android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Software & Media > Software

Old 01-09-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanSpam View Post
I should rephrase that, I sort it by a quasi gener - mood folders. So i have a folder called "Low Key" Where I put music that I like playing in the background when cleaning or what not. One called "Mainstream", mostly put junk in here that are more for parties and upbeat music, One called "Rock" all heavier rock great for working out.. etc. here's what it looks like:

Music\

Holiday
EDM (electronic dance music)
Low Key
Mainstream
Rock
I do the same thing (access my music by mood), except I use the ID3 Mood and Tempo tags to accomplish this. Then, I create autoplaylists to access the type of music I want, such as the following types of songs: Mellow, Slow, Sad, and Upbeat.

As I gain for experience with tags and refine them, I've found that combining them with autoplaylists allows me a great deal of flexiblity in how I listen to my music. When properly tagged, I can easily generate an autoplaylist for any occasion.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-21-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
I do the same thing (access my music by mood), except I use the ID3 Mood and Tempo tags to accomplish this. Then, I create autoplaylists to access the type of music I want, such as the following types of songs: Mellow, Slow, Sad, and Upbeat.

As I gain for experience with tags and refine them, I've found that combining them with autoplaylists allows me a great deal of flexiblity in how I listen to my music. When properly tagged, I can easily generate an autoplaylist for any occasion.

Yeah I thought about doing that as well. Crazy as it may be, I'm kind of a noob to digital music when it comes to organization through different genres, since my djing days have slowly been dying out, I've started to listen to less club music. Thanks for the post.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:52 PM

I have a folder for my music called Music Library\Lossless - for my FLAC library and Music Library\MP3 - this is all the stuff downloaded off Amazon MP3.

So it goes like this Music Library\
Lossless\Artist\Album
MP3\Artist\Album

Old 03-05-2010, 05:33 AM

I'm an album/artist/track kinda guy.

If you use genres, you have the problem of:
* Splitting works by artist (as was already mentioned)
* Being forced to only use one genre per track
* Being forced to manage your genres well - if you auto rip CDs and tag from FreeDB or the like you're going to get into trouble here, such is the nature of the genre tagging.

Quote:
Inside the artist folders are the album folders which to list in chronological order I lead with the year of release:

1967 - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
1667 - Magical Mystery Tour
EddieE - what's your opinion on _which_ year gets used? A common problem I see is where the year is for the release, not the original release. So if MMT was digitally remastered and re-released, it may say 2010!

Old 03-06-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gravell View Post
I'm an album/artist/track kinda guy.

If you use genres, you have the problem of:
* Splitting works by artist (as was already mentioned)
* Being forced to only use one genre per track
* Being forced to manage your genres well - if you auto rip CDs and tag from FreeDB or the like you're going to get into trouble here, such is the nature of the genre tagging.

EddieE - what's your opinion on _which_ year gets used? A common problem I see is where the year is for the release, not the original release. So if MMT was digitally remastered and re-released, it may say 2010!
When it comes to the date/year, if the song is from an original album rather than a compilation then I use the date the album was originally released. If the song is from a compilation (such as a greatest hits album) I handle each of the songs individually and use the following when determining the date/year for each individual song:

- Date recorded. If that's not available then...

- Date originally released. If that's not available then...

- Date it debuted on the Billboard charts. If that's not available then...

- Date the album the song was originally from was released. If that is not available then...

- A logically assumed year. If a group broke up in 1970 then I'd use that year since the group couldn't have recorded after that year.

This ensures that all music from the same period of time remain together. It also avoids a situation like The Beatles' music being mixed in with songs by Whitney Houston, Pet Shop Boys, Madonna, Genesis, and Peter Gabriel
MediaMonkey 4

Old 03-06-2010, 02:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have some albums I need to fix one of these days...remasters that I should change to the original release year. I just need to remember to do it when I have the motivation.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
When it comes to the date/year, if the song is from an original album rather than a compilation then I use the date the album was originally released. If the song is from a compilation (such as a greatest hits album) I handle each of the songs individually and use the following when determining the date/year for each individual song:
[snip]
wow sounds like quite an exhaustive rule set you have there! It must take a fair bit of research... no?

Old 03-06-2010, 12:51 PM

I try to organize it the way I browse by id3 on the player. On my player, I go to artist, then look at the albums, then select a song. So my folders are as such:
artist\album\00 title
However, I have many fan recordings, which have no tracknum, so I only put it before if there is a num. In foobar2000 syntax, it goes like this:
%artist%\%album%\[$num(%track%,2) ]%title%

Most people follow either this or the same with genre directories at the beginning. I chose not to because I rarely browse by genre and I have artist which span multiple genres.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow, some great organizational tips here...Some people are amazingly detailed and organized, way more than my lazy butt will ever be [e.g. CDMP3PlayerFan]...

While my overall mp3 RIP/TAGGING process is pretty lengthy, detailed and works for me, my filing is simple [and lazy!].

E:\MP3
E:\MP3\Classical
E:\MP3\Group01
E:\MP3\Group02

That's it.

