android
Old 01-29-2010, 10:10 AM

Default Looking for Player: Playlist without PC

Hi!

I am looking for an MP3-player which can create and manage playlists without using my pc!

It's called playlist "on the go" I think, but it's not easy to find some.

Do you know about devices which I can use for that?

Thanks for any idea or hint

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-29-2010, 10:24 AM

You might want to also post budget and other features you may want. For example the Sansa Clip does on the go playlists, but doesn't have a big screen to see album art and videos ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
You might want to also post budget and other features you may want. For example the Sansa Clip does on the go playlists, but doesn't have a big screen to see album art and videos ...
I' will use it mainly at home for my audio system. With simple USB-sticks I don't have the ability to use playlists. I'd like to decide spontaneously to play artist/album/song x and y and z.

I think the player should have 8 GB minimum, 16 would be nice. 32 seems to be too expensive.

Much more than 100 € I don't want to spend.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:09 AM

Sansa Clip + comes in 8gb and it also has microSD expansion slot. You should be able to find a good price on one there.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Samsung P2 and P3 both have 4 on-board user playlists you can add and subtract from. The Q2 and even T10 may have the same, but I can't check them right now.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:19 PM

Sansa Clip+ sounds great and is really cheap! I also wanted to look für a new little player to clip on my jacket soon

The Sansa Clip+ and the other players you suggested: Is it really possible to add whole folders or (using tags) artists or albums and not only single songs to the playlist?

I am using a Sansa e260 v2 right now and there is only a "favourites list" where I can add single songs, not more.

But I want to use the player like Winamp for instance: Ask my guests "What do you want to hear?" and add artists/folders/albums/songs to the playlist to have a nice playlist for the evening Everything without using my PC.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:08 PM

If it very easy to navigate on the Clip+? To say it another way: does the small screen (therefor limited portion of your list visible at a time) hinder finding a specific song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma. View Post
The Sansa Clip+ and the other players you suggested: Is it really possible to add whole folders or (using tags) artists or albums and not only single songs to the playlist?
In case you're thinking about the Fuze: as far as I can tell it does not allow you to add whole folders to the on-the-go playlist. In fact, as far as I can tell, you can only add the currently playing song to the on the go playlist. (Edit: you can add single songs straight from from the Artist/Album/Song/etc. menus, it doesn't need to be playing.) It's a fantastic player (great price too)... but like the other manufacturers they have really dropped the ball in terms of playlist options.

Last edited by Hirudin; 02-02-2010 at 06:10 AM.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
The Samsung P2 and P3 both have 4 on-board user playlists you can add and subtract from. The Q2 and even T10 may have the same, but I can't check them right now.
Samsungs are actually 5, Olley. I find I never use more than 1 on mine, though.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
In fact, as far as I can tell, you can only add the currently playing song to the on the go playlist.
Hm, yes, that's what I supposed :-(

At home I've got a home cinema system with USB and line in. I am just looking for an easy opportunity to choose and mix music new everyday day.

A player with the opportunity to add artists and albums to the playlist - and not only one single song after another - would have been so nice.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
I can confirm that the T10 does have on the go playlists, as I have one.

(N
okia 5800)
Headphones:

Sound Magic PL-30

Old 01-30-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david432111 View Post
I can confirm that the T10 does have on the go playlists, as I have one.
And can you add artists/albums/folders and not only songs?

Old 01-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma. View Post
Sansa Clip+ sounds great and is really cheap! I also wanted to look für a new little player to clip on my jacket soon

I am using a Sansa e260 v2 right now and there is only a "favourites list" where I can add single songs, not more.

But I want to use the player like Winamp for instance: Ask my guests "What do you want to hear?" and add artists/folders/albums/songs to the playlist to have a nice playlist for the evening Everything without using my PC.
You all ready own a player that has the capabilities you are looking for. You just need to Rockbox it.

