android
Old 01-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Default Clipless Clip+

I hate the clip on the clip(+) but unfortunately it's not removable on the clip+. Not without force, anyways, so I applied some.

The only issue with removing it is that the small ridge that the clip clips against on the player has an opening underneath it (it was probably molded flat then pressed from underneath to create the ridge. When the ridge is removed, you can see into the battery as a about 0.5mm rift is open all the way in. I filled this with hot glue then sanded it. I might paint it when I have the time to let it dry, but I'd rather have a rouch look on the back than a useless clip adding to the thickness.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Interesting that you describe it as a useless clip, when it's a big part of many people's reasons for purchasing it. Of course, maybe the climate where you are means you have to keep it inside your coat....so then the clip would be less useful, I guess.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:57 PM

Even when it's not -25C, I don't use the clip. I've tried, but as far as clips go it's a crappy one xD doesn't stay on reliably. At work I have keys, leatherman, folding knife etc on my belt anyways.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:53 PM

A tip for filling holes in plastic casings:

Pop the shell apart, and put a piece of regular cellophane tape over the hole/slit/whatever you want to fill, on the outside. Next, lay it flat with the hole facing down so gravity can do the work. Mix a batch of common epoxy, JBWeld or whatever you want really, and slowly drip it into the hole you want to fill. When it is full, examine it under strong light - sometimes there might be an air bubble or two you would want to stick a needle into to get rid of.

The best result is from very slow setting (takes several hours) epoxy, as it stays thinner longer so the epoxy flows more into the nooks and crannies, and it tends to set up harder with better grain structure than fast-setting epoxy (all else being equal).

Once the epoxy hardens, pull the tape off and you have a nice flush shiny surface. The epoxy doesn't stick to the tape adhesive, it is as if you put the tape on after the epoxy had hardened and it peels off leaving a perfect surface if you got the epoxy into the corners well.

Mix some dye into one part of the epoxy before mixing with the other part of the epoxy if you want to try and color-match to the player casing color.

Also, if you want to later file or sand the surface, or even paint it, hard-set epoxy is easier to work than something flexible like hot glue... but if you're going to sand or file anyway, there is no need to disassemble the casing and use tape, you can just apply the epoxy from the outside and file it down flush after it sets, but the tricky part is letting it thicken enough that it doesn't run down into the player instead of staying where you put it, but I am thinking in general, I don't remember if there is something behind the top gap to prevent that on Clip/Clip+.

though personally I don't mind the bump on the back from where the clip was, but I did file mine off too for a different reason, so I had a completely flat surface on the rear of the player to glue it permanently to a DIY replacement battery pack casing. Probably should've just used industrial strength velcro instead to attach it, but I didn't have any, didn't feel like buying any, and didn't expect I'd ever want to separate the two parts once I had the wires soldered between them both.

Last edited by J_C; 01-19-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I use the clip when I run.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 AM

@ J_C although I believe your idea is best, the cpt and I discussed it on irc before this thread was up and he didn't want to go that route. I believe you must do it after the case is removed from the player, as IMHO resin runs too much, even if you let it jell some before the pour. If it jelled too much, it wouldn't settle in nice and my other thought is if sanded while the case is on the player, the likelihood of dust getting in and damaging something is high. I like the adding pigment idea you have, I've worked with it fixing boats and surfboards many times, nice touch and I think it would come out much better that way. I also agree with the cpt if you don't use the clip and/or want to add an amp, it's best to remove it.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-21-2010, 02:42 AM

You can reduce seepage from thin epoxy by stuffing a filler down into the hole before applying it.

If the hole is completely sealed, there shouldn't be much if any sanding dust getting inside, although the main problem from the dust is either fouling the contacts (on clip+/microSD slot) or cosmetic in ending up between the screen and cover.

I had that issue myself, the first time I took mine apart I wasn't paying attention and left a small sliver of plastic on top of the screen. It didn't interfere with use, but I did remember to clean that off before the next reassembly.

I have discovered a different problem with mine now, the down button on the dial doesn't work, instead triggering the right button when I press it. I am a bit apathetic about that, you can navigate the menus without it so the primary issue there is no graphic-eq to watch (which I never did), and no way to reduce any levels on the custom EQ settings (but once I found the EQ levels I liked, I never changed it since then).

One thing I noticed though, how nice it is to have been using it for hours with the battery meter not even budging from fully charged with the battery mod I did. I do think Sandisk should have put a bigger battery in it, though I often feel that way about devices with built-in batteries. I think I will go with a Fuze next time due to this, even though I have no pressing desire to watch videos on such a tiny screen.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:49 AM

The reason I didn't use epoxy is that the clip+ is as much a tool to me as my flashlight and I don't care what it looks like as long as it works. It's a $40 device that sits in my pocket and plays my audiobooks and if it has a small piece of hot glue on the back or a better looking piece of epoxy doesn't interest me in the slightest. That's the beaty of the clip, its so cheao you can rape it as much as you want to make it do a practical not cosmetically appealing job

Old 01-21-2010, 10:49 AM

my clip broke on the first day after purchase. so, now I have a clipless clip+ really crappy plasctics

Old 01-22-2010, 05:43 AM

Well there was another reason, I don't use hot glue on any product casings because of habit, those that get hot can melt the glue or at least make it flimsy but apparently it is not an issue on the Clip/+.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:39 AM

Lol yeah the clip+ doesnt get hot at all, any time. At least mine havent, while charging or otherwise. Most hot glu ealso have a much higher melting temperature than that

Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Paint it!! Paint it!!!

Old 01-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

i hate the clip too, its make sansa bigger/thicker

Old 02-06-2010, 11:18 AM

great (non)clip in hardcore modded

Old 02-07-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naglis View Post
my clip broke on the first day after purchase. so, now I have a clipless clip+ really crappy plasctics
I've been using a Clip - and the clip - daily for over a year. Mine is solid as a rock.

I like it for running, walking, biking. I clip it to the lampshade next to my bed at night so I can find it next morning. I clip it to the sun visor when I'm driving to keep it out of the way. I just bought a Zen Mozaic and am trying to figure out a hack to add a clip to it.

Guess it depends on how you use it.

Last edited by c.coyle; 02-07-2010 at 09:54 AM.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:56 PM

wow, i did not kno you can not remove the clip on the clip+ (i have the original clip)

Old 02-18-2010, 09:34 AM

just got my clip+ today and i want to remove the clip on the back too as i don't need it and it makes the player just bigger.

i'm planning to break off the clip, filling the holes with glue, sanding it and paint it afterwards. in order to prevent having dust inside the player i'd like to take the player apart and just work with the plastic cassis. do you have any tips on how to open the player without breaking anything? i'll post some pics here if can finish this mod.

edit:
just found this http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...isassembly.php. i'll try to take it apart now..

Last edited by hurundi; 02-18-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:42 AM

jeah just finished the job and im quite happy with the result. i tried to open the player but all my attemps witch selfmade tools (sharpend credit card/strong plastic foil) failed. with a litte force i was able to break off the clip by twisting it to the left side. then i just cut off the plastic remains with a box cutter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sansaclip1.jpg (53.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg sansaclip2.jpg (37.4 KB, 93 views)

Old 02-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Actually, not too shabby!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Actually, not too shabby!
thx. i could have prevented the small scratches from the blade by putting tape on each side of the blade leaving ~1cm free to cut with. unfortunately i came up with this idea after the cutting when it was too late anyway i don't care too much about how the backside of my player looks and this bulky clip just had to go.