android
Old 12-27-2009, 07:46 PM

Arrow Right E-345 Playlist Format??

OK, got this new E345 sitting here with about 12 gB of music on it. Easy transfer - great. Now I want playlists.

The Manual (off the player) begs you to go to WMP11's help. Well, I know pretty well how to construct a playlist in WMP11. But in WMP11, when the E345 shows up, you cannot construct a playlist from the E345 tracks. You apparently have to form them from tracks on the local disk and somehow transfer the playlists (and the songs themselves?) over. When you form them in the player on the local drive, how's the playlist pointing to the target songs actually on the player? What if I missed one, two or a couple of them? And, the .wpl format (from WMP11) isn't being recognized on the device if I straight transfer so I figure you have to change it to <something>. But what do you change it to - .m3u??? What folder on the player should the playlists be housed? MUSIC?? MP_ROOT?

They didn't do a good job at all explaining these steps. Anyone else got it figured out? Some help appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-27-2009, 11:41 PM

The reliable way I've found to handle playlists using Windows Media Player (WMP) with my player (it's a different model Sony DAP from yours but it should work the same) is to do the following (although it will be a bit wordy, I will provide step-by-step instructions for clarity):

- Create the playlists you want loaded on your player in WMP and, if they are manual playlists, put the songs you want into each playlist.

- Connect your player to your computer. If your player syncs, allow it to finish before continuing.

- Right click on the "Sync" button, select your player from the pull-down list, and then select "Set Up Sync..." The Device Setup window will appear.

- The window will show all available playlists. The playlists under "Playlists to Sync" will be sent to your player, along with the songs they contain.

-- Something to mention: I wasn't able to get the playlists under "Sync Playlists" to appear on my player, but the personal playlists I created did appear on my player.

-- This window will also allow you to set up WMP to automatically sync your player whenever you connect it to your computer.

- Once you've finished selecting which playlists you want on your player, close the window and sync your player.

During the sync process the following will happen:

- The songs in each playlist you've chosen to sync to your player will copied to your player and loaded in the "MUSIC" folder. Each song will only be copied once to your player, even if it appears in multiple playlists. The songs will be arranged on your player as follows:

-- Artist / Album / Songs

- The playlists will be copied to a folder named "Playlists" on your player (WMP will automatically create this folder on your player if it doesn't exist). The playlists will have a ".pla" extension.

Once you've done this, all you have to do to add/delete songs from your player is to modify the playlist(s) you sync to your player, and then sync your player. The songs and playlists will be added/modified/deleted based on what is in WMP. It makes it very easy to manage the music on your player without having to add/delete songs from the music library itself.

To help illustrate this: I use playlists to control what is on my player and I've set it up where only songs rated one star or above are loaded on my player. If I want to remove a song from my player, I change its rating to zero stars and it will be removed when I next sync my player. It's the same to add a song to my player, just change its rating to one star or higher.

I hope this helps.
iTunes, MediaMonkey 4, Content Transfer, and Media Go 2.5,
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 12-28-2009, 06:26 AM

I see. So in other words, I've wasted a bunch of time putting songs on here that have no playlist formed BEFORE I got them on here. You have to form the playlist(s) first, then sync them over.

Crap! Now I get to have fun taking them off and putting them back on again. What a pain! Nice job, Sony!

But, thank you for your excellent explanation (which they conveniently forgot to provide...)

Old 12-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whftherb View Post
I see. So in other words, I've wasted a bunch of time putting songs on here that have no playlist formed BEFORE I got them on here. You have to form the playlist(s) first, then sync them over.

Crap! Now I get to have fun taking them off and putting them back on again. What a pain! Nice job, Sony!

But, thank you for your excellent explanation (which they conveniently forgot to provide...)

NO! Hope you see this before you do anything!

Not necessary to start over!!

I too have the E345. Don't get me started with the player's shortcomings [there are a few, but overall I love it].

Here's what you can do...

Simply install WINAMP! Latest version of Winamp sees/manages the E345 perfectly right out of the box.

