android
Old 01-06-2010, 07:40 AM

Default Cowon S9 vs Sweat

Hi. I'd like to start off by saying that I've perused through this site time and again and more often than not, found the answer to whatever question I'd had. However, something I've come across recently doesn't seem to be discussed many places and even if it has been, it's out of my reach. So, I decided to register and just ask myself.

The only problem is, I'm not sure if the question belongs here because it's more maintenance-side than accessories. Anyway, here's my problem. I got my S9 a couple weeks back and everything seems to be working out well enough. My previous MP3 was a PSP, which I realize isn't really an MP3 but it did what I needed for the most part. A while back, it's SD card slot broke and it became difficult to use so I decided to upgrade to the S9.

The main thing I used the PSP and intend to use the S9 for is the gym. The only problem is that I keep the MP3 in my pants pocket and while there, the PSP got sweaty enough (but never became faulty due to the sweat). So here's what I'm wondering... is there a lot of danger for the S9 from being in my pocket like that? I know the manual recommends against water. Does anyone else use it in the gym? And if so, do you use some kind of cover/case or is it just fine on it's own?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-06-2010, 03:27 PM

I don't have my cowon yet so don't quote me on this or anything. And yes without any actual knowledge I'm posting anyways!!

I'm guessing a machine like that should be able to withstand a few sweatdrops. So I'm not sure how badly you sweat (does it rain below your pants?) but most machines can survive a few drups.

If you want to play it safe though you might want to consider one of those protective cases. They're normally not used to protect against sweat obviously (I think...) but it should help enough.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:28 AM

For this reason & to get rid of wires while in Gym, I'm looking to get a bluetooth headset so I can keep the S9 on the ground below bench or in the cup holder on the mill & still enjoy hassle free music!!

Though I'd be interested in what others say on the sweat issue.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:43 PM

I think i`m right in saying that Amoled screens are susceptable to damage from moisture,anyone else expand on this ?

Old 01-10-2010, 04:28 PM

get an invisible shield (full body coverage) for your cowon s9. They're avaiable from http://www.zagg.com or you can check the local availability to see if there's a mall cart near you. They usually carry all of the invisible shield. Oh, and just so you know, I've used invisible shields on my digital cameras, mp3 players, mobile phones an am even going to buy one for my ps3. They are the best, hands down!!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 PM

I'm surprised more people don't come across something like this. When I posted this originally, I wasn't looking for things I can buy/do to avoid malfunction (though, I'll say that those were decent suggestions). What I was hoping for was maybe one or two people letting me know if they've used the device in such a manner and how that turned out.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this thread here. It might've done better on the main S9 forum rather than the accessories section. Actually, speaking of, if a mod sees this, would you mind moving this to some place more appropriate?

Old 01-13-2010, 12:12 AM

i think it would be very unsafe to carry it in your pocked with the headphones plugged in. I have a military style cell phone case that I use. I put the head jack at the bottom of the case and use an "L" adapter with a volume control on it. I then make a couple of loops in the cord and hang the loops with the velcro strap which is very strong. The case is somewhat universal as it is able to adjust in many ways and is made of more or less ballistic nylon. The Velcro flaps and loops are very secure. The case is actually black and intended for police officers' gear.

Tags
cowon s9, gym, sweat