android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 01-27-2010, 12:19 PM

When Facebook comes out, you better tell us what's next lol!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 PM

What I hope to see in the coming weeks: Microsoft releasing Silverlight Mobile for WM 6.x/7 and Zune, and open an app store for Silverlight apps.

That Silverlight Facebook client looks pretty nice using Zune UI elements. If they can have something like that (probably a lite version) run on the Zune HD, that would be nice.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:47 PM

Just a quick question...what exactly are Silverlight apps? LOL sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I'm just wondering what they are. Is it like flash?

Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmanIncWorldWide View Post
Just a quick question...what exactly are Silverlight apps? LOL sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I'm just wondering what they are. Is it like flash?
I don't mean for this to cause an interruption in this thread, but Silverlight is the Microsoft version of Flash. I like it better, personally.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Vision View Post
You do realize that this Apple Tablet has been getting a lot of attention from Media Outlet, more specifically online Tech Sites, lets take Gizmodo for an example,for the last week alone there has been at least 4-5 articles a day about how great Apple Tablet is, And considering what Apple has been doing lately i think i would be more interested in its mobile devices than some company that either fails to understand consumer or rejects to accept that its recent products have been nothing short of a catastrophe.
Gizmodo is excited about an Apple product? You don't say!

Quote:
Soapbox, Live Mail, Windows Mobile, Tablet PC all failed products

When a company loses its loyal fan, it also loses an outlet to spread the word.

I should've known better, when you have a Monkey running this company, how can you expect change.

And all the cushion MS has left in the Windows and Office products will diminish with the efforts of Open Source led by Gooogle. Google Will soon kill Microsoft. We should here more layoffs at MS and more hiring at Apple.

Dont take my word for it, ask Microsoft Shareholder how they feel about the company.
All this suggests that you believe that the utility of all technology can be reduced to the company's brand. Furthermore, you seem to see the technology sector as a Manichean struggle and a zero sum game. Microsoft's loss is not necessarily Apple's gain or vice versa. An ascendant Google (which you suggest) is just as likely to hurt Apple as help it. There's a reason that Eric Schmitt is no longer on the Apple Board of Directors and the mobile sector is where to look.

Judging from your two posts in this thread, the heuristics by which you judge the success of technology companies and the purchase worthiness of products are simplistic to the point of being worthless.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng Bomin View Post
Judging from your two posts in this thread, the heuristics by which you judge the success of technology companies and the purchase worthiness of products are simplistic to the point of being worthless.
Haha ffs, was that really necessary?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:41 PM
ABI Invaluable

So basically you had to draw the line somewhere and so since you already had XNA you just left it there as the go to guy for a SDK?

Old 01-27-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
You do realize that this Apple Tablet has been getting a lot of attention from Media Outlet, more specifically online Tech Sites, lets take Gizmodo for an example,for the last week alone there has been at least 4-5 articles a day about how great Apple Tablet is, And considering what Apple has been doing lately i think i would be more interested in its mobile devices than some company that either fails to understand consumer or rejects to accept that its recent products have been nothing short of a catastrophe.

Soapbox, Live Mail, Windows Mobile, Tablet PC all failed products

When a company loses its loyal fan, it also loses an outlet to spread the word.

I should've known better, when you have a Monkey running this company, how can you expect change.

And all the cushion MS has left in the Windows and Office products will diminish with the efforts of Open Source led by Gooogle. Google Will soon kill Microsoft. We should here more layoffs at MS and more hiring at Apple.

Dont take my word for it, ask Microsoft Shareholder how they feel about the company.
The new apple tablet is a fail. Simply put. Because the only way to get apps is via the app store. If you can't install applications via the web, this thing is nothing more than a glorified iPhone. And combine that with Apple's tendency to lock down every single one of their products, well, you have one huge paperweight. The iPad will not sell because of that. You can be an iSheep if you want. Just keep in mind that Apple isn't the holy grail of tech. Not even close.
And I can wait for the Facebook app, it's just that I feel curious as to when the new cool stuff gets announced, will it take just as long for them to be implemented?

Old 01-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
The new apple tablet is a fail. Simply put. Because the only way to get apps is via the app store. If you can't install applications via the web, this thing is nothing more than a glorified iPhone. And combine that with Apple's tendency to lock down every single one of their products, well, you have one huge paperweight. The iPad will not sell because of that. You can be an iSheep if you want. Just keep in mind that Apple isn't the holy grail of tech. Not even close.
And I can wait for the Facebook app, it's just that I feel curious as to when the new cool stuff gets announced, will it take just as long for them to be implemented?
No disrespect, but are you a comedian or something. Public perception is in Apple's favor and will continue to stay that way for foreseeable future. Before today you would've even doubted the existence of the Tablet, you can hate Apples locked down approach, but the strategy is actually working for Apple and customers really like their approach.