NO NEED TO USE THE RIDICULOUSLY HORRIBLE WindowsMediaPlayer AT ALL!!!

Simply:

- Install Winamp;

- Allow Winamp to detect your E345;

- When E345 is detected, navigate to the PORTABLES>WALKMAN entry in the left hand nivigation pane;

- Right click on WALKMAN and select NEW PLAYLIST...to create your playlist ON THE E345;

- Once you have created your playlist, simply select WALKMAN to see all the tracks installed on the E345;

- Use standard Windows navigation to select all the songs/artists you want to in the main library window and then RIGHT CLICK>SEND TO PLAYLIST...

- YOU ARE DONE!

I am really really surprised so many folks seem to have never heard of or use Winamp [or the amazingly excellent MediaMonkey -unfortunately, MediaMonkey does not display ALL THE TRACKS on the E345 like Winamp does]!

Instead, many folks seem to be stuck screwing around with WMP, which according to myself and nearly everyone else with mp3 experience believe to be one of the most HORRIBLE, OUT OF CONTROL, LIMITING applications ever written. I am not a MS hater, but WMP should be drawn and quartered.

Do yourself a favor. Use Winamp with your E345. All your troubles will be over and you will immediately wonder how you ever lived without it.

I have used both Winamp [and MediaMonkey] to manage my mp3 library, as my software players of choice and to sync all my mp3 MTP devices for years.

I just cannot tell you how superior these 2 apps are, especially when compared to WMP.

Good luck and happy holidays,
-lestatar

Old 12-28-2009, 02:12 PM

OK, I've loaded up WinAmp 5.5. Created a first playlist, named it. Fine so far. Right click song, Add to Playlist, works great. Too bad you can't simply drag and drop from the player library to the playlist.

You're 1000% correct about WMP11. Just used myself because it was "there". I don't know what I go away from WinAmp as I used to use it a lot back when. But you're right again, it's perfectly suited for the '345.

I'll look around the Winamp site now to see if I can pick up any more "tricks" that it can do.

Thanks again.

Last edited by whftherb; 12-28-2009 at 02:26 PM. Reason: clarity

Old 12-28-2009, 09:42 PM

Why don't you give Sony Media Go software a try?

Old 12-29-2009, 01:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
OK, I've loaded up WinAmp 5.5. Created a first playlist, named it. Fine so far. Right click song, Add to Playlist, works great. Too bad you can't simply drag and drop from the player library to the playlist.

You're 1000% correct about WMP11. Just used myself because it was "there". I don't know what I go away from WinAmp as I used to use it a lot back when. But you're right again, it's perfectly suited for the '345.

I'll look around the Winamp site now to see if I can pick up any more "tricks" that it can do.

Thanks again.

whftherb, no worries my friend...glad to be of some service. And I take much personal satisfaction that another user has cut the WMP cord. GOOD RIDDANCE!

Yes, Winamp>E345 playlist drag and drop is not perfect. However, please note that there is a significant distinction here. Pardon me if you have already figured this out...

A: You CAN drag and drop to the E345 using Winamp under this condition:
- the source [the "drag"] is from your local media library.

B: You CANNOT drag and drop to E345 playlists from WITHIN the E345 itself:
- songs/artists already on the E345 can be sent to the device playlist using right click.

Condition A means that Winamp is monitoring your PC mp3/media library.

For instance, my mp3 collection resides on a USB external HDD. I have set Winamp [and MediaMonkey] to monitor this location [for me, E:\_MP3]. Everytime I open Winamp, under the LOCAL MEDIA and AUDIO entries in the left had navigation pane, I can see my entire collection of 9000+ mp3.

- See attachments 1-5 for screen grab mini-tutorial with Winamp.
[Sorry, I can't figure out how to do inline jpegs on my posts here...]

I hope the screen grabs are legible and helpful to you. [Size of the screen grabs limited here...if you cannot read/see my notes, PM me or respond and I will send you larger files.]

