android
Old 01-10-2010, 01:37 AM

Default Samsung P3 + Sennheiser Phones?

Hey all, I'm about to purchase a Samsung P3 and some sennheiser headphones, venturing from my old Creative Zen with JVC marshmellows. Would buying a FiiO E5 amp give an increase in sound quality with either the HD201 or HD555 headphones? I don't really understand what amps accomplish, other than boost volume and bass. I listen to mostly rock, and I do like my drums to give a good thump while I'm listening. Would an amp be beneficial for one or both of those headphones?

I feel so dumb asking these newbie questions...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffes Rule View Post
Would buying a FiiO E5 amp give an increase in sound quality with either the HD201 or HD555 headphones?
No, it would make the sound quality worse, other than that it would only give a volume boost. I think the HD201/555 might be loud enough on their own with the P3.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Fiio E5 wont give you a better treble extension, maybe u need increase budget for other amp

Old 01-11-2010, 11:27 PM

Ok then. I've been reading that the 201's are supposed to be harder to drive than their specs say, and that they need an amp to get good volume, and then other people saying that they're fine as is. I guess if I find I need some extra oomph when I get them and actually listen I can look around.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffes Rule View Post
Ok then. I've been reading that the 201's are supposed to be harder to drive than their specs say, and that they need an amp to get good volume, and then other people saying that they're fine as is. I guess if I find I need some extra oomph when I get them and actually listen I can look around.
Ah, so you don't have the 201's yet? They do need more power than the specs suggest. If you don't have them already, don't get them.....you can do better for not much more money.

The P3 can put out great sound....don't shackle it with 201's.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:11 PM

Well what would be better?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:48 PM

Dfkt, IMO I find that the P3 can be a little too quiet even with sound isolating IEMs, but if you put street mode at 1, it changes the output so I can better listen to the soundscapes...I listen to Classical, Blues, Country Rock, Classic Rock and Alternitive Rock...I live in noisy environments and I have slight hearing damage in my right ear due to loud, bass ridden, Hip-Pop/Rap music played through 500 Watt Speakers (125 Watts x4, sucks to be a high-school teen), so I can't hear certain bass level frequencies...IMO I think the P3 needs an amp...
Have: Altec Lansing ACS90 Computer Speakers