Look I'm just pointing out the facts, no need to start flame wars here. Isheep whats that, like an app, just kidding, I'm far from an Apple fan or even a user. If you cared to read my posts in this thread, than you would know i mentioned that i have never owned a single Apple product in my life.

Funny how the same was said about the Iphone before its launch, that it would fail miserably, because its so locked down, mark my words this thing has now become threat to the existence of Windows on Laptop and Netbooks, forget Googles' Open Source, Apple has successfully released a product that is truly revolutionary whether you like it or not.

Even our good friend DaveMac owns an Iphone, MacBook, and soon i can bet he will get an Ipad. You can bet on that.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:02 PM

Hey who copied my name with "ZuneHD?," lol?

Anyway...This is absolute bulls***! I mean no offense to the Zune team but honestly? Does it really take 4 months to make an app for the Zune HD (I don't care if there third party, do it faster!)? The last batch of apps we recieved was in November (and Twitter in December) and were getting close to February with not a single new app (excluding Twitter)! This is a great way to keep a device a float, wait excuse me...sink it. When an app takes 4 months to develop there is something wrong. If you want people to even consider a Zune HD over an iPod Touch at this point is to release a public SDK (that allows access to the Tegra, XNA doesn't cut it). I don't care how hard that would be, but you have to do it. The Tegra chip inside this thing is doing nothing right now (besides the HD video on TV). Why would you tout this as "the best music player" and give it a beastly engine?

All I can say is that if I don't see a "single" new app come with this January update (that's still coming in January right?) I will be incredibly dissapointed. There was so much promise with the Zune HD before it was released. It was said to be great at gaming, yet we only have one game that shows us moderate potential (PGR: Ferrari Edition).

Zune team this is bulls***. Why can't you tell us what apps your working on? Why can't you release an SDK and just allow for people to release apps through the internet on various websites? You don't need to host it all in your Marketplace.

Something good better happen for the Zune soon or I'm about to give up hope...

Old 01-27-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuneHD View Post
Hey who copied my name with "ZuneHD?," lol?

Anyway...This is absolute bulls***! I mean no offense to the Zune team but honestly? Does it really take 4 months to make an app for the Zune HD (I don't care if there third party, do it faster!)? The last batch of apps we recieved was in November (and Twitter in December) and were getting close to February with not a single new app (excluding Twitter)! This is a great way to keep a device a float, wait excuse me...sink it. When an app takes 4 months to develop there is something wrong. If you want people to even consider a Zune HD over an iPod Touch at this point is to release a public SDK (that allows access to the Tegra, XNA doesn't cut it). I don't care how hard that would be, but you have to do it. The Tegra chip inside this thing is doing nothing right now (besides the HD video on TV). Why would you tout this as "the best music player" and give it a beastly engine?

All I can say is that if I don't see a "single" new app come with this January update (that's still coming in January right?) I will be incredibly dissapointed. There was so much promise with the Zune HD before it was released. It was said to be great at gaming, yet we only have one game that shows us moderate potential (PGR: Ferrari Edition).

Zune team this is bulls***. Why can't you tell us what apps your working on? Why can't you release an SDK and just allow for people to release apps through the internet on various websites? You don't need to host it all in your Marketplace.

Something good better happen for the Zune soon or I'm about to give up hope...
Dave seems to be indicating that Facebook is just the beginning. I realy think something good will come out of the world mobile congress

Old 01-27-2010, 05:45 PM

Things are hinting towards WinMo7 apps being capable is the ZHD. If this is the case and if it's released in a reasonable timeframe (like I dunno, before the successor of the ZHD!), then we will be one happy bunch. If this is not the case, then this will be one angry bunch, because the lack of support and the rate of apps is unacceptable.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:49 PM

Zunehd, keep it cool and read what has been written. If things were really easy as you seem to think we would have what everything wanted. As they are not and the process of releasing an app isn't a one-man job you will have to give it some time.

They said it will take them longer to finish FB app. Then be it. I bet some problems might have come at the final stage. It is normal when you are working on something.

Finally, Dave, thanks for the explanation regarding the SDK. I just hope a day comes when the ZHD has a an app SDK in order to make things easy for everyione.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
Zunehd, keep it cool and read what has been written. If things were really easy as you seem to think we would have what everything wanted. As they are not and the process of releasing an app isn't a one-man job you will have to give it some time.

They said it will take them longer to finish FB app. Then be it. I bet some problems might have come at the final stage. It is normal when you are working on something.

Finally, Dave, thanks for the explanation regarding the SDK. I just hope a day comes when the ZHD has a an app SDK in order to make things easy for everyione.
I don't think the problem is there being a little delay on one app. It's the fact that it's been months and we've gotten next to nothing. But it is reassuring that Dave says they are working on some cool stuff. But he makes it sound like it's flash support or something. I'm not getting my hopes up until I see results. Too tired of putting faith in the potential of the Zune HD when it does hardly anything more than my old Zen Vision: M. And with half the space.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunehd View Post
hey who copied my name with "zunehd?," lol?