Bottom line: Winamp is incredibly versatile and deep - I have only scratched the surface of its capabilities. Check out the excellent Winamp forums for everything you need to know.

Hundreds and hundreds of skins to customize the look and feel, tons of useful plugins [actually, Winamp has just about all the plugins you will need by default] and more documentation than you will likely be able to absorb.

Good luck and enjoy your E345, courtesy of Winamp!

<sheeesh, Winamp should put me on the payroll!! >

cheers and happy holidays,
-lestatar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winamp1.jpg (90.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Winamp2.jpg (81.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Winamp3.jpg (38.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Winamp4.jpg (86.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Winamp5.jpg (97.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by lestatar; 12-29-2009 at 01:23 AM.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetooman View Post
Why don't you give Sony Media Go software a try?
Hey meetooman...thanks for the tip. After a cursory peek, Sony Media Go seems like a lite version of Winamp [or MediaMonkey or other great media players/library managers].

Not sure I want to install it unless it is quantifiably and significantly better than the proven and mature Winamp/MediaMonkey products.

Thanks tho! Have you used it? Are you familiar with Winamp/MediaMonkey? What does Sony Media Go do/offer that the others don't?

cheers!
-lestatar

Old 12-29-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Hey meetooman...thanks for the tip. After a cursory peek, Sony Media Go seems like a lite version of Winamp [or MediaMonkey or other great media players/library managers].

Not sure I want to install it unless it is quantifiably and significantly better than the proven and mature Winamp/MediaMonkey products.

Thanks tho! Have you used it? Are you familiar with Winamp/MediaMonkey? What does Sony Media Go do/offer that the others don't?

cheers!
-lestatar

I've tried Media Go (version 1.3) and it reminded me a bit of both iTunes and Windows Media Player. It provided basic music management, but didn't have the features of some of the other music management software. For example, it had no autoplaylists (although you can have it create playlists based on mood and tempo), no VBR encoding when ripping CDs (it will encode in both MP3 and AAC), and no skinning. It will take videos, convert them, and put them on your Sony player.

I'm familiar with MediaMonkey (MM) and found it to be an excellent program. It's great at handling large music libraries. I have a music library of more than 24,000 files and it easily handles it (I have it scan my entire library when it starts, and it accomplishes it in about 1.5 minutes).

To provide an example, MM gives you a great deal of control over your music, including how it is arranged on your hard drive and on your player. For example, I have it automatically arrange my music on my hard drive as follows:

<First character of Album Artist's name> / <Album Artist> / <Album> / <Song Title>

On my player it is arranged as follows:

<Album Artist> / <Album> / <Song Title>

You can use just about any tag when organizing your music. If you wanted, you could have it group the music by genre to put all of the podcasts into one folder on your player.

Since there is more than I can cover here, I will just touch on one point mentioned earlier. MM does allow you to drag-and-drop files on to your player. Just start MM, connect your player, and drag the files from your music library and drop them on to your player (in the list on the left). MM will copy the files to your player and load them in the correct location. You can also send the files to your player (it's basically the same effect as dragging and dropping).

I hope you found this useful.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:

I use Linux, and I have only tried Media Go by curiosity to find something to do with my soon expiring Windows 7 RC test partition.

Many people will advice you for MM, Winamp, etc for the many things they can do. But I am more a one-task-one-tool person. If you are looking for a media manager that rip+encode+manage tags+manage devices follow them, they use these softwares.

I only have used Media Go just a few moments to see the inferface. And it seems Ok with my Sony player. The SenseMe(TM) playlist creation is fun to use. You said your player was loaded, so Media Go can be fine to create playlists from your existing device music library.

What I don't like is that after the over 80GB of its install file, you still need a Quicktime download to complete the installation.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post

I've tried Media Go (version 1.3) and it reminded me a bit of both iTunes and Windows Media Player. It provided basic music management, but didn't have the features of some of the other music management software. For example, it had no autoplaylists (although you can have it create playlists based on mood and tempo), no VBR encoding when ripping CDs (it will encode in both MP3 and AAC), and no skinning. It will take videos, convert them, and put them on your Sony player.