Playlists are one of the greatest strengths of a Rockboxed player. The only limitation I've found in creating playlists on a Rockboxed Sansa is how imaginative I am at the moment. If you can view an audio file you can make a on-the-player playlist with it. Genre, year, folder structure, and more criteria than I can even start to recall are all possibilities with Rockbox. There's somewhat of a learning curve but once you get the hang of the context menus you can put together your evenings, days, weeks listening without ever looking at your computer.

The v2 is running the same audio hardware as the Clip, Clip+ and Fuze so you won't see any improvement in SQ should you decide to buy one of those. With Rocbox you will gain a number of audio enhancements that you don't see in the original firmware. A working equalizer along with being able to fine tune bass and treble turns a Rockboxed Sansa into an audio powerhouse for me.

If the hardware side of your e260 is still sound I would look at Rockbox before I spent any cash on a new player. I have a number of other decent to very good players but I always have my Rockboxed e250 with me when I leave the house.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:34 AM

Skip, thank you for that idea

Some time ago I heard about Rockbox and it really seems to be very interesting. But here I read that Rockbox is unstable for e200 v2 players, like mine is. So I was very unsure if I should try Rockbox.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Unstable, hah! The original firmware should be so unstable. The Rockbox developers tend to be very conservative when they categorize their results. What I've found is that if they have a current build listed it's stable enough for everyday use.

Check the Port Status page. USB hasn't been enabled and thats about it. When that's the case the player automatically defaults to the OF for charging and file transfer. There may be some minor glitches but there shouldn't be anything that would threaten the overall usability of your payer. You can always uninstall by reapplying the original firmware.

Rockbox isn't for everybody. It does require some reading and thinking in order to take advantage of the freedoms that it enables on your Sansa. For me though every minute I spent learning how to use Rockbox has been rewarded with multiple hours of music pleasure.

Since you're thinking about a new player anyway...?

Old 02-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Pretty much any of the Creative Zen players (with the possible exception of the Stones) support creation of on-the-go playlists. In fact, they work exclusively on the playlist concept. When you select songs to play, you are actually creating a "now-playing" playlist. This playlist can be named and saved on-the-fly.

Editing existing playlists is only slightly trickier. You need to load the playlist into memory, add or delete songs as desired, and re-save the playlist, either as a new name, or as the same name (it will tell you a playlist by that name already exists and ask if you want to overwrite it).

As playlist management goes, Creative has a good thing going.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"The Sansa Clip+ and the other players you suggested: Is it really possible to add whole folders or (using tags) artists or albums and not only single songs to the playlist?"

The Clip+ and Fuze will let you add an artist, album, or song to the go list in one easy step. It has a limit of 200 songs in the Go list though. You can't add a folder at a time to the Go list though.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The Clip+ and Fuze will let you add an artist, album, or song to the go list in one easy step. It has a limit of 200 songs in the Go list though. You can't add a folder at a time to the Go list though.
How do you add every song of an artist on the Fuze? The only thing I can think of (clicking the Menu button when an artist name is highlighted) does nothing.

On the plus side, although it doesn't work while browsing by folder you can add a single song to the GoList using the Artists/Albums/Songs menus like JK98 said (it doesn't have to be playing like I said in my post above).

Wait, looks like Firmwares 01.02.31 & 02.03.31 have been released. My Fuze is outdated. I'll update this post after updating.

After update...
Hmmm... the Menu button still doesn't do anything for me when I highlight an artist name.

Last edited by Hirudin; 02-02-2010 at 07:13 AM.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
How do you add every song of an artist on the Fuze?
Press the centre of the thumbwheel.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:07 AM

Sorry for being unspecific. I was talking anout adding songs to the GoList.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Press the centre of the thumbwheel.
That will bring you one step closer to adding the songs to the now playing list but unfortunately I cannot find a way to add a whole artist or album to the GoList. The GoList is a seperate playlist from the now playing list. A major difference is that the GoList is perpetual - it doesn't get erased and rewritten when you play songs that aren't on the list. Another difference is that the GoList has a limit of 200 songs (as.

Last edited by Hirudin; 02-03-2010 at 03:15 AM.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

In your Artist list.....press and hold the center button of the wheel. Seems like that's how I used to do it.

Tags
create, on the go, pc, playlist