Since I go to great pains to make sure my tags/filenames are as clean and accurate and consistent as possible to suit my tastes, I just let MediaMonkey or Winamp handle the heavy lifting with the library.

However, as my collection grows [13K files, 90GB and counting] I can definitely see the utility of using a different sub-folder structure, one example like:

E:\MP3\A
E:\MP3\B
E:\MP3\C
etc, etc to Z

where the letters are the first significant letter of the artists name. This would help to alleviate having excessive amounts of files in any single directory on my Win machines. But even though I might explore this type of organization at some point, I will definitely not get any more granular with my music genres - more trouble for me than it is worth I think.

But whatever protocol one chooses, the important thing IMO is that things are organized, but in a way that makes sense to you.

Everyone has a different sense of "filing" organization - there is no right way to do it, just whatever works for you and makes sense to you. But accurate ID3 tagging is vital [to save you headaches down the road] and consistent file locations of your music is also extremely helpful [so you always know where your stuff is and your apps monitoring your library won't have to search all over your PC].

Good luck and thanks to all for the tips!
cheers,
-lestatar

Old 03-07-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
wow sounds like quite an exhaustive rule set you have there! It must take a fair bit of research... no?
It depends on the album. In most cases the CD booklet contains all of the information that I need. As an example, The Band's "Greatest Hits" album contains the date each song was recorded. In other cases, the Internet is a great resource of information on hard to find songs. Fortunately, I only have to do it once for each song, and it's very rare that I have to go down to the last rule for determining a song's date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Wow, some great organizational tips here...Some people are amazingly detailed and organized, way more than my lazy butt will ever be [e.g. CDMP3PlayerFan]...

While my overall mp3 RIP/TAGGING process is pretty lengthy, detailed and works for me, my filing is simple [and lazy!].

E:\MP3\Group01
E:\MP3\Group02

That's it.

Since I go to great pains to make sure my tags/filenames are as clean and accurate and consistent as possible to suit my tastes, I just let MediaMonkey or Winamp handle the heavy lifting with the library.

However, as my collection grows [13K files, 90GB and counting] I can definitely see the utility of using a different sub-folder structure, one example like:

E:\MP3\A
E:\MP3\B
E:\MP3\C
etc, etc to Z

where the letters are the first significant letter of the artists name. This would help to alleviate having excessive amounts of files in any single directory on my Win machines. But even though I might explore this type of organization at some point, I will definitely not get any more granular with my music genres - more trouble for me than it is worth I think.

But whatever protocol one chooses, the important thing IMO is that things are organized, but in a way that makes sense to you.

Everyone has a different sense of "filing" organization - there is no right way to do it, just whatever works for you and makes sense to you. But accurate ID3 tagging is vital [to save you headaches down the road] and consistent file locations of your music is also extremely helpful [so you always know where your stuff is and your apps monitoring your library won't have to search all over your PC].

Good luck and thanks to all for the tips!
cheers,
-lestatar
I agree that proper tagging is essential, and that you should organize your music the way that works best for you. I use MediaMonkey and put all of my music in one folder and use the following structure when organizing my files:

F:\Music Library\First Letter of Album Artist's Name\Album Artist\Album\Song Title

Organizing my files this way avoids having too many folder/files in any one folder. For complilations I list the album artist as "Various Artists" to keep them together.
MediaMonkey 4

Old 05-09-2010, 06:08 PM

Default Complications and Multiple Disc Albums

2 issues:

1. Multiple CD albums:
Do you put this all into one folder or split them up into 2? if you put them into 1 folder, do you list the track names sequentially or sequentially by disc? EX:

Marvin Gaye/Marvin Gaye Gold/01 - .....
(through)
Marvin Gaye/Marvin Gaye Gold/30 - .....

or

Marvin Gaye/Marvin Gaye Gold (Disc 1)/01 - ..... etc.
Marvin Gaye/Marvin Gaye Gold (Disc 2)/01 - .....

2. Compliations

If you organize your music by Artists/Album/00-title, What do you use as the artist name? Do you just use the album title as the artist, and if so, do you include the artist in your track naming? (A) or do you create multiple folders for the different artists on the album? (B) Or do you create a "Compliation" folder? (C) EX:

(A)
[500] days of summer soundtrack\[500] days of summer\15 - Here Comes Your Man.mp3
(or)
[500] days of summer soundtrack\[500] days of summer\15 - Meaghan Smith - Here Comes Your Man.mp3

(B)
Meaghan Smith\[500] days of summer\15 - Here Comes Your Man.mp3

(C)
Compliations\[500] days of summer soundtrack\15 - Here Comes Your Man.mp3

Old 05-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey ToucanSpam:

No prob for me in either case. Proper ID3 tagging is my best friend...and this leads to the exact individual filename structure I want.