I'm familiar with MediaMonkey (MM) and found it to be an excellent program. It's great at handling large music libraries. I have a music library of more than 24,000 files and it easily handles it (I have it scan my entire library when it starts, and it accomplishes it in about 1.5 minutes).

To provide an example, MM gives you a great deal of control over your music, including how it is arranged on your hard drive and on your player. For example, I have it automatically arrange my music on my hard drive as follows:

<First character of Album Artist's name> / <Album Artist> / <Album> / <Song Title>

On my player it is arranged as follows:

<Album Artist> / <Album> / <Song Title>

You can use just about any tag when organizing your music. If you wanted, you could have it group the music by genre to put all of the podcasts into one folder on your player.

Since there is more than I can cover here, I will just touch on one point mentioned earlier. MM does allow you to drag-and-drop files on to your player. Just start MM, connect your player, and drag the files from your music library and drop them on to your player (in the list on the left). MM will copy the files to your player and load them in the correct location. You can also send the files to your player (it's basically the same effect as dragging and dropping).

I hope you found this useful.

CDMP3PlayerFan:

Thanks for the info re: MediaGo.

You are completely right about MediaMonkey. I finally gave it a shot about a month ago and I am extremely impressed with it. It certainly is one of the deepest, most stable, smallest footprint, capable and cool looking media manager/players I have ever used.

While I am a fan of Winamp from its inception, using it for all my audio playing and mp3 library management/display needs, I find myself using MediaMonkey more and more each day. However, both apps are simply excellent and I can't recommend them highly enough.

So far here at the abi forums, I have been pushing/recommending folks use Winamp to manage their E-series [and S-series] devices instead of MediaMonkey for one simple reason:

- MM is not able to display ALL the tracks on my E345 at once. Instead, MM can only display the E345 contents by artist/album in folders, the default organization behavior of the E345 itself.

This is fine to have as an option, but I prefer to have the ability to see what is on the device in one continuous listing of songs, sortable by artist, album, year, title, genre, etc...

This, to me, is the best, most logical way to manage your portable device, especially if you take the time to use proper ID3 tagging [like I do].

Because Winamp is able to do this and MM cannot, I am still using Winamp and will continue to do so. However, despite this one drawback to MM, I am still very much in love with it. MM has amazing scripting capabilities, a very active and helpful community and I recommend using it whole-heartedly.

As for MM being able to drag and drop to my E345, you are spot on. But for the reason above I still use Winamp to sync/transfer songs to my E345.

Check out the screengrabs in my previous post here for a peek at how Winamp displays content on my E345.

cheers and happy holidays...
-lestatar

Last edited by lestatar; 12-29-2009 at 02:25 PM.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I use Linux, and I have only tried Media Go by curiosity to find something to do with my soon expiring Windows 7 RC test partition.

Many people will advice you for MM, Winamp, etc for the many things they can do. But I am more a one-task-one-tool person. If you are looking for a media manager that rip+encode+manage tags+manage devices follow them, they use these softwares.

I only have used Media Go just a few moments to see the inferface. And it seems Ok with my Sony player. The SenseMe(TM) playlist creation is fun to use. You said your player was loaded, so Media Go can be fine to create playlists from your existing device music library.

What I don't like is that after the over 80GB of its install file, you still need a Quicktime download to complete the installation.

meetooman:

Thanks for the info on MediaGo.

You sound like you could be my brotha-from-another-montha!

I too, am generally a one tool-one task person. I am normally not a fan of the Swiss Army approach to software [or even hardware] - my experience over the years is that this approach invariably ends in compromised, overly-complicated products that while claiming to "do it all" usually does nothing very well. Software like this is usually bloated and "heavy" on system resources, slow to run, prone to crashes, invasive, etc... So on all my systems, I have and actively use a lot of very small, highly rated, task specific and efficient utilities that do exactly what I need only when I need them.

Case in point: Winamp and MediaMonkey.

