android
Old 01-28-2010, 07:39 PM

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize all devices converging...the problem right now is that most devices that have converged are not really that good in any one thing...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize all devices converging...the problem right now is that most devices that have converged are not really that good in any one thing...
Agreed. But i think Xbox Live Integration will rejuvenate interest in Windows Mobile, i don't see anything else attracting the Partners to Winmo over free Open Source Android Platform.

Last year i couldn't even imagine Android as a Gaming platform but this year it is starting to look more exciting.

After watching Bullseye post about 50 Android Games, I'm impressed with Android Platform, Truly Phenomenal.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:38 AM

The annoying thing about all these so called media devices is they all, across the board still have glaring issues or ommissions that stop them being 'the ultimate media device'.

It should be fairly easy to build the spec up to a machine that will do 99% of what we all want out there but they still only keep hitting 80% and leave the rest of us in the forums nagging why this obvious codec or format was ignored.

Sod whether a particular codec might be a bit 'political', or cost an extra $1 a box for licencing. Bung it in, put it on the shelves and watch it become the standard/dominant product for domestic media handling. Though you might want to sack the guy who designed the 360 as it's always looked like a cheap plastic toy and not the centrepiece of a home media centre.

Just needs some balls but I see a distinct lack of those in MS's media wing.

Oh yes and dont withold great FREE features such as BBC iPlayer cos you want to bundle them into the paid for services. That just makes you look really pennypinching. Great I get SKY (which is too expensive and total crap) quelle surprise, but the BBC...Noooooo.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:35 AM

From this article: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61J0Q820100220
(http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61J0Q820100220):

"The most immediate impact this has is to expand the Zune service to countries outside of the United States and Canada, which are the only markets where the Zune is sold. While Microsoft will continue to sell the original Zune player in the States, Pinero says it doesn't plan to expand it to other countries, instead relying on the mobile phone software to bring the Zune service to those markets."

(Jose Pinero is Zune communications director)

So apparently MS is only expanding the Zune marketplace/subscription service internationally for Windows Phone 7 and Xbox, Zune players will continue to be sold in the US only.

The Zune service is here to stay. The long-term future of Zune as a stand-alone PMP device is not clear.

The article mentions that Zune devices make up 2% of the PMP market.
They say that Zune hardware stands out in the PMP market because of the premium media experience it offers, but it's clear that the Zune HD has not gained much traction in the market. MS can't be happy with just 2%.
I don't see that growing much unless the Zune becomes a phoneless WP7 or Microsoft announces that the Zune Phones will be the rumored Pure and Turtle phones (from Danger), and that the Zune would be the phoneless Pure/Turtle.