android
Old 01-27-2010, 03:24 AM

Default audiobook problem

Have been using my Clip for audiobooks and am thrilled with it. However this week i have had a small problem that you may be able to help with. I installed 3 books, each of 3 cds each. However when I listen, I find that the listening order is - the first track from each of the cds, then the second track and so on. I have manually changed the numbers of the tracks but this makes no difference.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Bouniagues

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

If you tag your files properly, that is with the title of the book as the album title, they will show up as different books on the device. Refer to this article on how to tag files: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...tag-basics.php

Old 03-22-2010, 07:03 AM

Hi!

I recently bought a Clip+ and I've experienced the same problem as the TS. I've attached a picture of how I've tagged and named the files. What is the problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AB_Mp3tag.jpg (64.1 KB, 10 views)

Old 03-22-2010, 08:14 AM

The clip doesn't look at disc number, so what you're doing is telling it that all tracks are the same album. Add CD number to the album title (Mannen på Balkongen CD1 etc) and it should work fine

Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
The clip doesn't look at disc number, so what you're doing is telling it that all tracks are the same album. Add CD number to the album title (Mannen på Balkongen CD1 etc) and it should work fine
Hej Andreas och tack!

I just stopped doing that a few months ago , becuase I wanted the same album name for all the files of one book. My old iAudio U3 managed to understand that. Is it not possible to tell the player to play by filename instead? Or could I make a playlist for every book and put it in tha same folder. Would the playlist play the files in the "correct" order?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:24 AM

The Clip+ can play from filename, so you can do that.

However, if you want to keep the album name the same there's a much easier more elegant solution. Instead of double digit track numbers, use triple digits, and add the CD number in front of the track number. Instead of Cd1 track 01 being track number 01, you put 101. 201 for CD2 track 1, and so on.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaigre View Post
Have been using my Clip for audiobooks and am thrilled with it. However this week i have had a small problem that you may be able to help with. I installed 3 books, each of 3 cds each. However when I listen, I find that the listening order is - the first track from each of the cds, then the second track and so on.
You may have stumbled upon a bug in SanDisk's ID3 sorting routines. This happens when there are 3 digits in the track field and the disc field is non-blank. (See issue #3 in this thread on the Sansa forum.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaigre View Post
Any ideas much appreciated.
Assuming the files are suitably named, one possible solution is to use a batch ID3 editor to remove data in the track field, or, indeed, to remove the ID3 tag entirely (which should force the Clip to use filenames for sorting).

AFAIC, this and the beep bug made the Clip quite useless for audio books. I have a large collection, all of them very neatly tagged in full compliance with ID3 v2.3 (I'm rather particular about that). The latest firmware update has avowedly fixed the beep bug (and unavowedly the pitch bug), but not the ID3 sorting bug, and it's unlikely it'll ever be fixed. I gave up on Clip as audio book player and got a Sony Walkman instead, and I've been quite happy with it -- it has displayed none of the Clip's problems and the battery lasts longer.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Also when they are numbered, leading zeros are needed for proper order, so with 2 digit track numbers, the first should be 01, or with 3 digit track numbers the first should be 001. Without leading zeros, they won't play in the correct order.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:24 PM

I use my Clip+ exclusively for audiobooks and had this issue. I don't know what client you use for your audiobooks, but here is what I did to solve my issue:

Hooked up to the computer in MSC mode, I drag my book (which is in it's own folder and in the mp3 format) to the Audiobooks folder on the device. To play the book, I go to Music, Folders, Audiobooks, then the folder with my book in it, then play all. However, I DO see that my files are stored in another place on the device and all the track 1's are first from every disc and then all the track 2's. Not how I want to listen to the book.

Here's how I have my tracks listed and resting in a folder called Reversible Errors:

01_Reversible Errors_Errors D1_Track_01
02_Reversible Errors_Errors D1_Track_02

With this, I can see in the device's window, the name of the book I am listening to (Reversible Errors) and what disc I am on (Errors D1) and what track I am on (Track_01 or Track_02 or whatever.)

I use a simple ripper called "CD Ripper Freeware" and I can put any tags I like in it. Rips it clean and quickly. Never had any issues with it.

For all you folks have done for me, I hope this helps the OP in some small way.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
The Clip+ can play from filename, so you can do that.

However, if you want to keep the album name the same there's a much easier more elegant solution. Instead of double digit track numbers, use triple digits, and add the CD number in front of the track number. Instead of Cd1 track 01 being track number 01, you put 101. 201 for CD2 track 1, and so on.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to try the different methods and see which suits me best