android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Zune Moderator

Default Surprise! Facebook won't be coming this month...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuneInsider.net
We know many of you are anxiously waiting for the Facebook for Zune HD app, and have been very patient. Thank you. However, we need to ask a small favor… just hold on a little longer. I know we said by the end of January, but we want to deliver the best app to you and it is going to take a little bit more time. Again thanks for understanding.
http://zuneinsider.com/archive/2010/...hd-update.aspx

I am so fed up with Microsoft and their promises. When the ZuneHD came out they promised it would be out by the end of the year. That was September 14th over 4 months ago. What the heck have they been doing all this time?

Then at CES they promised it would be out by the end of this month. Still NOTHING! I got an idea how about we open up the device/marketplace and let people who know how to make apps make them.

Zune Team you got some explaining to do...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have a feeling they saving it until February 14 when they reveal WinMo7 and hopefully the Zune Phone.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Zune Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
I have a feeling they saving it until February 14 when they reveal WinMo7 and hopefully the Zune Phone.
You mean after the 15th? That's when the conference starts.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
You mean after the 15th? That's when the conference starts.
Yeah that's what I meant. I had Valentine's Day on my mind for some reason. LOL.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 PM

If the facebook app doesn't support chat and some apps (similar to the ones the Ipod Touch supports) I will be seriously disappointed.

I assume it will tho, right? It must contain chat at the very least.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Zune Moderator

It better include all of facebook along with some sort of halo facebook game at this rate

Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

But why rush an application if it will be buggy and is not up to the expectations of Zune HD owners? There must be thousands upon thousands of lines of program code that needs to be looked at, and this can take some time. I think it's better to wait a bit longer than to have an app rushed out, only to let down people if it's lackluster.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Buddy

Hey guys:

You beat me to it - was just about to post about this.

Honestly, I'm as disappointed as you are. We did make a commitment and we're having to break that. I'll be the first to admit that isn't cool - but I'm glad we're coming out and telling you up front and being truthful. Plenty of folks out there are waiting for FB, and I'm glad we're doing the right thing about keeping you up to date.

I can tell you that this is not an arbitrary "let's hold FB back until MWC" or anything like that. This is 100% quality driven, and I strongly support the decision to wait until the codebase is rock solid before letting the app out. And frustrating as this is, I know you guys would make the same decision if you were managing the project. It truly won't be long now - we're real close.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner123 View Post
If the facebook app doesn't support chat and some apps (similar to the ones the Ipod Touch supports) I will be seriously disappointed.

I assume it will tho, right? It must contain chat at the very least.
Yeah I agree with you. I mean if it's taking them this long, then I'd say it's necessary to have at least chat. Didn't they say "but we want to deliver the best app to you"? I sure hope they're right about that.

EDIT: Thanks Dave for letting us know you are really close!

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 01-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Zune Moderator

I just personally feel like 4 months is plenty of time to get a good app made. It seems to me like even a stable app could have been made by now.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:03 PM

Microsoft might be saving it for februrary or whatever but they are reallly effing up consumer confidence in their hardware products.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Zune Moderator

Dave said they aren't saving it, this is just because it's not ready.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
But why rush an application if it will be buggy and is not up to the expectations of Zune HD owners? There must be thousands upon thousands of lines of program code that needs to be looked at, and this can take some time. I think it's better to wait a bit longer than to have an app rushed out, only to let down people if it's lackluster.
+1
Also, for a device with only wifi, I'm still not convinced this app is all that useful...put a 3G chip in there...different story(although I still wouldn't use it as I don't use facebook or twitter)...
Would like to see some additional games or other utilities...

LIP

Old 01-26-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Hey guys:

Honestly, I'm as disappointed as you are. We did make a commitment and we're having to break that. I'll be the first to admit that isn't cool - but I'm glad we're coming out and telling you up front and being truthful. Plenty of folks out there are waiting for FB, and I'm glad we're doing the right thing about keeping you up to date.

I can tell you that this is not an arbitrary "let's hold FB back until MWC" or anything like that. This is 100% quality driven, and I strongly support the decision to wait until the codebase is rock solid before letting the app out. And frustrating as this is, I know you guys would make the same decision if you were managing the project. It truly won't be long now - we're real close.

Cheers, Dave.
Thanks for being honest... I am disappointed in the late timing, but we can all live without a facebook app for another week or two. But I would like to know - what is the problem? Is coding it really that hard, or is somebody slacking on the dev team? Are you guys going to be able to do apps similar to facebook since you went through the trouble of (I'm assuming) building all these libraries and long lines of code?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:01 PM

Thanks Dave for keeping us in the loop. I really hope though that there are other apps near or getting near completion, because some people don't use FB. I understand it's a move to suit the masses, so it's all good.

It just sucks that there's only one app to look forward to, and even worse for some, one that you don't even care about.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshnor713 View Post
Thanks Dave for keeping us in the loop. I really hope though that there are other apps near or getting near completion, because some people don't use FB. I understand it's a move to suit the masses, so it's all good.

It just sucks that there's only one app to look forward to, and even worse for some, one that you don't even care about.
Agreed, the only reason I would even use facebook is when this app comes out

Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 PM

So if ZuneHD will get silverlight support, would it be along the lines of this?
http://www.silverlight.net/content/s...acebookclient/

Or if it won't support silverlight, will it look kind of like that one? Looks like it has some zune software interface-ish feel to it.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
I just personally feel like 4 months is plenty of time to get a good app made. It seems to me like even a stable app could have been made by now.
Yeah. I honestly don't care that much about the FB app at all, but it's still just like... you know I'm not even mad. I just sort of shake my head at this kind of thing and am reminded of why the ipod touch, especially the inevitable refresh this year, is so much of a better device. How the freak long does it take to get some basic apps out. I'm not programmer and I don't mean to be insulting... I'm sure things are a bit more complicated than they seem. But seriously? I knew before I bought the HD that it wouldn't focus on apps, and I'm ok with that basic idea. But maybe you guys could focus on it just a little bit more ffs? I hate to be one of those wild haters, foaming at the mouth in rage. But this is absolutely pathetic.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Hey guys:

Cheers, Dave.
Any comments on the Xvid Support ? The new SW allows you to put them in the software, and the SW will convert them (Very Slowly) to the Zune, but the press release seemed to imply Native support meaning the player will play them without conversion. Will this be the case. And will the absmal video tagging support be mproved, tagging for AVI's are even worse not even allowing a thumbnail.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
Any comments on the Xvid Support ? The new SW allows you to put them in the software, and the SW will convert them (Very Slowly) to the Zune, but the press release seemed to imply Native support meaning the player will play them without conversion. Will this be the case. And will the absmal video tagging support be mproved, tagging for AVI's are even worse not even allowing a thumbnail.
Remember that this was just a software update, not firmware. New device features can't be added if the firmware wasn't updated.