Anyway...this is absolute bulls***! I mean no offense to the zune team but honestly? Does it really take 4 months to make an app for the zune hd (i don't care if there third party, do it faster!)? The last batch of apps we recieved was in november (and twitter in december) and were getting close to february with not a single new app (excluding twitter)! This is a great way to keep a device a float, wait excuse me...sink it. When an app takes 4 months to develop there is something wrong. If you want people to even consider a zune hd over an ipod touch at this point is to release a public sdk (that allows access to the tegra, xna doesn't cut it). I don't care how hard that would be, but you have to do it. The tegra chip inside this thing is doing nothing right now (besides the hd video on tv). Why would you tout this as "the best music player" and give it a beastly engine?

All i can say is that if i don't see a "single" new app come with this january update (that's still coming in january right?) i will be incredibly dissapointed. There was so much promise with the zune hd before it was released. It was said to be great at gaming, yet we only have one game that shows us moderate potential (pgr: Ferrari edition).

Zune team this is bulls***. Why can't you tell us what apps your working on? Why can't you release an sdk and just allow for people to release apps through the internet on various websites? You don't need to host it all in your marketplace.

Something good better happen for the zune soon or i'm about to give up hope...
ooo wooow hahah

Old 01-27-2010, 09:54 PM

Oh god... This is gonna get confusing, I can tell

Old 01-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

maybe Microsoft was actually making a hell lot of apps/games, and decides to taunt us a little and releases ALL the apps at once?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
No disrespect, but are you a comedian or something. Public perception is in Apple's favor and will continue to stay that way for foreseeable future. Before today you would've even doubted the existence of the Tablet, you can hate Apples locked down approach, but the strategy is actually working for Apple and customers really like their approach.

Look I'm just pointing out the facts, no need to start flame wars here. Isheep whats that, like an app, just kidding, I'm far from an Apple fan or even a user. If you cared to read my posts in this thread, than you would know i mentioned that i have never owned a single Apple product in my life.

Funny how the same was said about the Iphone before its launch, that it would fail miserably, because its so locked down, mark my words this thing has now become threat to the existence of Windows on Laptop and Netbooks, forget Googles' Open Source, Apple has successfully released a product that is truly revolutionary whether you like it or not.

Even our good friend DaveMac owns an Iphone, MacBook, and soon i can bet he will get an Ipad. You can bet on that.
1: How is Apple's public perception relevant to whether the iPad is good or not? If it's bad, it's bad. If it's good, it's good.
2: The reason why I don't like the locked down approach is because the iPad is a computer, not a phone. What's the point of a computer if you can't install the programs from the web?
3: Why would you think you would need to have been a fan of Apple before getting the iPad to be a sheep? I said you're a sheep because you said you were going to get it (based on shot reasoning that Microsoft's products suck) before it was even announced, let alone released. I think you confused the term 'fanboy' for the one I used, 'sheep.' Though if you continue to use such bad reasoning as to why the iPad is actually good, instead of saying things about Apple the company and other unrelated matters, you will be a fanboy.
4: The closed garden approach works for phones and mobile devices, NOT a computer. On your desktop, if whoever provided the OS told you what you could and couldn't download and install, would you use it? No. Of course not.
And don't make assumptions about what Dave will or won't do. Again, how does the fact that Dave will 'probably' get an iPad relate to the matter of how good it is?
Now. Let's break down the iPad vs. a normal netbook.
The netbook has a hard drive, therefore having more space. The iPad only has flash, resulting in lower memory sizes.
The iPad's design makes it more susceptible to damage. The netbook's clamshell-ish design protects it more.
The biggest one: iPad can only use apps from the App Store. Netbooks can install every application available for windows on the web (matching specs, of course).
Now, ZuneHD. Don't presume to be in a position to judge the Zune team because you certainly don't know what their current situation is. Don't make rash conclusions.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Yup, my MacBook Pro runs Windows 7 Ultimate as well as any laptop I've used. Beautiful hardware running a kick a** operating system in Win7 - and looks great alongside my Zune HD.

Frankly, I was underwhelmed by the iPad. I think it will sell quite well and they have a rabid fanbase to support very significant volume. But, if I was Amazon or B&N would I be quivering? No.

The media built this device up to be revolutionary. Nifty? Yes. Revolutionary? IMHO, no.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Yup, my MacBook Pro runs Windows 7 Ultimate as well as any laptop I've used. Beautiful hardware running a kick a** operating system in Win7 - and looks great alongside my Zune HD.

Cheers, Dave.
I agree, they do have some nice hardware. You running bootcamp?