android
Old 01-10-2010, 05:59 PM

Default Clip+ changing folder names

Transferring media over to the external sdhc card, when I go to browse in folder mode I notice the Clip+ has renamed two of my folders by putting strings of numbers and letters in front of the folder and cutting off some of the proper folder name.

It's always the same two folders and I've tried renaming them, and even deleting them from the clip and dragging and dropping them back over again and while everything appears fine, as soon as the Clip refreshes it's database the files are renamed again.

At first I thought it might be that the folder names were too long, but they are the same folders that I transferred over to my original Clip with no problems (even though you can't browse by folder you can go into the internal memory and see that the correct folder names are being used), so I'm at a loss as to what could be wrong.

Anyone else run into this, or have any ideas on what could be causing the problem?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-10-2010, 06:09 PM

I'm not sure if this applies here, but on the older sansa, they remembered the tags from the 1st time that you put them on, even after you corrected them and put them on again. The trick I did back then was to format, yes it causes you to delete all your files and then I'd put the corrected ones back on, which fixed the issue. I'm not saying this is the case with the "plus" as this case was specifically from my e200 and I haven't had the issue with my regualar clip at all, but it could be worth a try.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think you'll have to provide more info. I just tried, and was unable to reproduce this. Here's what I tried...

1. MSC mode. Copied folder called "New 2009-03" from PC to MUSIC folder on microSDHC card
2. Folder is correctly found and named in Folders
3. Changed Clip+ to MTP mode. Renamed folder on PC to "Mew 2009-03". Copied folder to MEDIA folder on micro SDHC (thats where the "New 2009-03" folder was).
4. Both Folders found and named correctly.

Steve

Old 01-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"so I'm at a loss as to what could be wrong."

Putting files on the card in the player while the player is in mtp mode is not a good idea. If you must use mtp mode for protected content, it is best to put those protected songs in main memory.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
"so I'm at a loss as to what could be wrong."

Putting files on the card in the player while the player is in mtp mode is not a good idea. If you must use mtp mode for protected content, it is best to put those protected songs in main memory.
Changing the player over to MSC mode from auto seemed to fix the problem.

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese1 View Post
Changing the player over to MSC mode from auto seemed to fix the problem.

Thanks for the help!
lol, it's always the obvious and we should have said that, this issue keeps popping up all too often. SanDisk should have left it the way they originally designed it, one way or the other and no auto-select.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:38 PM

Either way that would have cost them a lot of sales. I wouldn't want the unit if it were permanently set to MTP mode as long as there were other choices. I think auto mode might be causing more problems than it solves though.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:28 AM

Auto-Detect works great in Linux. But it sucks on Windows XP if you haven't got SP2 and WMP10+. I spent over an hour downloading WMP10 over a dial up connection before I found that I could change the USB mode in the settings.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61430 View Post
Either way that would have cost them a lot of sales. I wouldn't want the unit if it were permanently set to MTP mode as long as there were other choices. I think auto mode might be causing more problems than it solves though.
I think you misunderstood me, they always had msc or mtp user selectable, they just didn’t have auto-detect. As you know it’s best to pick one and stick with it and if you decide to change just format and change, rather than leaving it in auto-detect.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:49 AM

I found this thread very helpful. Thanks, folks. Another useful bit of info to add here might be the definitions of MTP and MSC as I have no idea. I will look it up and add it here if I can find it...

Old 03-22-2011, 01:51 AM

MSC (Mass Storage Compliant): Protocol which allows your operating system to treat your media player like a standard USB flash drive. You can drag and drop files onto the player without installing any special software. Also look here.
MTP (Media Transfer Protocol): Protocol which allows Windows Media Player, Winamp, MediaMonkey or other similar applications to sync with your player (useful for transferring DRM files to your player). Also look here.
Found this in the newbs glossary

Old 03-22-2011, 02:40 AM

Slaylem we appreciate the effort but we do have a thread for definitions, check out the link "Glossary for Newbies" under my sig. When you find things to add just post into that thread so we can update the glossary, thanks.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:25 AM

Roger that. I don't do this much. I just got my Clip+ recently and it is changing the folder names NOT on the SDHC, but on the internal memory itself. Here's how I achieved this:

I was trying the thing stated previously on this thread about adding music while in MSC mode instead of MTP. That worked and no folders had name changes on the SDHC.
After confirming this, I checked the internal memory. The folder names mostly had the numbers in front!
So I connected it to the PC and the folders weren't even there! My player showed up as:
Sansa Clipp (E: )
SD (F: )

In the E drive there were some .SYS files and some folders. All the folders were empty, no music files.
So then I disconnected and switched back to MTP.
Of course, the folders still showed on the player with the wierd numbers.
I connected to PC, now in MTP, and checked the music folders again through Windows Explorer and all the folders have their correct names.
This is my work laptop and I won't be using it after this week so I won't get into what service pack and what WMP and all now. I will try to experiment more when I get on my home PC and post again. Should I delete my prev post, Walkgood?

Old 03-22-2011, 05:03 AM
Administrator

Files added in one mode can't be seen in the other on Sansas.
To simplify things it's best to remove all the files, select the mode you prefer, then add your files in that mode.

Avoid Autoselect as it can and will change modes without notice. I have had that happen to me and I know I didn't make the change. I also discovered that if you reset the settings or update the firmware it will default back to Autodetect. Be sure to set your preferred mode again after doing either of those to avoid having your files "disappear".

Old 05-02-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
[11:56] <Langly-> when ever I make a new folder on my sansa clip+ and name it, it reverts to "new folder" after I disconnect it
[12:04] <Langly-> I just created a new folder, named it, then dropped a single file in it
[12:04] <Langly-> keeps reverting to being named "new folder"
[12:04] <Langly-> name changes, I disconnect it, name goes back
[12:07] <Langly-> seems to have to do with MTP v MTC mode
[12:07] <Langly-> trying to put on content made by small artist made free online and stuff meant for DRM is fighting me
[12:13] <Langly-> Yup works now
[12:13] <Langly-> MTP was the problem
[12:20] <Langly-> I didnt have any DRM, but MTP was enforcing file names, even of folders it seems after they were created
[12:24] <Langly-> It was on the external card too just for that note
From IRC today, since this thread was one of the top hits for google I figured I'd throw it in here for posterity.