android
Old 01-22-2010, 12:25 PM

Default This Player Has Serious Problems

My YP-R1 has broke again, last time it took three days, this time it took a day. Same thing happened with it again, it loads up to the R1 bit and then restarts.
I have heard a lot of people have had this problem. This is a serious issue Samsung need to address
Does anyone here own an R1 that has lasted them more than a month?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-25-2010, 07:17 PM

I've got my R1 for more than 2 month and never got that problem (started with FW 1.15 -> 2.00 -> now 3.00)

Old 02-05-2010, 11:23 AM

I have mine since mid november and besides some smaller issues its working fine, I only got my usb cable replaced after about one week of usage...

Old 02-05-2010, 11:43 AM

I'm on my third one and its working fine now. But it still does have a few little problems.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Samsung Moderator

This issue gets fixed with the fw 3.00.
When you buy a R1 you have to upgrade it immediately and then no problem

Old 02-10-2010, 01:49 AM

Default I got 3.0

Hi people.

Just to say i downloaded the latest version of the firmware 3.0 from the korean samsung website and it is has improved the battery life but the stability has become much worse. I also have this problem of being stuck on 99% and then reset the screen is stuck on R1 screen. Really at my wits end with this player. any advice

Old 02-10-2010, 07:11 AM

Duffman93,

I have only had my YP-R1 for 2 days previously (in January 2010) I had, then returned, one YP-P3 then a second replacement YP-P3. I was tearing my hair out with the YP-P3.

Maybe my luck has changed with the R1. I have Firmware v2.0. I know different folks will have their own opinions but I am so far very pleased with the R1 as, in my opinion, it does the following things much better than the YP-P3:
  • screen more reponsive,
  • wider ranges of video formats work (still, I cannot make WMV videos work so I converted to H264/Mv4).
  • Sound better, screen better but smaller.
I can live with the downsides of a smaller screen and smaller battery but after extensive research, I have come to the sad conclusion that no MP3 player works 100% OK for me, so its just a question of compromise. Maybe I am too picky. I note, for example, with the R1, than when I switch a video off, then go back to it later, the video plays from where I left off and not from the beginning of the video. That annoys me.

I have been unimpressed with the YP-P3 and Samsung support people, it is like the people on the support desk do not fully understand the products.

I did not understand the nature of your R1 problem - is the player just freezing after you load it with files ? You probably know a lot more about MP3 players than me but IF NOT may I ask: what o/s are you using, what version of WMP and what R1 Firmware ?

Last edited by headache5678; 02-10-2010 at 07:12 AM. Reason: typo

Old 02-11-2010, 11:51 AM

The first problem occurred because I didn't update the firmware and when I clicked on a flash game it stalled and turned of. When I turned it back on it said Recovering Firmware and then kept on restating before I could get to the menu. I'm not sure what happened to the second one but it also wouldn't go to the menu. But with this one I have been very careful and I have the latest firmware. What annoys me though is Samsung send out an MP3 player with a lot of problems and then fix them with firmwares. What about people who don't know about the firmware, and without updating the firmware they have a good chance of it breaking.

I also think this MP3 player is better than the YP-P3:
- It Is designed a lot better than the P3 (this is seen most in the radio, which looks really nice),
- A lot brighter screen than the P3
- Great video format (for Youtube videos I just download and then copy and paste)
- Videos look a lot better on the R1
- Very smooth, fast and responsive touch screen (This can be seen most on the cover flow which is a joy to flick through, unlike the P3 were it is very slow)
- The song search function is very handy
- Supplied with decent in ear earphones

The P3 advantages
- Longer Battery Life
- Speaker

So Yeah overall I think the R1 is a lot better, and it is the same price amazingly. Also Trusted Reviews gave the YP-R1 a really good score, better than the P3's

Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman93 View Post
Also Trusted Reviews gave the YP-R1 a really good score, better than the P3's
That's not the case of my gmp3 reviews anyway
The P3 is much better than the R1 and most people (at least in France) agree with my expert statement.