While both are superb music managers/players, I really only use a portion of each app's capabilities. Why? Because I prefer/have gotten used to using other smaller, better, easier to use utils to do certain tasks.

TO RIP CDs: I only use either EAC or the often underrated cdEX. Default mp3 encoder, of course, is always the most recent version of LAME.

TO TAG AND EMBED ARTWORK: Only the excellent mp3Tag will do.

TO OCCASIONALLY TRANSCODE mp3 files [when I don't need or want huge 320kbit encoded songs I get my hands on or to transcode songs into smaller but still good quality file sizes for use on my portable devices]: foobar2000.

TO TRANSCODE FLAC TO mp3: Again, the super small, simple, default foobar2000.

TO PLAY / PREVIEW A FEW mp3 TRACKS AT A TIME: Again, foobar2000 because it is so small and unobtrusive and quick to launch.

TO SCAN/VERIFY/REPAIR mp3 FILES FOR CORRUPTION/INTEGRITY: The trustworthy and tiny mp3Utility and the equally small and fast mp3ValidatorRepair are perfect for testing those mp3 files I may "stumble" upon that I have not ripped on my own.

As for hardware, I will always remember my first reaction to the all-in-one desktops [the ones with HDD, graphics card, MB, RAM, optical and monitor crammed into one case/unit]. While stylish and admittedly space saving, what a LAUGH! The first thing that ran through my mind was: What do I do if my video card craps out? Or my HDD? Or my optical drive? My NIC card? I am totally dead in the water, stuck with a large piece of plastic that would work best as a doorstop.

RIDICULOUS!

ANYWAY...<rant over>

Your info on MediaGo is exactly why I will not use it. I think you meant 80MB for the app, not 80GB, but this is still unbelievably and unacceptably large. Plus I cannot stand QuickTime and I avoid it like the plague along with WMP and RealPlayer.

No thanks...Besides, Sony's core competence is NOT software design and programming [most recently evidenced by the glaring lack of what I consider fundamental features like: BASIC on-device playlist creation/editing, ability to DELETE songs/content FROM the device itself and what is most stupid of all, the inability to add songs/albums/artists to the NOW PLAYING queue on the E345].

Since I am new to Sony mp3 devices, I thought these missing features were the result of my E345 being the cheapo/baseline device in their lineup. NOT TRUE! I just read a post from a user with a new X-series complaining about these exact same things. Ridiculous, since he paid more than 4 times what I paid for my E345.

btw, totally off topic, but I am looking to finally jump into the Linux world. Any advice for an experienced MS/PC power user as to what Linux distro would be the best? I don't want "Linux-lite" but I also do not need a super-geeky command line only Linux distro. I want to dual-boot with an XP machine.

My preliminary research indicates that ubuntu offers the best overall combination of ease of install/uninstall, GUI, Linux stability, HW support, features, etc...

Any thoughts? If you are interested and able, I would greatly appreciate hearing your opinions, here or offline via PMs or email.

cheers and happy holidays,
-lestatar

Last edited by lestatar; 12-29-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
CDMP3PlayerFan:

Thanks for the info re: MediaGo.

You are completely right about MediaMonkey. I finally gave it a shot about a month ago and I am extremely impressed with it. It certainly is one of the deepest, most stable, smallest footprint, capable and cool looking media manager/players I have ever used.

While I am a fan of Winamp from its inception, using it for all my audio playing and mp3 library management/display needs, I find myself using MediaMonkey more and more each day. However, both apps are simply excellent and I can't recommend them highly enough.

So far here at the abi forums, I have been pushing/recommending folks use Winamp to manage their E-series [and S-series] devices instead of MediaMonkey for one simple reason:

- MM is not able to display ALL the tracks on my E345 at once. Instead, MM can only display the E345 contents by artist/album in folders, the default organization behavior of the E345 itself.

This is fine to have as an option, but I prefer to have the ability to see what is on the device in one continuous listing of songs, sortable by artist, album, year, title, genre, etc...

This, to me, is the best, most logical way to manage your portable device, especially if you take the time to use proper ID3 tagging [like I do].

