android
Old 12-19-2009, 07:30 AM

Default D2 + Hornet = distortion

Even thought Im very satisfied with my NWZ-A829 together with a Hornet amp, I decided to go for the D2 mainly because of its FLAC capabilities. First impression wasnt good...sound is muffled and distorted compared to the Sony. I read somewhere that the volume output should be set @ 49 to give a "nearly line-out" signal.
Could it just be a tuning problem or does the Sony handle the lower frequencies better?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-19-2009, 10:45 AM

hmm, the D2+ is practically flat, also 50 would be closer to line level.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replika View Post
I read somewhere that the volume output should be set @ 49 to give a "nearly line-out" signal.
Don't trust stuff you "read somewhere".

That's an old myth that's been going around on iAudiophile and other sites, and just isn't true. The D2 doesn't distort at volume 50 as well: http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Compa...2048,%2050.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replika View Post
First impression wasnt good...sound is muffled and distorted compared to the Sony.
Did you turn off the default sound enhancements that are enabled on the D2? With enhancements turned on it's very likely the D2 distorts at volume 49 or 50. I've been using my D2 all the time at volume 34 with my amp, that was the best compromise of sound quality and headroom for BBE enhancements, for my needs.

Furthermore, Sony players don't provide a flat frequency response, even if all sound enhancements are turned off. Sony "cheats", so their players sound more exciting than the competition, so to speak. That might be another reason why a Sony player sounds better in an AB comparison, when one presumes both players should deliver a flat frequency response.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Furthermore, Sony players don't provide a flat frequency response, even if all sound enhancements are turned off. Sony "cheats", so their players sound more exciting than the competition, so to speak.
Sorry to drift a little off-topic, but what you're saying about the Sony players could explain why mine works so well with the KSC75's, which were just about unlistenable with my Clip....very interesting!

Old 12-19-2009, 11:38 AM

You can tweak Sony players in that fabled service menu you can access with some cryptic key combinations. There you can adjust their initial bass and treble curve that goes for what Sony considers "flat".

Old 12-22-2009, 01:18 PM

Im now the happy owner of a Rockbox'ed D2.
Sound is overall very satisfying.