android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 01-09-2010, 11:47 AM

Dave,
Hate to sound like a broken record, but the fact this thing does not have an email app yet is really bad.

Personally, I couldn't care less about a facebook app, the mobile facebook seems to work fine. However, I seem to be in the minority here so please get the FB app out so people will stop talking about how it's not out yet.

My wife and son both have iTouch and most of the apps in the iTunes App Store are just crap and a bunch of who cares. iFart is fun for about 5 minutes then who cares?

But real utility apps are useful, a calendar that one could synch with an outlook calendar would be way cool.

Jeff

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-09-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
Dave,
Hate to sound like a broken record, but the fact this thing does not have an email app yet is really bad.

Personally, I couldn't care less about a facebook app, the mobile facebook seems to work fine. However, I seem to be in the minority here so please get the FB app out so people will stop talking about how it's not out yet.

My wife and son both have iTouch and most of the apps in the iTunes App Store are just crap and a bunch of who cares. iFart is fun for about 5 minutes then who cares?

But real utility apps are useful, a calendar that one could synch with an outlook calendar would be way cool.

Jeff
Without a 3G chip inside for a phone, I'm not so sure if many "apps" are that useful...games perhaps but apps like a calendar and email...I'm not so sure...if I'm home I'm going to type an email on a laptop, not on even on a smartphone with a physical keyboard...
I guess if you are somewhere where you have wifi a lot during your day, I can see this being useful but otherwise I'm not so sure...

LIP

Old 01-09-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
Dave,

Jeff
I can't argue with the wanting for a calendar/e-mail, but I need a Facebook app due to the fact that my school's wi-fi blocks the front end of the Facebook website, but it doesn't block the iPhone's Facebook app (yet).

Old 01-09-2010, 02:04 PM

I personally don't care too much about apps that require internet, since the device doesn't have 3G. If we could tether, that'd be a different story.

So if I had to give my input on this subject, I would say that since this device is so focused on media, I'm really surprised it doesn't have a youtube app yet. I would think this would take priority over anything else I've heard anyone say, since it's so popular.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:30 PM

@weedalin

Not to get off topic, but just wanted to let you know that if your on a laptop at your school, Hotspot Sheild will get past many school blocks, and will let you view any web page. Facebook, myspace, youtube, etc.
Just google it and download the latest version. Its very helpful. Works like a charm for me.

Hope it works for you!

Add Me on Zune Social! my name is: mq1991

Old 01-09-2010, 06:41 PM

There is also a great program called freegate... It used to work for all school privacy restrictions including those annoying programs that allow the teach to see your screen... I'm not sure if it still works, but its worth a try...

Old 01-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Zune Moderator

Back on topic guys... If you want to discuss this please make a new topic.

CW

Old 01-09-2010, 09:28 PM

Sorry about that Cruleworld...

I agree with Joshnor, you would think that since Microsoft is all about the media, theyd have YouTube covered. But, hopefully they already are working on it. You never know whats in store, we can only hope for whats to come.

A multi account Instant messaging app would also be very helpful. Especially if they tied texting into that.

Add Me on Zune Social! my name is: mq1991

Old 01-09-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mq1991 View Post
I agree with Joshnor, you would think that since Microsoft is all about the media, theyd have YouTube covered.
Which is exactly why we need apps like Pandora and Grooveshark.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:20 PM

Grooveshark?

Old 01-09-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mq1991 View Post
@weedalin

Not to get off topic, but just wanted to let you know that if your on a laptop at your school, Hotspot Sheild will get past many school blocks, and will let you view any web page. Facebook, myspace, youtube, etc.
Just google it and download the latest version. Its very helpful. Works like a charm for me.

Hope it works for you!
Don't have a laptop, but I know some people who will be grateful to know this.
Thanks!
bla, add last.fm to that list too.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahcheese View Post
Grooveshark?
Free on-demand music streaming and internet radio service...try it for yourself - listen.grooveshark.com

Old 01-09-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
Without a 3G chip inside for a phone, I'm not so sure if many "apps" are that useful...games perhaps but apps like a calendar and email...I'm not so sure...if I'm home I'm going to type an email on a laptop, not on even on a smartphone with a physical keyboard...
I guess if you are somewhere where you have wifi a lot during your day, I can see this being useful but otherwise I'm not so sure...

LIP
I travel quite a bit and most hotels have wifi and it's not too difficult to find a coffee shop or other places with wifi hotspots. It would be nice to carry my ZuneHD and not have to bring along a laptop too. Email and calendar would be very good apps for the way I use the Zune. One of the best music and media players on the market with some basic productivity apps would be just about perfect.

Jeff

Old 01-10-2010, 06:35 PM

Pardon my stupidity, but could the added support of divX be the main part of a new device update? If so, we have much more to be excited about!

Old 01-10-2010, 06:58 PM

Yeah I'm hoping that there is more to this firmware update, although I'm very excited about xvid support. To be honest, a huge reason that I've not used the video capability of the Zune HD is because I have to continually convert my videos. Now I'll be able to use this aspect of it a lot more. Oh and I hope some apps besides Facebook come out at the same time. w00t!

Old 01-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

why not RMVB??

Old 01-11-2010, 05:03 AM

Something that would completely sell me on the Zune would be FLAC support.

I know it's essentially useless on a portable, but it would really be nice to be able to just have one copy of an album on my PC, not FLAC/MP3 copies.

It's open source, so I'm not sure it would be much harder to implement than XviD.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 AM

i think it does need an email app. because at the moment on the browser you cant see pics or whatever else has been attatched. if they can fix that on the browser well all's good but until then..an app would be very appreciated. and IM would be so cool! and like Mq1991 said....if they can tie texting into that...that would be so sweet!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:00 PM

This makes me so happy, you have no idea. I'm still sticking with the old 30 GB brick, but if a 64 GB HD comes out in the next year or so, I will definitely be all over it. Xvid and the lack of audio codecs are the only issues I've come across with the Zune in the three years or so that I've owned it.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouss View Post
why not RMVB??
Hardly anyone uses the Real Media format,.... XviD is more universal.

Now, 64gb of XviD capacity goodness would be nice indeed (if they up
the capacity - but that's just me speculating).