android
Old 12-11-2009, 07:47 PM

Default Issues syncing A5A with WMP12 Win7 64bit

Hi all,

I tried searching various sites for an answer but just can't seem to fix this.

I just bought an Archos 5 Android tablet and I'm having a heck of a time trying to sync all of my Music, Pictures and Video to it.

I have roughly 310 GB of Movies, 75GB of Music and around 1GB pics. I have the 500gb model so it should all fit. According to WMP12 if the device has enough space (shows 465gb or so available) it will automatically sync it.

Problem is WMP keeps hanging and it says "calculating" on the sync tab.

The most I was ever able to do is just sync 1 single playlist. I have since just used media monkey gold and used that to sync the music, then manually copied the movies and pictures. But in the end I would like 1 program to just keep everything in sync.

If there is any info you need let me know, I would love to get this working how I imagined it, if possible..

Thanks.

quick edit - the sync options for the device only show a few of my playlists.. I don't even see an option to or how to sync my whole library.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-15-2009, 01:39 PM

Default Resolved my own problem.

I figured I'd come back and post what I found to remedy my situation.

I'm not sure if my WMP12 is broke or just going crazy on me, so I gave that up.

Used Media Monkey gold (great program btw) to sync all music.

Then I downloaded http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html so that when the device was in mass storage mode windows could read it. (note for win7 64 bit users, run it in compatibility mode for vista sp2)

Then I was able to setup microsoft synctoy 2.0 to sync my music and videos seamlessly, since after installing the ext3 filesystem driver windows could read/write to that ext3 partition the archos 5 android uses.

I think I made this harder than it had to be, but that's my story. Hopefully it can provide some help to anyone else.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:32 AM

@sublime053,
Do you know which file system is used on internal drive of Archos 5 with Android? Isn't internal drive divided into ext3 partition and FAT partition? I'm asking you, because Windows 7 64 bit alone can perfectly read certain folders on internal drive (Music, Video, etc.), but of course system drives are not visible. Are they become visible after installation of ExtIFS software?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:45 AM

Default A5A

When I plugged it into my win7 64bit machine in Mass storage mode, it said immediately that "you need to format this disk before you can use it"

At first I said ok sure, and formatted it to whatever windows suggested. It may be the case that I just chose the wrong format but after I did that my archos was stuck in a loop of "checking disk for errors".

I did some google searches and discovered that the Archos 5 android was ext3 file system.

After I installed that file system driver I was able to see the Archos device as a drive letter (with ext3 intact on the device from what I can tell) with perfect read/write access. Using MTP mode only showed the device, but no drive letter. (But in this mode I was unable to successfully sync with WMP12 for some reason.. maybe a user error, but it just consistently froze and would only sync 1 play list.)

Hope this answers your question.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:54 AM

sublime053,

You are right - I was using MTP mode, no drive letter is assigned. I also got that error with Windows Media Player, but next time I simply chose to open 'Archos 5S' in Windows Explorer; inside it displayed two separate entities, 'Internal Hard Drive' and 'SD Card'. Then, I was able to manually copy media files from my PC to either 'Internal Hard Drive' or 'SD Card' on A5A. I found it more convenient than to "sync" with those overcomplicated tools.

Here's a related topic on ArchosFans forum.

Tags
android, archos, problem, sync, wmp