android
Old 02-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You're probably the first person ever to find Grados comfortable...

They're fully open headphones and not very useful on the go, since they let all noise in (and out). Very likely one damages their hearing if open phones are turned up too loud in noisy environments. Not to mention Grados are hard to drive and need a portable amp to sound their best.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
They're fully open headphones and not very useful on the go, since they let all noise in (and out). Very likely one damages their hearing if open phones are turned up too loud in noisy environments. Not to mention Grados are hard to drive and need a portable amp to sound their best.
Not all of them. Perhaps the higher-end models, but the Clip+ drives mine to a good listening level in a semi-quiet room at around 50% volume, with the Normal EQ setting. My Q2 has the power to drive them to truly frightening volumes, with dynamics to match.

I can see where a bass lover like you might think that about a required amp....and with the higher-end models, that I haven't had the chance to try, it may well be the case.

You're quite right about using them on the go and cranking the volume to cover outside noise...there is no isolation. And they will play louder than I can handle without distorting.....they are truly what some would call "earspeakers".

Old 02-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't know about your SR60i (maybe "i" for improved, easier to drive?), but the 125 I once tried definitely sounded better with an amp than out of the (rather powerful) X5 I tested them with, years ago. Same goes for many AKG phones with deceptively low specs. My old K141S were 50 Ohm, but definitely sounded much better with an amp than with any MP3 player. Anyways, that's silly since neither of these phones makes much sense in a portable setup.

This is meant as unbiased advice/observation - even though I despise Grado phones sound and comfort more than any other manufacturer's products, as you already know...

Old 02-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
This is meant as unbiased advice/observation - even though I despise Grado phones sound and comfort more than any other manufacturer's products, as you already know...
Interesting point, as I just plugged them into the headphone jack on my tower for the first time in a while....and there is quite a difference.

I would like to find out, and I haven't been able to so far, just how much juice the headphone amp in my computer pumps out....because it does seem to power the 60i's and give them a more ballsy sound sig than, say, a DAP with no eq/enhancements enabled. My Q2 example in the prior post did involve the "My DSNe 3.0 Bass" feature....whereas my tower's headphone jack, I have no EQ or effects of any kind in play, and in a way, they sound kind of un-Grado-like out of this jack.

All I've been able to find out so far is that there are six of these mystery headphone amps, although in my case only one applies. I tried to find out on the Realtek site, but couldn't seem to find this one bit of info....it's not in my motherboard's pdf manual either. A mystery, it seems....

But, to attempt to go back on topic for the thread, I think most closed 'phones suck, so I echo the recommendation of the Senn. PX100's for portable use. Of course, I like to be able to hear the cars coming....

Old 02-12-2010, 04:40 AM

Yeah I think Grado might actually be greasing the impedence rating a bit to make their phones appear perfect for discman/DAP use. There is no doubting they improve with an amp, including the SR80 I got my brother for his birthday, so yeah, lower versions too.

DFKT, what pad options have you tried with Grados? They sound very different with different pads, maybe you'd like them with some configuration.

They are comfortable as anything else with Comfies, less so with Bowls, Flats, Reverse bowls.

I recently got some Headphile C-Pads for my SR125i so they are circum-aural now and I've never worn more comfortable headphones, so there are certainly solutions for that issue.

Last edited by EddieE; 02-12-2010 at 04:48 AM.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Those pads look like the ones from Beyerdymanic's DT series, that indeed looks a lot more comfy.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:28 AM

Yeah that's what they are, seriously comfy headphone pads, and the hosuing for the pads have extra holes in (for acoustic reasons) that keep your ears very cool compared to some other cans.

In terms of SQ they make the mids a little more distant than the usual Grado sound, but the treble smoother and the bass a bit fuller.The whole sound is a lot more open and spacy. I've found them to be incredibly pleasing with BBE M3B setting on the S9.

I really like them on the whole, and still have the MS2i for a refined version of the classic Grado sound that I love (and I know you hate )

Old 02-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

<off-topic><troll>

I wonder why Grado fans are so vocal about their phones... maybe deep down inside they know their phones are no good and they need a reason to justify their purchase.

I've never felt the need to praise my Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Ultrasone in similar ways as Grado owners so often do.

</troll></off-topic>

Old 02-12-2010, 08:40 AM

LOL

Well if someone tells you something you think is great is awful, naturally you're going to express disagreement aren't you?

If someone said that your UE11 were garbage, you might have a thing or two to say

I don't feel any need to justify my Sennheisers or Audio Technicas or Phonaks because everyone agrees they are good - what would be the point?

If deep down I knew my Grados weren't good, I wouldn't have bought a second pair would I?

[/off topic troll end]

Old 02-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Heh, well countered.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:02 PM

i'm in the market to get some new IEM's... i really don't like heavy over the head phones with the S9 anymore. i am not going to spend $300+ right now, so below this pricepoint, is there consensus on the best IEM's? I've heard decent things about the Klipsch S4's and Ultimate Ears (most models). not really thrilled by Sennheisers but willing to give them another shot if they have something new and decent.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:22 PM

PS, I listen mainly to electronic music - techno, electro, IDM, and dub mostly - so bass response is very important to me. however, i prefer balance and clarity over "frequency robbing" to artificially boost the low end, so i'd rather go with IEM's that were made with that preference in mind, too.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:42 PM

I've recently acquired some sony tips to go on my cx250. And personally, I'd say that you don't want the 'bass' IEMs if you have tips that fit you properly. It's fortunate that the S9 lets you mess around with the EQ so much, because they senn's are feeling just a little too bass heavy. Look for a more balanced set of earphones, even if it is for electro, unless you really want the thumping bass in your ear.
</my $0.02>