android
Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 PM

Lightbulb Headphone recommendations for S9

Hi there!

I'm about to recieve one of the 16 GB Titanium S9's, and I'm planning to get a new headphone too.

Right now, I'm using a Sennheiser HD 435, which I'm kinda satisfied. But when it comes to street use, the open-back construction just annoys me. So I decided to get a decent closed-back headphones.

My current probable winner is the HD 280Pro, since I have only $150 to spend on this matter.

Is there anybody using a S9 with an HD 280Pro? What are your experiences with this coupling? What are your general thoughts on this matter?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-07-2010, 11:15 PM

Well i dont know if this is what your looking for, but i use the Monster turbines, in ear IEMS, they are noise isolating and when i stick them in all i hear is the AMAZING sound quality of the pair witht he S9. The turbines are truley a great pair of phones. The bass is incredible mids are strong and treble is strong. My only problem was finding a good fit, but they give you like 6 different tips to try from so its not a large problem.

If you want the over the ear or on ear type of phone, i have heard that the Beats by Dre (also monster) are good. I have had no experice with them, so if you are interested i would say go to your local store if you can find them and try

Any other questions, jsut ask!

Old 01-08-2010, 05:14 AM

I own Shure SE 530 and Ultimate Ears 5 pro, they both sound great.. but they're both 200+ and in-ear ones... I totally don't recommend the Dr Dre Beats nor the Gaga's nor anything associated with a singer's name , I'd just get any on-ear Bose instead.. and I think you might find a good Bose within your budget.. just don't get the in-ear Bose, I always feel they're gonna fall.. and they don't sound that good.. cheers

Old 01-08-2010, 05:58 AM

The hd 280pro will be great value for your money, specially at $94 @ amazon. But it will take some getting use to from the hd 435's. I also switched from the same exact pair. I like the portability too.

If you like over-hyped and over price then get the monsters or bose. But if you like bang for the buck then stick with brands like sein or akg.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:38 AM

Thanks for all the fish, keep them advices coming!

[qoute]But it will take some getting use to from the hd 435's. I also switched from the same exact pair.[/quote]

Could you be a little more specific on this? What was different, and how? Did you regret the change?

Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 AM

ATH-M50 are another one to consider.

Superb closed back cans with excellent isolation and comfort. Very accurate in the mids and highs with a slightly increased from neautral bass that gives them a really fun musical sound signature.

Work well with pretty much every music type, have a single coiled cord and are very efficient so powered by the S9 standalone without the need for amping at all (although do like being amped too if you want to).

Old 01-08-2010, 09:32 AM

Yeah, I heard about them too, but the ATH-M50s are way over my budget

Old 01-08-2010, 06:26 PM

I'm using a pair of Senn PX100's. Amazing sound when you tweak the EQ/sub-bass!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 AM

serious the best price/performance closed cans imo are the Ultrasonne Pro 750 normal price is 300+ but you can get them for around 200+ (the price flucuates) by the seller the-deal-spot. They are good and I even got them to replace my first pair out of the exchange period because one of the cables was laid wrong and got pinched. But any sound wise they kick the ass out of my polf monitor 50's and my Shure e4c's and for the same price range you can't go wrong.

easy as hell to drive sound has to become unconfortable loud b4 they ask for more power at normal volumes no diff between player and amped. they're like 40ohms. But with an amp you can get the bass to be so much that they'll vibrate off you head and give your ears a nice breeze.

Last edited by Kuro; 01-10-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: forgot to mention

Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 AM

Personally, I find the HFI-780 to sound better than the PRO-750, and they're cheaper too.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:55 AM

I own a pair of Etymotic Research Er6i and Ultimate Ears Metrofi 220. Both sound amazing with my s9 if you can find the right eq. There is a forum post somewhere on hear with i think 5 or 6 different kinds of great eqs. Also both of those headphones are under 100$. And also with whatever in ear headphones you decide to get i strongly recommend going to this website and getting a pair of these foam tips. They are absolutely incredible. Great seal and you can wear them for hours with no discomfort.

http://www.complyfoam.com/foam-replacement-tips/

Kikhu you should also try these out. I think they will solve your problem. Medium size fits most.

Hope this helps

Old 01-13-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozzy View Post
I just saw them on sale on Amazon for $56.08 with free shipping! Considering these now instead of more portable ones.

EDIT: Sorry!! It's the ATHM40FS that are on sale. Maybe an affordable alternative?

Last edited by ivocado; 01-13-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:21 PM

I already bought an HD280 Pro, and I must say, they're awesome! Some people complain about comfort, but it's just comfy, and stable.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:02 PM

outside of Grado, I think Ultrasone make the best over-the-ear cans on the market. there are some brands/models that are slightly better than their Ultrasone equivalents (Sennheiser HD650's come to mind), but for the price, Ultrasone is really where its at.

Agreed that the HFI series is more versatile especially outdoors or for recording than the PRO line. Those 780's are indeed great. I used the previous model (I think 750) for some time and was so impressed by their ability to handle classical music, metal, techno, ambient, and natural sound (for location recording). I use the PRO 550's in my studio because i love those detachable ear pads (one of the best headphone ideas ever) and they are slightly more detailed sounding which make them better for critical music production and listening. A little bulky for every day use though, especially walking around town.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:50 AM

well i bought Q-jays for my S9, they sound fantastic i find that with the S9 you can tweak them to however you want as they are rather neutral in sound (maybe a little to the treble end).

and since owning them my cheapish sony's broke that i use when gaming or when im taking my S9 to a place where the headphones could break or get lost so i bought D-Jays to replace them and they also sound fantastic (but not as clear as the Q-jays

so basically i love jays :P, ive owned sens, sony and shure before (never the ultra high end tho) and out of all of them i prefer the jays

Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 PM

Look around you may still find the UE TF 10 for around that price I do not think you will find better for that price. I just ordered the Senn IE8's...can't wait for them to get here.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:52 PM

IEMs, don't bother with anything else. Most popular brands are Westone, etyomics, Shure, Ultimate ears, and monster. They're are many more too.

Once you realize how much isolation there is for IEMs you'll never go back. I know I can't.
I just got my S9 32GB, I am looking at the Westone 2's, I got to try the westone 1's and they are by far the most comfortable in-ears. IMO, they even revel Sennheiser velvet ear cups.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:05 AM

If you're not into spending large amounts of money and like to run lots the SoundMagic PL50's are a good pair for the S9. They use the 90-degree headphone jack which prevents a lot of damage that can be done to the jack.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozzy View Post
Im assuming I might be too late on this but I just bought the ATH M50 from proaudiomart on Ebay. They are an authorized dealer and you can check them on the ATH website. They sell them right now for $104.95 buy it now but I made an offer of $90 and they accepted it. Free shipping in the lower 48. Mine are on the way

EDIT: I see you are in Hungary so not sure how that would work out. Sorry bout that. They ship international for actual ship costs + duties and fees.

Last edited by pseudohippy; 01-20-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Saw your location

Old 02-11-2010, 07:46 AM

I have been using Grado SR125's with the S9 for the past year.
They are absolutely wonderfull. Sound stunning. Natural sounding open-ear headphones. Also very comfortable and act like earmuffs to keep your ears warm in the cold. Tried them against others in a HI-FI shop, they blew the competition away. You will have to change the 1/4" jack for a 3.5 mm jack though, or get an adaptor. Trust me, it's worth it.