android
Old 01-13-2010, 01:27 AM

Default Amp Virgin - First time is not that great =(

Just bought my first amp and truthfully I don't know the difference.
I got the amp because I bought the Head-Direct RE1.

This is my first time and I really can't tell the difference with the amp on and the amp off. Except for the fact the amp makes it louder.

I have a Sony NWZ-A729. It utilizes the CS43L21 Chipset. A single solution combining amp and DAC.

CS43L21 Chipset Spec
46mW Power into Stereo 16 headphon @ 1.8 V
88mW Power into Stereo 16 headphon @ 2.5 V

NWZ-A729 Spec
5mW (But I think they dont properly spec it)

I have grado SR60 which sound spectacular on the Sony. The grados sounded flat on Samsung P2(15mW) I own. I definitely think the Sony's are pumping out alot more than 5mW.

I have experience with quite a lot of headphones and MP3s, I can tell the difference.

The RE1 after a bit of burn in sound better but they are not as spectacular as the reviews written.

Why can I not hear any difference using the FIIO E5? The RE1 don't sound anymore different with the amp and without. There isn't a difference with my SR60 amped and without.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-13-2010, 01:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The E5 is a budget amp, remember....but try this.....the volume of your player needs to be pretty high running into the E5, then you control your volume with the E5. You'll get your best results from it that way.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:06 AM

Awesome tip...I been maxing the volume of the amp and controling the volume via the Sony (half volume). How high should I set the volume of the player...player maxed, won't it cause clipping?

Old 01-13-2010, 02:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaiji012 View Post
Awesome tip...I been maxing the volume of the amp and controling the volume via the Sony (half volume). How high should I set the volume of the player...player maxed, won't it cause clipping?
That depends on the player.....when I had my E5, I used it with Sansa Clip and Fuze, and those would let me go 100% without clipping. You might have to experiment, start with it maxed, and if it clips, turn it down just enough to stop the clipping.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaiji012 View Post
... ... Why can I not hear any difference using the FIIO E5? ...
I don’t own a FiiO, but I don’t believe that E5 will make any difference in sound quality other than possibly drive higher impedance phones a little more efficiently or may remove some of the hiss out of overly sensitive iem’s. On the negative side, it is possible that the E5 may also introduce hiss and crosstalk that you didn't have before. I did write this a while back in attempt to explain what a portable amp can do for you, some of the information is from my own experience and some from others here, hope it helps.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-13-2010, 09:55 AM

^ FiiO E5 does add some hiss to phones this is true. Really it's functionality rests on the bass-boost offering an EQ tweak without going into your DAP, and extending the battery life of your DAP (which for the price isn't a bad deal really). When I first got it I thought it was making a slight difference, I later came to doubt that and think now I was hearing what I wanted to hear (placebo effect). I've given it away now.

With a more powerful amp you may well notice a difference, I certainly do with my new amp (iBasso D10). I bought this primarily as a DAC for my bigger amp+HD650s or a DAC/Amp for my other phones. I didn't think it would do anything for my low impedence phones, and wouldn't do enough for my HD650 when paired with my DAP. I felt I'd use it as a DAC or DAC/Amp and it would hold the door open for mid-impedence phones I might want to buy in the future.

I was right about the HD650 but was quite surprised to find it improved sound across the board on all my lower impedence phones too. Walkgood's summary above offered some answers; it's a good read.

Last edited by EddieE; 01-13-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:36 PM

Maxed out the volume on the sony still really didnt do anything. I did notice that with the equalizer(sony) on the amp actually made things quieter. It also made quiet parts of a song really loud. The parts were there is just one single thing going on like a vocal. It would make it extremely loud. Reason I got the amp is because the RE1 have a very high impedence of 150. Kept reading it needed an amp to really shine. But this amp does nothing. What a waste of 10 bucks. Am I doing something wrong?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:03 AM

Well as you pointed out - it's ten bucks. You aren't going to get a serious amp for the price of a round at the pub. For ten quid a bass boost, volume boost and battery saving device for your dap isn't that bad a deal really.

Keep your eye on the classified at head-fi and see if you can find a more powerful headphone amp for a good price.