android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon S9

Old 01-13-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nena View Post
Wait.. you don't see how leaving an electrical device playing for no reason 24/7 would be harmful to the environment? That is a thinker... lol
By all means, explain to me the environmental destruction I caused with my Zen running for months off a 5V adapter which consumes 0.32 amps at 110V.

Quote:
I very much doubt turning it on and off 7 times a day will wear out the buttons. Leaving it plugged in and playing 24/7 may however have a detrimental effect on the battery itself if the device heats up.
My Zen is still going strong after four years. It has been running continuously for at least two of those four years powered by the 5V adapter. We've already heard about the buttons failing on Cowon's flagship S9. I would bet a mechanical component would fail long before the battery. Of course with the S9 I must use the battery so I have no choice but find out I guess.

Quote:
Are you using headphones? Do you take those off every time you stop listening? Adding a quick press of the pause button at that point would become second nature after a while.
Yes, if you are willing to reprogram your mind around the S9's flaws they can all become second nature. In my job I have people stopping by, asking questions which are sometimes urgent. Sometimes they're quick questions and I don't feel the need to pause the S9 only to restart it ten seconds later. Other times they lead to complicated discussions that quickly end up in other offices or meeting rooms.

The last thing on my mind during the day is whether I left my S9 running down its battery. I never had to worry about my Zen killing itself. I've always come back to my office to see it running like I never left.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-14-2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
That's not the problem. The problem is that unless you have the screen on all the time, an S9 that is draining the battery looks exactly like an S9 that's not draining the battery. And since you must drain the battery to listen to music with the S9, that is an issue.
Turn it off when you're not using it. I'm sorry but no one else here seems to understand your desire to waste electricity and burn down the fossil fuel reserves of the planet by leaving your electrical devices on when you aren't using them. Even if you don't care about the environmental impact of such wastefulness you should have a mind on your electricity bill.

The S9 has an auto-resume (if you use CLAW UI) so when you turn it on it'll replay automatically from the point you left it on. Why on earth would you want to leave it on????

Besides this the S9 has an incredibly long battery life. I had a Creative Zen (I sent back three units because they continually crashed and then gave up on it, was delighted when I got a Cowon D2 as a replacement and I realised how poor the SQ of the Zen was in comparrison) and it needed charging every day anyway. I have fallen asleep with the S9 on before and it still had enough power to be used for the next days commutes.

Quote:
With the amount of running around I do all day at work, I would be starting and stopping the S9 at least seven times every day. I doubt the buttons would last a year if I turned it on and off all day.
Why do you doubt that? I turn mine off and on several times a day and the buttons are fine, as you'd expect.

Quote:
And I never requested that it turn itself off automatically, only that it give some visual indication that it's draining the battery.
If it's on, it's draining the battery, if it's off it's not. Not brain surgery.

You still have your Zen, return or sell the S9 and be happy mate.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebal View Post
If you want faster startup, turn it from power off mode to sleep mode on the setting menu
I did that before I left yesterday. I have a dead S9 this morning.

Other than that sleep mode does exactly what I want.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:06 AM

The morning?
I've been using mine on sleep since last week (just because I wanted to see how much time I'd save). I spent maybe 40mins putting music and videos on it on monday night, and thats the only charge it has had since last week. Listened to at least 10 hours of audio since then, and watched QI, and its on half bars. Something wrong with your player if its losing that much battery.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
Turn it off when you're not using it. I'm sorry but no one else here seems to understand your desire to waste electricity and burn down the fossil fuel reserves of the planet by leaving your electrical devices on when you aren't using them. Even if you don't care about the environmental impact of such wastefulness you should have a mind on your electricity bill.
OK, so you don't know the environmental impact of .34 amps at 110V. It's very very very small.

Here are some other facts about the environment. Charging a battery is a wasteful process. 33%-50% of the energy is wasted mostly turning into heat. Running a device directly from house current is 100% efficient. That means your S9 must use more electricity than my Zen to play music when its plugged into the 5V adapter.

