android
Old 12-07-2009, 07:47 PM

Default Has the volume problem on the Clip+ been fixed?

Hi! I'm new to this forum (great site!!) and pretty new to mp3 players. I'm mostly interesting in audio books and podcasts, some radio, occasional music, don't need video, and want something clip-able/small (I'll be listening while exercising, cooking, doing housework, etc.) The Sansa Clip+ seems perfect - but then I keep reading about the problems with the minimum volume on the radio being too high - and also saw reference to this issue with just the "regular" (non-radio) volume not going down very far, either. Is this still an issue? I have very sensitive hearing, and turn down the volume lower than most folks do already, so this would be a deal breaker for me, unfortunately.

(Could I use volume-adjustable earphones to reduce the volume further?)

Thank you!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-07-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldub View Post
Hi! I'm new to this forum (great site!!) ...
Welcome to abi, hope you enjoy the stay

AFAIK this issue was resolved long ago on the origional Clip with one of the firmware updates, they added more steps to the volume controll, but I wasn't aware this was an issue on the plus model. Since they haven't released any new firmware yet, if it is an issue that's been documented I would think SanDisk will address it, as they've been very responsive with other updates.

Also under the settings/volume they have normal and high mode, this should help if you select normal. And yes, you can use volume adjustable earphones to reduce volume more if needed.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-08-2009, 12:44 AM

Hi Ramon, thanks for the reply, and for the welcome! Yeah, the volume issue is listed in the "feature request/bug fix" thread in this forum for the Clip+, so it looks (at least to this newbie!) like a current issue. I think I might need to just buy one and see.

I'm tempted to get the FUSE - Costco has it very cheap right now - but I like the size of the Clip better, assuming the volume isn't a problem for me. Tough choices...

Thanks again!

Old 12-08-2009, 04:54 AM

I wouldn’t let that “feature request/bug fix” thread scare you away from getting a clip or the fuze, it’s a great little mp3 player. The kids & I have 4 of the original clips, guess the volume has never bothered me on it since the fw release for that model and then running rockbox on it over the last year. This is why I said it may be addressed in the plus as well.

If you get one just test it on normal mode as I said above, if that doesn’t work for you try an inline volume control as we discussed above. There is plenty around, from the inexpensive to the ridiculous ---> RadioShack has an inline volume control for $8.99 here, Koss VC20 Volume Control $7.13, Shure Level Attenuator Controller $20 or Sennheiser HZR 62 $39.95. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 12-08-2009, 04:29 PM

Thank you! I appreciate the specific names on the volume controllers and attenuator (the latter looks very interesting...)

Thanks again!

Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 AM

I also wanted to verify that my clip plus has no problem with volume. It has more "steps" than the ipod in volume. I'm like you and listen to music pretty quiet and sometimes find that I want a volume that's between let's say level 4 and 5. I don't have this problem with the clip. The difference between steps is almost inaudible.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:35 AM

Thank you. I picked up a Clip+ today, and you're right - for audiobooks/music, the volume is fine. (At least, with the included earbuds. Haven't tried it with in-ear phones yet.) The radio is another matter - the minimum is MUCH too loud!!

I've got some things to figure out yet about using the Clip+ - like how to jump by "chapters" in audio books, rather than just using ff through the entire file - but I'll mess around with it for awhile and see what I can sort out (I also downloaded the real manual from Sandisk, which should help).

Thanks so much to each of you for the help!!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:48 PM

Default Fix Volume

Select "Reset all" under System settings. Next, the clip will prompt you for language and region settings. Select "Rest of the world" to enable high volume setting (also found under system settings).

Last edited by WalkGood; 08-26-2010 at 04:35 AM.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctt View Post
Select "Reset all" under System settings. Next, the clip will prompt you for language and region settings. Select "Rest of the world" to enable high volume setting (also found under system settings).
If you had bothered to read the thread, rather than spam your other forum (which I deleted) you would have noticed that this thread is about "minimum volume," not the EU volume limiter solution you posted, which we have discussed in other threads on abi. But now that you mention it, the OP may want to change his region to EU to test if it can give him a lower volume, although I doubt it will.

Tags
clip+, volume