android
Old 01-03-2010, 02:49 AM

Default cowon d2+ vs creative zen x-fi2

I am looking for a new mp3 player. As per feature set i have narrowed my search to these two. The main features i am looking for
- 30gb+ storage
- good sound quality
- video playback with tv out
- durable(must survive falls!!)
- portable
zen x-fi2 has 32gb model,so i can live without the microSD card and hence no complains about library integration. It's video support is also more comprehensive, specially the ability to play 640x480 videos. Although a lot many have complained about the touchscreen even after the firmware upgrade. I need responsiveness.
Now i have heard a lot of good things about the d2+. I liked the interface. Looks would do for me. But i ain't no audiophile so i would perhaps be upgrading to max klipsch image s4. would i notice any huge difference between the two? d2+ has a 16 million color screen against zen's 262k. how much difference would it make on screen of this size?
I have a sony hd based player right now and i love the sq, in terms of the warmth,clarity. i dont need ear cracking volume. Also my music collection has vast genre of songs, so i would like to know which player sounds better through out(specially acoustics).
any other suggestion would be well appreciated as well!!

Last edited by prank_abi; 01-03-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Redneck Moderator

Out of those two I'd go with the Cowon. IMO the creatives don't have as good of sound enhancements, and in the portable audio world that is translated into sound quality.

But in all honesty, I think you should take a look at a cowon S9, yes it doesn't have expansion but it does come in 32GB and it is a very good player.

And just so you know, the D2 is a very strong DAP, I've put them through some horrible abuse.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:34 PM

I did consider S9 and its really awesome.but its a lot expensive,atleast at my place and i would prefer to have an expansion slot!
neways going with the d2+.my heart is now set.
thanks

Old 01-04-2010, 11:12 AM

Can't be wrong, I've use mine till I think a quarter of the paint is gone but it is still going strong. Add in the long battery life, better sound quality, more sound enhancements(though I don't use them)

The TV out cables don't come in the pack though, at least not for my region.

Anyway, you can just encode your videos in the correct resolution with xvid, and it will play

Old 01-05-2010, 12:08 AM

hope so.btw how's the quality of tv out on a crt?are there any videos for the same?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Out of those two I'd go with the Cowon. IMO the creatives don't have as good of sound enhancements, and in the portable audio world that is translated into sound quality.
this depends on whether you're and audiophile (like me), or not.

sound enhancements are uneccessary when you use all flac or 320mp3 files but you need a very minimum of 32gb.

i've got 32gb with a 16gb card in it.

i keep music that i listen to often in the 32 and music that i dont listen to often on the card.
the lack of integration really sucks but i can live with it more than i can live with a player with half the memory,a small screen, that looks like the swiveled monitor from my old video camera.

of course, that screen is somewhat delicate and you really need the tuf-luv leather case: http://www.i-nique.com/detail.asp/cn...=5055205262949

Last edited by badazzmofo; 01-19-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzmofo View Post

sound enhancements are uneccessary when you use all flac or 320mp3 files but you need a very minimum of 32gb.
Says you......but everybody's ears hear differently, and different earphones reproduce sound differently. So a good suite of enhancements,or at least a decent customizable EQ, are essential so that anyone can get their "right" sound.

That's why Sony, Cowon, and Samsung are so awesome.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:

i've got 32gb with a 16gb card in it.

i keep music that i listen to often in the 32 and music that i dont listen to often on the card.
the lack of integration really sucks but i can live with it more than i can live with a player with half the memory,a small screen, that looks like the swiveled monitor from my old video camera.

of course, that screen is somewhat delicate and you really need the tuf-luv leather case: http://www.i-nique.com/detail.asp/cn...=5055205262949
update: just got a cowon d2+ 16gig and its awesome. Still need to transfer media completely(database got corrupted once!!:-/).but so far i am satisfied.
I use ep-630 for now.A few songs i have are at low bitrate and bbe works like a charm. plus i really have vast genre of songs,so i play around with the eq quite a lot. and i think its way more portable than zen x-fi2. to me its next best to sony.
so i am happy happy!!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:06 PM

I don't feel my D2+ screen is delicate though

Old 01-22-2010, 07:32 AM

there's also the point that if you own a D2+, you look like this:

small memory, 4000 file maximum limit, thick, small screen, uses large sd cards, and totally butt ugly.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:25 AM

If the choice is only those two, IMHO I'd go with the Cowon, way better than any of the creative daps.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-06-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
there's also the point that if you own a D2+, you look like this:

small memory, 4000 file maximum limit, thick, small screen, uses large sd cards, and totally butt ugly.
Sure you are on the right site. Cause you sound just like Apple fan boy. "If it looks good it must sound good."

Cowon D2 or D2+ completely outshines the X-FI2 when it comes to sound quality. BBE and the SQ really work well with any headphone configuration. Also the Wolfson chip has superior sound reproduction.

The 16 million colors does make a difference. The videos are detailed and easy to view. Screen is kinda small but since the video playback is at 30 fps, the reproduction is good.

Also I would rather use a full sized SDHC than the MicroSDHC. For one harder to lose and secondly the full sized cards are cheaper.

Really the only cool thing about the Creative X-FI and X-FI2 series is the wifi capabilities.

Tags
cowon d2+, zen x-fi2