android
Old 01-29-2010, 01:03 PM

I updated my 32 GB to 2.51 a few days ago, and till now, no problems. I use it mostly to hear music.
I just installed Claw´s UI too and it works fine and fast.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-30-2010, 03:53 AM

I updated my 32GB to 2.51 a few days ago. I only listen to music and got no problems after switching it on and off several times. I have Claw UI and custom UCIs for Main menu, Browser and Music. Have faced no issues so far.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:08 AM

Also on 2.51 with 32gb

no problems and loving the speed increase. I got rid of claw's ui in favor of dark evolution music uci and increased speed.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:53 PM

Just updated my S9 with v2.51 & also the latest version of Claw's UCI & I'm noticing a certain lag & sluggishness. Is this the firmware or the UCI? I tried the default UI as well but don't see any fastness there either!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulsajo View Post
Seems to be similar to others who have had their players 'bricked'- is the firmware upgrade a cause of my bricking, or a coincidence?

http://www.jetaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23964
This is worrying... If I had known about all these problems, I might not have ordered an S9 (which is still en route to me). The problems start from 6 months ago and continue up to within a week :X

What steps could I take to avoid this happening to me? S9 does not seem to offer many recovery options, especially since it updates after it's unplugged (decision I still find weird).

Old 02-07-2010, 11:07 AM

After doing an apparently successful upgrade, my S9 would not turn on. It did not give me the dreaded 'No font, no resources' message, but it did not charge, it wasn't recognized by my pc, reset didn't work. It seemed bricked.

In case it helps someone here with a semi-bricked device, this is what worked for me.

Push the reset with a paper clip *and* keep the slide button on the "on" position. At the same time, connect the usb cable to the computer. Maybe I was very lucky, but this did the trick for me. The computer recognized the device and I was able to reinstall the firmware again.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Another way to go into recovery mode is holding the play button while sliding power on. That might work as well. Unfortunately we have no FWDN version or TCCtool that actually recognizes the S9 and would work for brick recovery.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:08 PM

anyone knows when the next update may roll out? thx

Old 02-27-2010, 01:13 PM

I got another s9-32 sent to me from COWON - Irvine yesterday. The serial #s are different so it's either refurbished or new- either way it works so I'm happy. The firmware is 2.50, so guess I'll take another crack at 2.51.

I did notice two new folders in the root that I didn't have before: something called ".Spotlight v-100" and another folder simply called ".Trashes" There is also some sort of podcast software on it now, "Mypodder." Anyone know anything about any of these?

Old 02-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Those junk folders mean the player has been attached to a Mac OS X computer. I guess there's a high chance of it begin refurbished - and not even freshly formatted before giving it away... kind of shabby from Cowon America.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:50 PM

Mypodder is a podcast client that comes installed on a lot of them - it did on mine, anyways, and mine was not a refurb. Just format the player, that will remove all the junk.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:44 PM

Ok, you folks are making me really nervous here. I just got my tax return and am about to purchase my next mp3 player, which was supposed to be a 32gb cowon s9. However, I'm having second thoughts after seeing this particular issue. I'm already a bit gun shy because of how a flash upgrade bricked my ps3 so you can imagine how this makes a guy feel who's only got a 500 mb iriver as a backup. Yes, my last samsung p2 died on me and i sent it back while it was under extended warranty. I really want the s9 but maybe i should just buy a zune hd until these issues get resolved. Any thoughts? I'll wait until I hear from a few people before deciding.