Okay the screen is a bit brighter but the size is different and on such small screens, 0.4" more is very important

The screen is obviously more responsive and the interface is smoother on the P3!

Decent earphones... well better than most original provided earphones but still to be replaced by good IEM

What are your youtube file specifications?

Old 02-11-2010, 12:47 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Youtube file specifications'. All I can tell you is I download high quality videos of Youtube and I can put them straight onto my R1 without converting, which is very handy. I think the file format is something like MPEG if that's what you mean.

I think you were harsh with your review of the R1, I mean it deserves a lot more than 2.5. It is basically the same as the P3 just with minor changes

Old 02-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Samsung Moderator

Yes, I meant the format.
'Cause the R1 doesn't support FLV files.
But I guess HQ YT videos are in mpeg4 or something like that.

I rated it 3.5 out of 5, not 2.5. That is fair for me. For a mp3 player that doesn't bring anything to the current Samsung mp3 players range except a smaller size and new interface. New features like Beat DJ are totally useless.
And the battery life is a shame for a 2009 product.

I cannot understand how the R1 could be considered better than the P3 just for the 2 reasons above.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:03 PM

Oh ok sorry, I thought you gave it 2.5. I personally believe they should both be rated around the same because they are basically the same.
The only reason I believe people would rate them different is because of personal preferences. For example if people want more battery life they will choose the P3, if people want a more stylise MP3 player which is small and sleek and has a really nice screen they will choose the R1. I believe it definitely isn't worth an upgrade from a P3, but if someone had to choose between them, I would recommend the r1
Whatever people think about the players, I think both of them should rate something from 4-4.5/5, but that's just my opinion.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:28 PM

It broke again, that 3 times
I put 2 songs onto, took it out and it juts resets itself. That's now 3 that have broke in 3 months. I mean what the hell, this definitely isn't bad luck. These players must be bugged
Anybody else's player broke?

Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Samsung Moderator

R1s break with earlier firmwares but with firmware 3.00 or 3.03 there should be no problem. I don't understand why your R1 broke

Old 03-04-2010, 03:32 PM

Me either, oh well. I have had this player for a month now, do you know how I can get it sent of to Samsung to get replaced or fixed?

Old 03-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Samsung Moderator

It depends on the country
So the best thing to do is to call Samsung and they'll give you the adress of the after-sales service of your country. Don't forget to join a letter explaining your issue and mention your adress otherwise they cannot send it back to you (because it is not necessarily Samsung that repairs, that may be a sub-contractor like in France)

Just to be sure: when you disconnect your player from the computer, you always check there is no current files transfer?

Old 03-04-2010, 04:55 PM

Since this Samsung mp3 players have a years guarantee how can they tell how long I have had it for?
Anyway is this the process? I package it up saying what's wrong with it and my address ect. They test to see if they can fix it and if they can't they send me out a new. Do you have any idea of how long it would take Samsung to fix it or replace it? I know you don't know for sure because of different countries, but from personal experience is it usually a week or 2 or a few months?

Yes I always make sure, I made sure that time to
Also I really appreciate the help, Thanks a lot I just want to get a P3 now

Old 03-04-2010, 04:58 PM

And you should ALWAYS use the "Safely Remove Hardware" "button". Then the data is written correctly from the PC cache to the player.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Samsung Moderator

Indeed I forgot to tell you you have to join your proof of purchase/invoice too otherwise they cannot know if the repair is under warranty or not

Before sending the package to the after-sales service, don't forget to call Samsung. In some countries, they may have to create your customer file or a RMA number may be required.
There is almost no chance you get a new one because your R1 is not really broken. They'll just need their recovery software to reinstall the firmware.
Unfortunately only the after-sales service has this software, there is no public release because if it is not well used, it could really break (hardware I mean) your mp3 player.
My last experience was in 2005, since then I don't need the after-sales service anymore since I'm a Samsung Insider and I'm in close touch with Samsung technical support and Product managers
I would say it takes 15 days/3 weeks

Old 03-04-2010, 05:09 PM

Could I use an email as an invoice?

Does that mean it will have all my data on it or will it erase it?