Because Winamp is able to do this and MM cannot, I am still using Winamp and will continue to do so. However, despite this one drawback to MM, I am still very much in love with it. MM has amazing scripting capabilities, a very active and helpful community and I recommend using it whole-heartedly.

As for MM being able to drag and drop to my E345, you are spot on. But for the reason above I still use Winamp to sync/transfer songs to my E345.

Check out the screengrabs in my previous post here for a peek at how Winamp displays content on my E345.

cheers and happy holidays...
-lestatar
I was unsure what you meant by "MM is not able to display ALL the tracks on my E345 at once" until the above post. For me, this hasn't be an issue since I do all of my music work on my computer and can easily find out what's on my player just by checking one autoplaylist, and from there review/edit all of the information on those tracks.

I haven't tried WinAmp, but if I ever become unsatisfied with MediaMonkey (MM) I'll give it a try. Right now MM meets all of my needs.

Concerning the limitations of Sony digital audio players (mentioned by other posters), from what I've observed and my experience with the players, I think Sony players are (in computer terms) basically dumb terminals. They are great for playing music and they keep it simple and reliable, while leaving all of the fancy work to the computer and its music management software. As long as I follow some basic guides concerning my player (such as making sure my album art is the correct size), my player syncs perfectly with MM.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Your info on MediaGo is exactly why I will not use it. I think you meant 80MB for the app, not 80GB, but this is still unbelievably and unacceptably large.
Oh! My bad sorry. Yes it's 80 MB.

Quote:
No thanks...Besides, Sony's core competence is NOT software design and programming [most recently evidenced by the glaring lack of what I consider fundamental features like: BASIC on-device playlist creation/editing, ability to DELETE songs/content FROM the device itself and what is most stupid of all, the inability to add songs/albums/artists to the NOW PLAYING queue on the E345].
I think you can be wrong here. Sony also produces world class professional video editing software. They are perfectly able to add features like on device deletion, playlist edition, play-queue. But they must have concluded that all those functions were not easy to use on small 2 inches qvga screens. Make it easy, many people will delete files by mistake. Can you imagine how many people would never succeed in adding a song before the now playing one ends? Those devices are made for very average tech. users. You don't want to confuse them.

Quote:
btw, totally off topic, but I am looking to finally jump into the Linux world. Any advice for an experienced MS/PC power user as to what Linux distro would be the best? I don't want "Linux-lite" but I also do not need a super-geeky command line only Linux distro. I want to dual-boot with an XP machine.

My preliminary research indicates that ubuntu offers the best overall combination of ease of install/uninstall, GUI, Linux stability, HW support, features, etc...
The famous Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, openSUSE are good choice for beginners. The stylish Linux Mint is getting some attention. Each distribution has qualities and issues. Maybe one will not work at all on your machine even they are supposed to be made from the same engine. So be prepared to try several distros before finding your favorite one.

What you must know is that there are different desktop in Linux. The main I can cite are Gnome, KDE, and XFCE. They will be your interface to the system. Your Linux experience will greatly depend on your desktop choice and tastes.
My advice would be to try Fedora with Gnome, openSUSE with KDE and Xubuntu which the XFCE version of Ubuntu.
If you can give a month to each and you will understand how getting into the Linux world means opening your mind to a great diversity of ideas and talents.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Oh! My bad sorry. Yes it's 80 MB.

I think you can be wrong here. Sony also produces world class professional video editing software. They are perfectly able to add features like on device deletion, playlist edition, play-queue. But they must have concluded that all those functions were not easy to use on small 2 inches qvga screens. Make it easy, many people will delete files by mistake. Can you imagine how many people would never succeed in adding a song before the now playing one ends? Those devices are made for very average tech. users. You don't want to confuse them.

The famous Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, openSUSE are good choice for beginners. The stylish Linux Mint is getting some attention. Each distribution has qualities and issues. Maybe one will not work at all on your machine even they are supposed to be made from the same engine. So be prepared to try several distros before finding your favorite one.

