problems.
  • Reload tunes – as long as you have “view all files” enabled on your pc, you can see the music folder on the player, now just drag and drop all the tunes to that folder.
  • Disconnect player after all transfer is complete and enjoy

Old 01-31-2010, 06:33 PM

This looks like it is going to work right now I'm syncing my music. I might have a dew questions about tagging later but I would like to say thank you to every one the replied and I will definitely be on this forum more.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:19 PM

Because its damn tiny!
Koss Porta Pro 25th Anniversary Edition
Sennheiser MX471

Tags
sansa clip+, sucks