android
Old 04-29-2010, 05:15 PM

Default V5 installing apps windows apps.

Wondering how to know what apps I can install in the wince OS? I own http://www.oopdreams.com/ce/bubblets/ and can't get it to install.

Is there some limitation? Or is there a specific thing I need to look at to know an app is installable.

TIA

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-01-2010, 02:25 PM

This is something holding me back from buying actually. I want the V5 to read PDF files, and from what I have heard the US/European version does not have the functionality as standard. There are multiple Windows CE PDF reader apps available, but if they can't be installed I'm going to be very frustrated.

Cowon let you access Windows CE directly, so I can't see them limiting installs. Can an owner confirm whether Windows CE installations are an option and if there is anything you need to do different to install?

Old 05-02-2010, 03:19 PM

Hi Cornbread,

I've been looking into this installation problem a little further and it turns out Windows CE installs can be a little problematic. It all depends on what type of install you have to do. I believe your bubblets game is a .CAB install so you need to install via ActiveSync.

Check out the relevant section on this help page and let us know if you manage to get it working:

http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/installingsoftware.htm

Old 05-04-2010, 01:23 AM

Default no activesync...

I can't get activesync in xp or windows mobile device center 6.1 in windows 7 to recognize the cowon as a windows mobile device to sync/install apps on.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:30 AM

Default troubleshooting

followed these steps:

My device is not able to connect.
There are several cases that may prevent your device from connecting:
  • If Windows Live OneCare is installed on your machine, it may be blocking the device connectivity. Please click here for the steps to configure Windows Live OneCare to allow the device to connect.
  • The driver installation may not have completed successfully. If you think this may be the case, follow these steps:
    1. Keep your device connected
    2. From the desktop, go to Start > Start Search
    3. Enter "Device Manager" or "devmgmt.msc" to launch the Device Manager window
    4. Look under the "Network adapters" node for "Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter". If this is not present, skip to step 5. Otherwise, right-click "Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter" and choose to "Uninstall"
    5. Look under the "Mobile Devices" node for "Microsoft USB Sync". If this is not present, skip to step 6. Otherwise, right-click "Microsoft USB Sync" and choose to "Uninstall"
    6. Disconnect and reconnect your device. Your device driver will re-install and Windows Mobile Device Center will launch.
Wasn't able to get past step 3 devmgmt.msc gives error in run and couldn't modify the network adapter in step 4 either.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:33 AM

I'm getting mine on 16th May, so will try this out. I contacted AMP3 technical support about this and got the following response:

"Thanks for your enquiry.

You will be able to install your own Windows CE applications onto the V5, there are no limitations or lockouts.

Kind regards,

AMP3 Technical Support"

Old 05-06-2010, 01:40 PM

Got my Cowon v5 this morning. What a fantastic piece of kit. I can't fault the screen and the video playback is the best I have seen on a device like this. You can throw anything at it and it will play flawlessly.

Now on to the issue of app installations. The reason people are having trouble doing this is because Microsoft Activesync is required for most installs. How ActiveSync works is you download a Windows CE app as an executable to your Windows desktop PC, run it on your Windows desktop PC, and then the files get transferred over to your Windows CE device through ActiveSync.

This requires ActiveSync or the more recent Windows Mobile software be installed on your desktop machine and your Windows CE device be setup for ActiveSynce connections.

On older Cowon hardware there used to be a setting that allowed Windows to recognise it as an ActiveSync device. On the v5 there doesn't seem to be the equivalent setting so Windows just views it as a mass storage device.

Until I (or someone else) figures out how to setup the v5 to be ActiveSync ready you can't install apps that require it. You can however manually install apps distributed as CAB files and executables that don't need to be installed.

For example, if you want a PDF reader then the the Foxit Read for Mobile Devices works. To use follow these steps:

1. Navigate to here http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/index.php
2. Scroll down to the Mobile Devices section and download the Foxit Reader 1.0 Build 0820 for Windows CE 5.0(zip) file
3. Unzip that in Windows to get the .exe file
4. Copy that .exe on to your Cowon v5
5. Disconnect your v5 from your PC and boot it up
6. In the NAND folder you can navigate to in Windows Explorer on the device the executable will appear. Double tapping it will allow it to run and you can view PDFs

It is a limited viewer, so it isn't perfect. But I need to figure out how to get ActiveSync working with the v5 and then we can install any and all CE apps.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:44 PM

sorry for asking ukdm where did u get your v5 i can only seem to find it at advancedmp3players website in the uk wondered if there was anywhere else

Old 05-07-2010, 02:17 PM

That's where I got mine from. 16gb version 249.99. I have to say service was very quick and the packaging was excellent. Very sturdy cardboard box inside a padded envelope.