android
Old 12-29-2009, 12:10 PM

Default Computer won't recognize S9

Hey folks.... I have been using my S9 since June with no problems until a couple of weeks ago. When I plug it into the computer it starts up but then immediately goes into battery charging mode.
I searched this forum,other forums and did a Google search on any MP3 player not being recognized by a computer,tried a dozen differant things, but no luck.
Just today I received a new Cowon USB cable hoping against hope that the cable was the problem,nope. So my question is does anybody have an idea on what I could try next,other than sending it out to get repaired?
Also could someone suggest a MP3 player than works longer than 6 months that has OK to decent sound and uses a standard mini USB cable? Thanks....Jon

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-29-2009, 03:03 PM

Nothing is wrong with your S9. It cannot be used to play music when plugged into your computer. You can use it while it's charging from an AC outlet, but not computer...

...UNLESS you plug it into the computer HALF WAY. I suggest you read more about this (there are a few threads here and on iaudiophile.net) about it. Be very careful you don't unplug before safely removing!

Old 12-29-2009, 04:22 PM

Hi invertedskull,thanks for replying. What I meant to say is that after I plug the S9 into the computer the computer does not recognize it. I can not add or remove anything on the S9. When I click on computer all my drives so up but the S9. All my other USB devises work just not the S9. I have tried the S9 USB cable on all four of my computers USB 2.0 ports but no joy.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:22 PM

What have you tried? Reset button on the back of the player? MSC and MTP modes?

Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 AM

Yes I tried reset and both MSC and MTP.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:33 AM

I suggest you try connecting it to a different PC.

I've seen XP on one PC refuse to recognize a USB device that works fine on another PC (often due to an improper disconnect).

Old 12-30-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphunt2002 View Post
I suggest you try connecting it to a different PC.
I agree it is the next thing to do. But if you are comfortable with a boot-CD procedure, you can also try to boot your PC with a Linux Live-CD (from any distro: Mandriva, openSUSE, Fedora, etc). This will not change anything on your PC and it can help you finding out if your device detection problem is a software or hardware problem. A Live-CD is always useful inside your PC repair toolbox.

Last edited by meetooman; 12-30-2009 at 01:02 PM.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:25 PM

Hi rphunt2002,thanks for the suggestion,I've been thinking of getting a new PC anyway and the player is working fine and will charge through the USB port. Also I have a few more audio books on the player I haven't listened to yet and there is plenty of music on there to. For the last 6 months the S9 was faultless then all of a sudden when I plug the player into the computer I get the box above the taskbar that says "USB devise not recognized"
Meetooman...I don't think I'm tech savvy enough to try that but thanks for the suggestion,do you think upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 would do the same thing? I planned on doing that anyway....Thanks for your help!

Old 12-30-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
thanks for the suggestion,I've been thinking of getting a new PC anyway
Umm, well I was thinking more of trying a PC at work or a friend's PC. You don't need to install anything, it should just work. This way you can determine if it's the Pc or the S9.
Quote:
when I plug the player into the computer I get the box above the taskbar that says "USB devise not recognized"
I don't believe you mentioned that actual message before.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:16 AM

Normally setting to MSC from MTP would have worked but this one seems complicated. Have you tried installing the drivers that came along in the disk with the S9? Weird possibility they might work with the MTP setting.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:43 PM

Hi rphunt 2002....Well I went into town today with my S9 and the new USB cable from Cowon and stopped at an electronics store. They were really helpful when I explained what was going on and let me plug the S9 into a few of the display computers. One was running Win XP Professional , another was Windows 7 and they had one running Vista,and they all said USB device not recognized and then "unknown device'
Hey junglepimp I found and installed everything on the Cowon CD and no luck. So now I'm off to search for a player that might last more than 6 months. I had a creative Zen that lasted several years including the year 2005 when it rode in the handle bar bag of my bicycle that I rode for 5500 miles that year. Thanks for the help and suggestions but now I'm looking for "Anything But COWON"

Old 01-02-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2707 View Post
Hi rphunt 2002....Well I went into town today with my S9 and the new USB cable from Cowon and stopped at an electronics store. They were really helpful when I explained what was going on and let me plug the S9 into a few of the display computers. One was running Win XP Professional , another was Windows 7 and they had one running Vista,and they all said USB device not recognized and then "unknown device'
Hey junglepimp I found and installed everything on the Cowon CD and no luck. So now I'm off to search for a player that might last more than 6 months. I had a creative Zen that lasted several years including the year 2005 when it rode in the handle bar bag of my bicycle that I rode for 5500 miles that year. Thanks for the help and suggestions but now I'm looking for "Anything But COWON"
Mate mate... hang on. S9's one of the bestest things you'll find in the market so don't let the purchase go waste. Have you tried contacting the customer support people? If your player is still under warranty you can easily take it to one of their service centers if it requires any professional application of skills...

Also have you tried reformatting the player? Reinstalling the FW?

Old 02-09-2010, 09:45 PM

yeah bought an s9 today, and it won't mount on any of my 3 computers, have no choice gotta go with apple.