Batteries also don't last forever so a device like the S9 which has its battery permanently soldered in will become useless eventually and will end up in a landfill along with the toxins used to make it. Dead batteries can be recycled. MP3 players can't.

They couldn't have designed the S9 to be less environmentally friendly.

Quote:
The S9 has an auto-resume (if you use CLAW UI) so when you turn it on it'll replay automatically from the point you left it on. Why on earth would you want to leave it on????
I already explained what happens in my job. Leaving it on is more convenient than stopping and starting it several times a day. Do we not own MP3 players for convenience?

Quote:
Besides this the S9 has an incredibly long battery life.
Do you know what has longer life? The electricity coming out of the electrical sockets. I wish my S9 could use it right now because the battery is dead.

Quote:
I had a Creative Zen (I sent back three units because they continually crashed and then gave up on it, was delighted when I got a Cowon D2 as a replacement and I realised how poor the SQ of the Zen was in comparrison) and it needed charging every day anyway. I have fallen asleep with the S9 on before and it still had enough power to be used for the next days commutes.
That's all true. The Zen has buggy firmware that Creative never bothered to fix. The screens failed in horrific numbers. The batteries don't last as long. The S9 has better sound and better codec support. But even with all these drawbacks, the Zen has more convenient features and is easier to use.

Quote:
Why do you doubt that? I turn mine off and on several times a day and the buttons are fine, as you'd expect.
Because there has already been one post asking about how to use an S9 with broken buttons (Claw lets you do this).

Quote:
You still have your Zen, return or sell the S9 and be happy mate.
I'm planning on using the S9 until the battery stops holding a charge which should be in a couple of years. Then I'll throw it into the garbage where it can release its toxins into the environment, then I'll find something better or go back to my Zen which will still be running strong.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebal View Post
The morning?
Yes, I made sure to leave it turned off in sleep mode before I left yesterday. The battery was at 15% which is about another eight hours of life for me. Now it won't turn on.

Quote:
I've been using mine on sleep since last week (just because I wanted to see how much time I'd save). I spent maybe 40mins putting music and videos on it on monday night, and thats the only charge it has had since last week.
My S9 will usually charge up in less than an hour and that will last a week (40 hours of use). This is with the screen turned on all the time and brightness set to 1.

Quote:
Listened to at least 10 hours of audio since then, and watched QI, and its on half bars. Something wrong with your player if its losing that much battery.
I think the battery is getting old.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:06 AM

Okay, so after much thought, research and convincing my family and friends I bought the Cowon s9 32GB! ^-^ Wow. I just ordered and paid for it so it should be here in the next few days. Wow.

Yes, I got the 32GB just to be safe, have lots of room and not worry about filling it up. Any thoughts or comments while I anxiously wait for it to arrive? I'm so excited and happy. Thankyou all, and ABI forums for you were a major prod in getting it. I just hope it's worth it.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:13 AM

Congrats, you'll love the S9, and a 32GB version to boot .

I easily get many days of battery life out of my S9, one of the main things I love about it.

Even while watching videos you get long life, good ol' low power AMOLED screens .

Stop the loudness war - Turn Me Up!

Old 01-25-2010, 01:01 PM

you'll love it!
But remember to get claws main menu and music UI, or the darkevolution/aero G2 set. They both add so much more to the player. I'm an especially big fan of dark evolution, and really advise you to check it out

Old 01-25-2010, 11:11 PM

I second gebal recommendations, I actually have both on my S9. Claw's on menu1 and menu2. Then AUG2/DE on menu3.

Also try out the klausebrowser. The scolls more naturally. If you gesture with a hard flick, it scrolls faster. Stops on a dime, too. You can actually browse while you're navigating through your menu selections. There is also an option to browse in landscape, so it work well with dark evolution. Nothing wrong with Claw's search though, it's probably faster, but, a gestured flick is way more natural. I think I got used to it with my Logitech VX scroll wheel. It act similarly.

Just something else. Firmware 2.51 was just posted. So, that's probably worth a download. See the firmware page for details and a link.