android
Old 12-07-2009, 12:42 PM

Default Music over cowon s9 tv out cable?

Hi,
Will the tv be able to play music only ( mp3, flac files )
when I connect cowon s9 to the tv using tv out cable .
Thank you

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-07-2009, 01:38 PM

You will be able to play both videos and music->Composite cable

Old 12-07-2009, 01:57 PM

I do not have the TV-out cable myself - but from all I gathered you can only use it in video mode, not in music mode.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I do not have the TV-out cable myself - but from all I gathered you can only use it in video mode, not in music mode.
That's what I heard too. Big shame if you ask me.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:02 PM

If you just want the audio portion, use the the audio out cable. I hooked mine up to the TV and then hooked the audio out up to my stereo.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 PM

I'm not sure what you mean... yes, you can hook the red and white RCA to your stereo - but that's only for video mode as well. You cannot do audio playback/audio mode over the video cable, only the audio track from videos work with it.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean... yes, you can hook the red and white RCA to your stereo - but that's only for video mode as well. You cannot do audio playback/audio mode over the video cable, only the audio track from videos work with it.

The Video Out cable hooks up to the Korean USB port. You can hook that up to your TV and also use the normal 3.5 mm (or whatever it is) audio out at the same time. If you only want the audio of a video just use the audio out port and forget about the video cable altogether.

But, I want to know if you can record video through the video cable on the S9? Because somewhere on the file system or the menu there is a "video captures" folder.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Linux View Post
The Video Out cable hooks up to the Korean USB port. You can hook that up to your TV and also use the normal 3.5 mm (or whatever it is) audio out at the same time. If you only want the audio of a video just use the audio out port and forget about the video cable altogether.
Heh, you still don't get the point... We were talking about AUDIO (Music... MP3s, FLAC, etc) not being able to be played over the video+audio cable. Like, you know, AUDIO, from the AUDIO player of the S9 - not from the video player.

It's about having a dedicated audio line-out on the S9, contrary to the pre-amplified headphone-out. That could give better audio quality feeding a portable headphone amplifier and such. But it's not possible with current firmwares (or any other Cowon player) anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Linux View Post
But, I want to know if you can record video through the video cable on the S9? Because somewhere on the file system or the menu there is a "video captures" folder.
No, you can't record video on the S9, only make screenshots. Maybe you can record on a DMB enabled S9, but certainly not on a regular one.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Video captures is just for photos of video scenes. You can capture a single frame off a video in the video player.

I hate no line out for audio, but have found several music videos of my favorite songs, so simply play the video file through TV and amp. The audio is suprisingly good and you get some eye candy while the song plays.

Last edited by Olley; 01-16-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:03 AM

I'd love for them to update the FW so you can use the TV-out cable as an audio line out. That'd be technically possible right?

Old 01-16-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
I'd love for them to update the FW so you can use the TV-out cable as an audio line out. That'd be technically possible right?
can't see why not

Old 01-16-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Heh, you still don't get the point... We were talking about AUDIO (Music... MP3s, FLAC, etc) not being able to be played over the video+audio cable. Like, you know, AUDIO, from the AUDIO player of the S9 - not from the video player.

It's about having a dedicated audio line-out on the S9, contrary to the pre-amplified headphone-out. That could give better audio quality feeding a portable headphone amplifier and such. But it's not possible with current firmwares (or any other Cowon player) anyways.
I see now what you are talking about. Yes, that would be a great idea.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:43 AM

Default Cowon S9 and Playing Audio Files into Receiver/Amp

Hi.. this is one of the forums I used when researching which DAP to buy and it was instrumental in me selecting the Cowon S9.. so thanks for the resource!

I was trying to get my music over the Tv-out using my Marantz receiver and Mordaunt Short speakers. Tried for over half an hour, thinking I needed to change either settings on the receiver or the Cowon or both. To no avail, so I got on the Net and started looking for the answer.. which led me here.

Of course, it made sense after I read the posts above that what I was doing was useless. And I also think there may be a hardware limitation preventing Cowon adapting the audio from the TV-out for use with audio-only files (that is just my own opinion, so don't quote me)!

Anyway, I was thinking about my disappointment, when I remembered some adapters I had lying around and Voila!.. put them together and I've got audio sound into my receiver and speakers from the Headphone Line-out. I've attached a couple of pics to show you what you'll need. Just buy the adapters from the electonics store.

These are RCA to mini (which plugs into the Cowon), Dual RCA to Single RCA (which plugs into the RCA to Mini), then your audio cables which plug into the Dual RCA.

You'll need to change your SQ settings on your Cowon, 'cause your output will sound totally different when not going to headphones. I also found the volume level needed to be ramped up very high on both the Cowon and my receiver. Presumably an amp/preamp in between the Cowon and receiver would give better/more amplified sound.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Audio Adapters & Cables.jpg (14.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Cowon S9 with Audio Adapters & Cables.jpg (15.7 KB, 20 views)

Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 AM

No wonder it sounds different... you made your stereo signal mono with the way you combined those plugs. That single male RCA to dual female RCA adapter mixes the stereo channels into one. As it seems from the screenshots, the 3.5mm adapter is mono as well.

What you probably want is simply something like this:

Anyways, that's the regular amped headphone-out... not a -10dBu line-out.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 AM

Oh, I just assumed the signal became stereo again, once it got fed through to the dual female adapter and the stereo cables.
If I understand you correctly, you're saying the mono signal from the mini-plug, remains a mono signal, even though it's split into the left and right audio cable. So, I was not being smart at all then! Your solution (apart from being stereo), is also much neater. Thanks for setting me straight.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:16 AM

Once the signal is mono, it can't be divided into two separate channels again. You can of course split it to be sent to two separate speakers, but they both reproduce the same signal, a mono mix of both the left and right channel, not a real stereo signal with two individual channels.