What you must know is that there are different desktop in Linux. The main I can cite are Gnome, KDE, and XFCE. They will be your interface to the system. Your Linux experience will greatly depend on your desktop choice and tastes.
My advice would be to try Fedora with Gnome, openSUSE with KDE and Xubuntu which the XFCE version of Ubuntu.
If you can give a month to each and you will understand how getting into the Linux world means opening your mind to a great diversity of ideas and talents.
meetooman:

Thanks for the reply.

Guess my point was directed towards Sony's software efforts directed towards general consumers - never considered their pro software. Good point!

As to the dumbing down of software/interfaces - I understand completely the point here, but IMO, this practice is/and always will be a double-edged sword.

Yes, consumer devices SHOULD be easy to use for the average tech newbie. But not necessarily at the expense of omitting useful features. This is admittedly a tough tightrope to walk, but I see software developers out there who get around this by making "advanced" features optional, but available. Then it is up to the individual user to decide how advanced or simple things should be for them.

If you make things TOO simple and TOO BASIC, you will alienate more advanced users and, in the process, do nothing to really EDUCATE those users who need help.

I don't have the solution though...

your linux comments: thanks a million! Extremely helpful and I will start reviewing choices/contenders.

cheers and have a safe New Years!
-lestatar

Old 01-23-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Simply:

- Install Winamp;

- Allow Winamp to detect your E345;

- When E345 is detected, navigate to the PORTABLES>WALKMAN entry in the left hand nivigation pane;

- Right click on WALKMAN and select NEW PLAYLIST...to create your playlist ON THE E345;

- Once you have created your playlist, simply select WALKMAN to see all the tracks installed on the E345;

- Use standard Windows navigation to select all the songs/artists you want to in the main library window and then RIGHT CLICK>SEND TO PLAYLIST...

- YOU ARE DONE!
-lestatar
Hi,
Is there a way to do the same thing with MediaMonkey ? I prefer to use MM than Winamp (more intrusive ...)

thanks

Old 01-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eremos View Post
Hi,
Is there a way to do the same thing with MediaMonkey ? I prefer to use MM than Winamp (more intrusive ...)

thanks
Are you asking about files that are all ready on the device or files that are in your on-computer collection?

Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Are you asking about files that are all ready on the device or files that are in your on-computer collection?
About files that are all ready on my device.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Sorry, Ive never been able to manipulate the files through MM once they were on the Sony. I can't make playlists, transfer or play files from MM. It wants to do it all from your collection AFAIK.

When I use drag and drop in Explorer some of the metadata doesn't make it into the Sony's database. In order to get the full metadata to show I use MM to transfer a playlist I call "ALL" to the device. That includes the all files I have scanned into the MM library. After that I can use MM to create playlists from the library without it adding new files to the player.

I create new playlists within MM and sync them to the player. When you click on "Synchronize To WALKMAN" it appears to be resending the files but it just takes a LONG time to send the playlist, not duplicate files. Kind of irritating to tell you the truth. Not enough to get rid of the player...yet. I don't think I'll be looking a device that doesn't support MSC transfer and play listing any time soon. Especially since the Sony has no on board playlist ability.

You may want to check the MM forum. Someone there may have found a more elegant work around than the one I use. Or hang in around here. We've got some really resourceful and experienced members here. Someone may have found how to get MM to do what we want.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Now I want playlists.
While browsing your MP3 player in Windows Explorer, you can create playlists while your MP3 player is in MTP mode:

1. Highlight all of the music files, folders, or files and folders on your MP3 player that you want in the playlist.
2. Right click on one of the highlighted files.
3. Select Create Playlist.
4. Give the playlist a name.
5. Move the playlist into the Playlists folder.

A media player you guys may want to check out is J. River Media Jukebox 12. One can create playlists with it so that the playlists refer only to music that is already on your MP3 player. No duplicate files are transferred over. You guys might find it useful for MP3 players that do not have on-the-go playlists. Sony, I am looking at you.

Last edited by Enigmatic; 02-03-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Tags
e345, playlists