android
Old 01-20-2010, 05:40 PM

Default Unofficial apps require restart?

Hey
I just loaded on XNA game studio and dropped a couple of apps onto the zune. They play just fine, but when I press the home button the Zune HD restarts. Is this normal?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes. Microsoft does this to prevent unofficial games/apps from potentially running malicious code on your Zune once you exit them.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:43 PM

See this is why I get tired of hearing people say "stop whining about apps, there are unofficial apps." I don't want to have to download programs and things to load on an app, only to have the Zune restart *every* time I use it. Not that I don't appreciate the developers' efforts, but the current implementation is annoying. I hope that even one or two other apps ride along with the Facebook app this month. I can't stress enough how little it will take to please me (personal opinion there of course). Facebook is nice, but I'm looking for useful things I can't already do with the browser. And yes, the Facebook app is good for getting around blocking programs, but that's a problem that affects a relatively few number of people (myself included, to be honest).

I love my Zune HD, but I'm eagerly looking forward to the refresh of the iPod Touch.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky6 View Post
I don't want to have to download programs and things to load on an app, only to have the Zune restart *every* time I use it. Not that I don't appreciate the developers' efforts, but the current implementation is annoying.
I quite agree.

I'm curious, since I don't own the device myself: How long does it take for the Zune HD to reboot?

Old 01-21-2010, 10:13 PM

I just timed it. From the moment I hit the power button to the moment the main menu displayed was exactly 20 seconds. To be honest it doesn't feel quite that long, but I don't want to imagine doing that every time I use an app that isn't officially sanctioned.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:31 AM

Doesn't bother me. Better safe than sorry. I have loads of mp3s and some video files that I would hate to lose because some wise guy decided to create a malicious app. If this helps to prevent it, I can spare the 20 seconds.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blegs38552 View Post
Doesn't bother me. Better safe than sorry. I have loads of mp3s and some video files that I would hate to lose because some wise guy decided to create a malicious app. If this helps to prevent it, I can spare the 20 seconds.
I agree. So-called 'unofficial apps' are not tested or evaluated by MS...so sandboxing them makes a lot of sense. If rebooting bothers folks, don't load them. In the meantime though, it makes for a lot more apps.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:45 PM

I don't understand why Microsoft doesn't really get into bringing more apps to the Zune HD.

Personally if I were them I'd start trying to push the Zune HD's portable gaming abilities. Use that Tegra! Get some real game companies onboard and compete with the iPhone/touch, which pretty much is a portable gaming console in its own right.

As much as I'd like to stay away from Apple, I just can't see any single MP3 player more useful than an iPod touch. If the Zune HD had as many quality games and apps as the touch does, I would be all over it! It's much more attractive, feels better in the hand, is smaller and lighter and has better SQ.

But this isn't the case, and I'm in the market for portable gaming, and no, I do not want a dedicated portable game console. I do not need another plastic brick to tote around.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 PM

If you press the home button + the down volume knob at the same time, it wont restart.