android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 12-19-2009, 02:36 AM

Default Best inexpensive very portable phones for Audiobooks?

I've got a Clip+, and listen almost exclusively to audiobooks and podcasts. Reading reviews of inexpensive (< $40) earphones, I see lots of discussions of the bass, but I'm thinking I'm better off with LESS bass for spoken word, right?

Also, my hearing is pretty sensitive, so I'm worried that in-ear phones will be too loud for me. (I'm listening to the Clip+ at about medium volume, on average, with the included earbuds. But if the environment is quiet, I turn the volume down to just above mute.) I use earplugs for sleep, so know that the sensation of something in my ear (assuming it fits decently) isn't a problem. But will the volume be? I otherwise find their size (and the likelihood that they'd stay in), along with the fact of them dampening outside noise somewhat pretty appealing.

I listen while exercising and buzzing around the house doing things, so whatever type I end up with, they need to stay put. And I carry the Clip+ around in my pocket or fanny pack, so the phones need to be small enough and sturdy enough to withstand frequent incidents of being stuffed in a pocket.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-19-2009, 02:45 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

I suggest a few in my audible review: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...ble-review.php

The Koss KSC75 is one choice. As for bass, bass freqs are low frequency, while spoken words are 1000Hz. You don't want sibilance, so bass is actually a good thing as bassy phones tend to be less sibilant. Depends on the phones of course

Old 12-19-2009, 11:06 PM

Thank you. I didn't think about the sibilance - that's a good point. I was just thinking that voices are a higher frequency, so I'd want those higher frequencies to have more emphasis than the bass. Okay, I'll go back to your Audible review and pick between the 3 phones you'd recommended.

Thanks again!