android
Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 AM

Had a chance to play a little with the V5 its was confusing to navigate but the sound quality is very good. Its not a bad player for the price IMHO but deserves a better execution.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-27-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajai_dev View Post
Had a chance to play a little with the V5 its was confusing to navigate but the sound quality is very good. Its not a bad player for the price IMHO but deserves a better execution.
So if I want best available music quality from cowon, should I wait for the V5 or get another instead ?
Im using the Cowon E2 btw ...

Im asking since the video-player capabilities caught my interest but music quality still weights more though

Old 03-16-2010, 11:47 PM

I just ordered one. I, too, dislike the UI, but I'm looking forward to tinkering with the Windows CE side of things.

I remember back when I had an iPaq (HP PDA), there was a special type of SD card you could buy that had WiFi. I wonder if that would work...

It didn't require any special app or driver, you just added it, and the OS picked it up.

I still have it (I think)! Once my V5 gets here I'll try it.

Last edited by TheWolfster; 03-16-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:02 PM

Just arrived. First things first, make sure you guys back up the folder heirachy if you plan to format it to exFat (like I did). That'll allow you place 4GB+ video files on the system without any limitations.

As to whether or not they play...I'll try that later (long day at work, super tired). Still haven't found my WiFi card.

Initial impressions: I like it, but hate the UI. Interface is a tad clumsy with fingers. The stylus is good, but not exactly fun to use. I like the animation for "USB connected".

Its a guy batting baseballs (hard to explain, will take pics).

Will do:

720p AVCHD H264 (4.1) MKV video! and AAC/AC3 audio.

I can't get 5.1 DTS audio to play.

It won't do encoded softsubs, I guess I have to extract them.

Looks amazing. I'm happy

Last edited by TheWolfster; 03-19-2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: doh, h264, not h265 :P

Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfster View Post

Will do:

720p AVCHD H265 (4.1) MKV video! and AAC/AC3 audio.

I can't get 5.1 DTS audio to play.

Nice to hear it can play back AAC audio in MKV container. It didnt list on their spec's as a supported audio codec. Will it play back 6ch AAC audio in MKV container ? Cause I might get a black 16 gb when it's available. A little expensive, but it worth it IMO.

As for DTS audio, you have to buy a plug-in for it (aka Archos). It's available in Korea, dont know when it come to USA.

Please, make a review.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:56 PM

I have some time this weekend (spring break...finally), so I'll try to put together a mini-review, nothing extensive; I'll leave that to the pros on this site.

I am a bit of a video junkie, so I'll be sure to try lots of different formats that aren't supported.

I also have a 32GB SDHC card on the way (class 4), so I'll see how that performs. It'd be cool if I can mount it to the existing flash memory (in CE) so it shows up as one big 48GB drive. That would make it so very easy to manage all my media content.

And for those of you are interested, its now available on Amazon.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd get one, but right now they seem too expensive for what you get.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:46 AM

Thanks for the amazon link. 280? i'll pass

Old 03-21-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukee View Post
Nice to hear it can play back AAC audio in MKV container. ...
Well my i9 plays aac in mkv container and AFAIK the s9 and other cowon's do too.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-26-2010, 04:32 AM

Default Cowon V5 questions

I've been using a modded out Palm Lifedrive as a video player for a couple years now, and would like to switch over to something where the battery life is better than the 3-4 hours I currently get.

Can anyone tell me if the V5 screen is made out of the same gorilla glass that the S9 is made out of? If not, would I have to get a screen protector?

Also, how's the volume on the external speaker? I'd like to use this for my kids when we're out and about and want to know if it's possible to get away with the onboard speaker. How badly would the speaker drain the battery if left to run on full or even half volume? Does it even sound good at full volume?

Any chance the UI could be modded to something a little less ugly as well as more finger-touch friendly?

Questions, questions, questions. =)

Old 05-03-2010, 03:35 PM

is this on general release in the uk yet or only as a import from either america or korea. the only reason i ask is the only shop i can see it in is www.advancedmp3.co.uk in the uk not even amazon has it in the uk yet? i have never used the above site and have read a few bad reviews plus would prefer to buy it from an actual store or a internet site i have used before. any suggestions or ideas?

Old 05-03-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever_20030 View Post
is this on general release in the uk yet or only as a import from either america or korea. the only reason i ask is the only shop i can see it in is www.advancedmp3.co.uk in the uk not even amazon has it in the uk yet? i have never used the above site and have read a few bad reviews plus would prefer to buy it from an actual store or a internet site i have used before. any suggestions or ideas?
I ordered my Sony NWZ X for about 200 bucks when it was only available there back then, they shipped real fast with Fedex, only Fedex delivery man was annoying and said I wasnt at home although I was -.-
I also had some mail contact with them, dont ask me what it was about, I forgot, its been some time
Anyway, I recommend that shop.

So Mkv with softsubs arent supported ? Thats a shame ! My 80€ Player from China can do this if that Player from Korea cant I'll keep the other one ... Im not blaming Cowon for not having that feature (maybe that ChinaPlayer has some illegal stuff in the OS) but the competitors have better players on the market :/ (imo)

Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 PM

just ordered a 16 gig off amazon.

hope i don't regret it

Old 05-05-2010, 12:17 PM

You will regret it.

I've had mine since yesterday.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
You will regret it.

I've had mine since yesterday.
Geez Isnt there any decent mkv player with softsub support with >4h battery ?

Old 05-05-2010, 12:27 PM

Well, it plays videos, but it is a horribly disgusting POS in every other aspect. It's like the Cowon O2 all over again, only worse. I've made lots of enemies with my views about the O2, and it hate to repeat myself, but it's the same ol' same ol': http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...-o2-review.php / http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37194

Old 05-05-2010, 01:09 PM

that bad huh?

good thing amazon is awesome,
just cancelled that order

I guess I'll have to find a way to get my zen vision w up here

what's so bad about it? just not worth it?
how does the J3 compare? only with video?

Last edited by kai29; 05-05-2010 at 04:58 PM.