android
  #1  
Old 12-27-2009, 12:58 PM
pleasegimmep3 pleasegimmep3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Default Major Bug - flac, artwork, ogg, play counts

Right, so I got my s9 for christmas and have spent two whole days tring to solve issues. The reason I bought the s9 was the sound quality and video. But due to the problems I have been having I have been prevented from enjoying these as i would have liked to.

It all started on the first sync - no artwork
>>I began to use mp3tag and mediamonkey
Then failure to transfer flac and ogg files
>>Put it in msc mode
Unable to register playcounts with last.fm and ogg files still won't show album artwork.

the biggest problem is that the player in mtp mode says that it can't play flac and ogg when it can and does so well in msc mode. But play counts are very important for me, mainly through last.fm but also for playlists. I'm really getting fed up at trying to solve problems which would've been simler - dare i say it - had i got an iPod instead.

Is this something that I will have to deal with eternally or is there a workaround that i haven't found yet? The current state of affairs means that the player might be on ebay soon and I would get a p3 instead.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 12-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Redblade Redblade is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chibougamau, QC, Canada
Posts: 24
Default

Try to do a Firmware upgrade, mabe that will solve the problem
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 12-27-2009, 05:23 PM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasegimmep3 View Post
the biggest problem is that the player in mtp mode says that it can't play flac and ogg when it can and does so well in msc mode.
That's not the player's fault, but Microsoft's idiotic/patronizing MTP protocol. Maybe you can ignore these false errors - try dragging'n'dropping your files over in Explorer and don't "sync" with any app. I can't say if it really works, since I'd never use MTP. The Samsung P3 would probably behave no better, concerning these issues. An iPod of course doesn't play FLAC or Vorbis, but it indeed has native scrobbling. So it's up to you, where your priorities lie.
__________________
Please don't PM me with questions that can be answered in a forum thread. Don't be an idiot.
My Gear and Reviews | My RMAA Tests | IRC: #anythingbutipod on Freenode | Last.fm | Album Art Exchange | Rockbox | Replaygain
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 12-28-2009, 06:06 AM
pleasegimmep3 pleasegimmep3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Default

So would it work in mtp mode on linux? And is there a way to recognise play counts?
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 12-28-2009, 06:13 AM
pleasegimmep3 pleasegimmep3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Default

Or what if i stopped using flac and ogg files and went normal mtp mode - would I get play counts?

A little aside - can the s9 read artwork in ogg files either in vorbis comments/the other tag thing
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 12-28-2009, 06:47 AM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasegimmep3 View Post
So would it work in mtp mode on linux? And is there a way to recognise play counts?
I don't know if QTScrobbler does this on Linux. On Windows there's only Zenses as well, besides QTScrobbler. I assume you tried both?

Of course no players except Rockboxed ones can scrobble in MSC mode, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasegimmep3 View Post
Or what if i stopped using flac and ogg files and went normal mtp mode - would I get play counts?
Did you try anything already, regarding scrobbling? Zenses, QTScrobbler? I can't help you there, since I refuse to touch MTP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasegimmep3 View Post
A little aside - can the s9 read artwork in ogg files either in vorbis comments/the other tag thing
No, no portable player at all supports embedded Vorbis comment album art. Embedded FLAC album art works fine on the S9, however. It's one of the few players that support this.
__________________
Please don't PM me with questions that can be answered in a forum thread. Don't be an idiot.
My Gear and Reviews | My RMAA Tests | IRC: #anythingbutipod on Freenode | Last.fm | Album Art Exchange | Rockbox | Replaygain
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 AM
pleasegimmep3 pleasegimmep3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Default

Oh, that sucks but thanks for clearing this up, I know i sound a bit angry but its just frustration from having to find so many instructions - like when i used linux for the first time.

Quote:
Did you try anything already, regarding scrobbling? Zenses, QTScrobbler? I can't help you there, since I refuse to touch MTP.
I saw the page - s9 does work but i don't want to lose my flac or ogg files as its about the only music i had that wasn't in m4a (damn itunes) format. Also my favourite music (pearl jam) is all in flac for the quality and (http://last.fm.com/user/emilevasquez) And you can see how much i listen to it.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 12-28-2009, 05:46 PM
pleasegimmep3 pleasegimmep3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Default

Would you say that the flac and ogg thingy counts as a bug because i retried songbird and the equivalent thing happened - but unlike mediamonkey/winamp (in msc) you can't tell it that the s9 can play flacs and oggs.

Quote:
So it's up to you, where your priorities lie.
I have chosen laziness and sound quality. as an aside do you reckon that foldersync would be better than using winamp - because i already use mp3tag and winamp has trouble recognising files on the cowon sometimes.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
richteratmosphere's Avatar
richteratmosphere richteratmosphere is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 73
Default

I've had my S9 for a little while now, as far as music go, had only played around with FLACs and MP3s. Was a little disturbed that the embedded album art in some OGGs that I loaded weren't displaying correctly, but I found this post here that clarified that they're not supposed to.

My workaround was to rename the Folder.jpg file that I had for the art to Cover.jpg. If I play that album by using the S9 browser and going to the folder and playing the album that way instead of via a playlist, the album art ends up showing up for all songs that way. I found the Cover.jpg idea here too.

I am really impressed with how good OGGs sound in general and on the S9 specifically. I encoded them to approximately 192 kbps VBR OGG using dBpowerAMP, and they sound great. I never really used OGG that much before I got an S9, since my last player didn't support it, and if I encode for storage on my desktop, I almost always go for FLAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
No, no portable player at all supports embedded Vorbis comment album art. Embedded FLAC album art works fine on the S9, however. It's one of the few players that support this.
__________________
Cowon S9 32GB
Sansa Clip+ 8GB with 16 GB Kingston microsdhc card
Koss KSC75
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 01-11-2010, 11:16 AM
pleasegimmep3 pleasegimmep3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Default

Do you play for play counts and mtp mode or ums/msc?
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 01-12-2010, 07:21 AM
richteratmosphere's Avatar
richteratmosphere richteratmosphere is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 73
Default

I don't use any play count system that I know of or use MTP mode. I use MSC mode, in part because I didn't like some of the glitches that occured using MTP mode on another player that I had. Not even sure what UMS is.

Mostly, I just play what I want to play audiowise through a playlist, unless it's OGG where I play by folder so that I can see the album art.



Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasegimmep3 View Post
Do you play for play counts and mtp mode or ums/msc?
__________________
Cowon S9 32GB
Sansa Clip+ 8GB with 16 GB Kingston microsdhc card
Koss KSC75
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
flac, ogg, play counts, sync, tag

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.