android
Old 01-28-2010, 02:01 PM

Default Need DAC for Alessandro MS2i (Fatboy)

I have a set of MS2i on the way to me as we speak. I think these will need a dac to sound good on my laptop or desktop. I would rather something I can roam the house with so powered via USB/battery would be best. I have no preference of the battery type weather it be lithium Ion, 9v, triple or double A.

My first choice at this point is the Ibasso D4 or D10. Im thinking the D10 could be used straight from the XBOX360's optical out as an added bonus making the 360's last.fm connection that much sweeter.

I was also looking at the Nuforce UDac also but that needs a power supply?. Not sure if that would power the MS2i well enough or not.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-28-2010, 05:57 PM

The only other portable DAC/Amp that I can think of in that price range is the Corda 3move ($280.00) from MEIER-AUDIO, which I hear is a great deal on the quality/price scale, but it has no optical. The Predator is Ray Samuels AMP/DAC combo, but like the HeadAmp Pico USB/DAC amp are pricy amps and no optical again. HeadRoom has a portable Micro Amp at $399.00, but it needs an optional DAC card for USB, optical, and coaxial digital audio inputs. I listened to it once and found it really nice, but might be more expensive and IIRC it's not as small as the D10 but I'm not sure.

Also, you ask about enough power to drive the MS2i’s, but correct me if I’m wrong, aren’t they 32 ohms? If that’s the case, you shouldn’t need anything too beefy, good luck and let us hear what you end up getting

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-28-2010, 06:40 PM

Thanks WalkGood. I kinda took a leap of faith picking these up at a good price but Im now reading that to get these to sound good they need a good amp. I mis-spoke about the power aspect I think. Im kinda researching after the fact here unfortunately.

I was just real excited to get my hands on my first set of Grado's after all these years of wanting a set. The price was right so I jumped on it. Trying to read up on that other headfi site to determine what I want to do to properly amp these.

Either way Im hoping they will sound ok right from my D2 or S9. They dont even have a 1/8 plug though so I also need to find a suitable adapter, hopefully one with a short lead.

I hope I didnt get the wrong set of Grados. They will be a home can but I would like them to work in any room I drag my laptop into instead of buying another stationary amp like my old raptor I already sold.

Im going headphone crazy as my ATH M50 just arrived yesterday. But those are for a different purpose altogether. The company I work for gives us metro bus passes to commute into the city and to help leave parking room for clients. So I take a train into the city and one bus to the office. Well since I started using my customs Ive had way to many people look into my face and speak super loud to me like they think Im wearing a hearing aid or something. Its driving me nuts. Dont people get the idea that Im wearing headphones and I dont want to talk to them. I got the ATH 50 hoping that a huge can on my head would deter folks from talking to me. It actually worked today as nobody bothered me and once in the office I fold them and put them in my work bag. You cant believe how close I actually came to buying these other headphones pictured below just to get the point across to people that I want to be left alone!!!!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:12 PM

I must have read the same thing you did; they need ampíing to really make them perform best, but I canít say for sure as all the Gradoís Iíve listen to were ampíd. I donít think the D2 or the S9 should have any problems driving them, but Iíd guess they wonít perform to their best ability, but Iím not a Grado fan, so I couldnít say for sure.

BTW, lol on the closed cans w/"extreem isolation"

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

For what it's worth, Ethan, my Grado SR60i's play well even from my Sony S545, and my Samsung Q2 can really make them sing. I believe the D2 and S9 are both a little more powerful than my Q2's 20mW/channel, but your Allessandros are also way up the line from my SR60i's.

I suspect they'll sound fine from your Cowons, and even better from a dedicated amp. Congrats on the purchase!

Old 01-29-2010, 02:48 AM

Grados are a little deceptive. Yeah they are 32ohms rated and will be run by almost anything but they certainly do improve with an amp, and I'm close to 100% certain that isn't placebo!

I also just got a pair of MS2i and am running them off my iBasso D10. No complaints, they sound great, but since I haven't heard the other options presented I can't say for sure it'd be any better than the others although they have a lot of nice features like optical, opamp rolling etc

Old 01-29-2010, 03:32 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I still cant decide what Im going to get but Im gonna go with nothing for a little bit until I get used to them. Then Ill amp them and see how they change. Im thinking the iBasso D10 is the way Im gonna go.