android
Old 01-21-2010, 01:11 PM

Default Firmware 2.51

MainMenu1 - Moved location of the power button.
MainMenu2 - Added power and music playback buttons.
MainMenu3 - Improved speed.
Fixed the error that auto turn off is not working properly in some situation.
Fixed some errors at hold status in Videos mode.
Fixed the display error of some subtitles in Videos mode.
Fixed the error in music playback with some files that contain irregular album art.
Fixed the error in music playback with some FLAC files that contain irregular tags.
Fixed the error that some widget setting was not saved correctly after turning off system.

http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard...&bmenu=support

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-21-2010, 01:17 PM

finally it's faster!

Old 01-21-2010, 03:38 PM

Woooohoooo

I love updates!

Thanks for the news!

Stop the loudness war - Turn Me Up!

Old 01-22-2010, 05:50 PM

thanks

Old 01-23-2010, 02:22 AM

Definitely faster & more responsive.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:14 AM

Agreed!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:02 PM

The new version has killed my player, a 32GB model I've only had since Xmas.

I downloaded 2.51 from Cowon. Upgraded successfully. It seemed to run fine, I watched about 15 min of a divx .avi movie last night then shut it off.

When I turned it on today, it died within a minute:

I turned on the player, everything fine. Using aeroglass 2 (running on mainmenu 2) I went to the video player to the video I had been watching the night before (I had previously run it a few times with no problems under 2.5, so it's not the problem).

The first indication there was a problem was that the video mode would not go into landscape mode when tilted on its side (no, the tilt-lock function was not turned on). Unable to view the video except in the small upright mode, I hit the "M" menu icon to back out to the mainmenu; at this point things went really wrong:
I arrived at the standard/default mainmenu2 (the one with the icons on white horizontal bands) instead of the aeroglass UI I had replaced it with. I was able to flip through the 3 different mainmenus just once - trying to see what was going on - when everything went black and I got "font missing" and "resource missing" error messages (and yes, when I upgraded the firmware, I got "Success" on both the font and resource upgrades).

I turned off the player and re-started it. The start-up screen showed version 2.51, but the blue 'system starting' loading bar only got about 25% before stopping, going blank and showing the Font and Resource error messages again. I tried the reset button, but it changed nothing.

I tried hooking the player back up to my desktop (XP pro), and while it can still recharge and seems to be found as an external drive in 'my computer', right-clicking and selecting properties shows the disk to be "0 bytes". I am unable to access it or re-format it.

Then I tried hooking it up to my laptop (running vista 64) and got a pop-up saying that the disk needed to be reformatted before it could be used, but when I tried to reformat I just got another error message saying that no disk can be found.

So to summarize: I can't start it, I can't reset it, I can't access the player via pc, nor can I format it via pc.
In other words, instead of a super-cool pmp/mp3 that was the envy of my co-workers, I now have a super-expensive paperweight.

Had I read a message like this before upgrading, I might have thought twice about it and saved myself a lot of grief, so I hope this message saves someone else from having to go through the same thing.

Last edited by Bulsajo; 01-26-2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: more typos, grammar

Old 01-26-2010, 10:30 PM

was your Battery Low from the other night?

Old 01-26-2010, 11:04 PM

Nope, it had a full charge and then about 25 min of video use on brightness 4.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:11 PM

Seems to be similar to others who have had their players 'bricked'- is the firmware upgrade a cause of my bricking, or a coincidence?

http://www.jetaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23964

Last edited by Bulsajo; 01-26-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulsajo View Post
Seems to be similar to others who have had their players 'bricked'- is the firmware upgrade a cause of my bricking, or a coincidence?

http://www.jetaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23964
It appears only the 32GB version of the S9 is suffering from this fate.
I own a 16GB and so far it has worked effortlessly. All firmware upgrades have succeeded without problems and no bricking what-so-ever.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:58 PM

Well, I've submitted an RMA request to Cowon America (the 30 day warranty from the retailer has expired by a few days) so I've got my fingers crossed. I had a 16 GB Zen previously so I really wanted the 32GB, given there is no micro SD slot. I had it 71% full at the time of bricking. If smaller versions are not having problems, I wonder if it isn't defective memory that is the issue... Oh ZEN- your sounds still soothe me, but your tiny 2.5 inch non-oled screen mocks my attempts to watch 'Better Off Ted' on the bus ride to work...

Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 PM

GOD DAMMIT! I was hoping that no one would have a problem. I guess I'll have to wait for more feedback from people w/ 32GB version.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM

@Bulsajo - man, I feel your pain. I've had similar experiences with other devices before. I fortunately haven't upgraded my 32GB S9 from 2.50 to 2.51 yet, and will refrain from doing so until there is some sort of official response about this update - seems you're not the first to encounter issues with it.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:38 PM

Updated my 32gb from 2.50 to 2.51 lastnight even after reading that guys comment on it being bricked. I usually fall asleep listening to it woke up and was still playing so my 32gb S9 has no problems with it.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:15 PM

Have you tried turning it off/on again and playing back files? Could be Bulsajo's problem was on the S9 before the firmware update... hard to say though without knowing every single aspect of the S9's programming.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:01 PM

I upgraded to 2.51 on my 32 GB S9 and have had no problems so far. Watched some .avi files, listened to some FLAC and OGG files, and everything has worked fine. I did notice a slightly faster response time when navigating through the default UI, but that's about it.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:02 PM

I just upgraded my 32 GB S9 to 2.51 with no problems. Firmware transfer was accomplished with Ubuntu 9.10 Linux.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:01 AM

No problems for me either, after several days (32GB upgraded to 2.51). I've only used it for music so far, but I've done a lot of messing around with settings in Claw's UCI and I've been experimenting with the Favorites. As I say, no problems at all (yet).

Old 01-29-2010, 09:51 AM

I just updated a 32GB to 2.51, turned it off and on several times, played video, music and watched pictures doesn't seem to be any problems.
It's definitely faster too, no placebo I'm sure.