Multiple Disc Albums:
Joe Satriani Live In Paris, 2 disc set gets tagged -
Artist: Joe Satriani
Album: Live In Paris [Disc1]
Title: Satch Boogie
Track Number, Year, Genre, etc....becomes filename:

Joe Satriani - Live In Paris [Disc1] - 13 - Satch Boogie.mp3

Various Artists compilations are handled the same way, where I specify the artists on a track in the Title field, like so:

Crossfire - A Tribute To Stevie Ray Vaughn
Artist: Various Artists
Album: Crossfire - A Tribute To Stevie Ray Vaughn
Title: Cold Shot [Steve Stevens]
Track Number, Year, Genre, etc...becomes filename:

Various Artists - Crossfire - A Tribute To Stevie Ray Vaughn - 02 - Cold Shot [Steve Stevens].mp3

Just my own way of doing stuff...works for me for 10 years+... :-)

Also, as I mentioned above, all my music lives on:
E:\Music
in 2 sub-folders
E:\Music\Group01
E:\Music\Group02
E:\Music\Classical

However, as my collection is getting quite large, I am considering reorganizing my folder structure to reflect suggestions from other folks here, using alphabetical order as such:
E:\Music\0-9
E:\Music\A
E:\Music\B
etc....or something like that...

And I mark all my mp3 as read-only so no music management apps [or me!] will ever inadvertently alter any of my tags/filenames.

cheers!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-12-2010, 06:06 AM

What's the reason for grouping by alphabetic character? You may be storing problems further down the line - obviously you have to choose what is grouped alphabetically - album name or artist name, but then what if you want to change that later? That's a lot of work...

Old 05-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey Dan:

Well, as has been pointed out to me, an alpha folder structure can go a long way towards keeping things a bit neater. Also, I am starting to have concerns with the number of files in my 2 main sub-folders. At present my mp3 collection is 14k tracks and growing all the time. While I know that even a 50-50 split in now way approaches the theoretical file count limit in WinXP, scrolling or finding a specific artist sometimes gets cumbersome with 6-7k files in a folder.

This is why I am thinking about moving onto a true alphabetical sub-folder arrangement.

Of course, there will be alpha folders with way more artists in them because the first significant letter of the band's name might be very common [say "s" or "r"].

Anyway, it wouldn't be more than 10 mins worth of work for me to re-structure my folders. And maybe another 5-10 mins to blow out my MediaMonkey and Winamp music library dbs and allow them both to rescan everything.

We will see...haven't decided to do it yet.

And I am very consistent with all my mp3 stuff [tags, filename conventions, etc]. The above would only be an alteration in how I store my mp3 files, which are all filenamed by artist full name. I will never change this as this is how I prefer to have my music and I have been doing it for 10+ years.

hth and cheers!
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-12-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
What's the reason for grouping by alphabetic character? You may be storing problems further down the line - obviously you have to choose what is grouped alphabetically - album name or artist name, but then what if you want to change that later? That's a lot of work...
My main reason for grouping things alphabetically is to keep things organized, to keep the number of items in any folder to a reasonable number, and to make it easy to find any specific song. To illustrate, I arrange my music as follows:
  • First character of album artist's name
    • Album artist
      • Album
        • Song Title [Artist].mp3
The reason I use the album artist is so that I can keep the songs from the same album together, even if the artist is different for each song. As an example, I use "Various Artists" for compilations and it puts them together in a folder under the "V" directory.

As far as changing the way my files are organized, it's basically no work for me. I use MediaMonkey (MM) to manage my music collection, and it automatically takes care of organizing my music and ensuring that the songs are named properly.

If I decide to change the way my music is organized, I just make the change in MM and it will rearrange my library the way that I want. Since my library is fairly large it might take some time, but I don't have to do the work myself.
MediaMonkey 4

Old 05-13-2010, 12:02 AM

Audiobooks - what few i have are here
DUMP - Friends collections, ect, things go here to be organized
Educational - what the name says
Language - Language learning stuffs
Music - Sorted by Artist folder, Compilations and Mixtapes houses all the various artists stuff, Dubstep folder is new since I'm still organizing that, Soundtracks speaks for itself.
Stand Up - Comedy

Old 05-19-2010, 04:56 AM

Right, I understand that having alphabetical folders make it more organised, or more granular, what I would worry about in a large collection is the effect of (a) changing the album/artist name or (b) changing the file organisation scheme.

Anyway, I'm working on some software that automatically organises music files given tags. It works when files change, so if a tag is changed the files are reorganised. You express your file paths in a rule pattern and choose consistent ways of treating various artists, whitespace etc etc. If you want to help out with the beta, send me a PM.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:54 PM

I recently reorganized my music and moved away from an artists based organization to genre which so far is making it easier to find what i want to listen to. I don't use a library software like media monkey/itunes/foobar to listen to music, i use winamp and listen to full albums generally just drag and drop or right click and queue it up from explorer.

I guess i am a mood based listener and i generally stay in one genre when doing listening so this is working out quite well.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:04 PM

mine is pretty simple:

i'd hate the idea of software doing this automatically. instead i use the "file operations" component included with foobar2000. you can save presets so it takes me just a few clicks.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
...I guess i am a mood based listener and i generally stay in one genre when doing listening so this is working out quite well.
Adub: What happens when you are in a mood that you have not created any genres for?

e.g.: "Ramen Noodles With Tabasco" mood? "Praying For A Nut Flush" mood?
A Glossary for Newbies

Tags
file, filing, naming, nomenclature, structure